Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen problem

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭

Ok noticed a hairline crack this morning on my windscreen window..
    I must have been quite unlucky..
    Twice in a year despite only 10K distance travelled..

Anyway.. My question is with regards to windscreen cover with my insurance company (Quinn Direct)

On the website under Car FAQ (www.quinn-direct.ie/car/faqs.html)

it says: "Windscreen cover is available for both comprehensive and third party fire & theft for a small charge. This provides cover for the windscreen or windows of your car up to 500Eur. There is no excess and your no claims bonus will not be affected"

I have already claimed it once when I have it replace back in Sept 07..
    I think it cost about 200Eur..
    So if I get another one replace this time that cost about the same (Still covered within the same year)
    Does that count within the 500 limit??

Any other boards member have similar situation??
    Or anything to add??
    Or is the best thing I can do is call them and ask??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If your windscreen has cracked twice in recent years what is the history of your car, i.e has it ever been crashed? are the cracks in the same place?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

If your windscreen has cracked twice in recent years what is the history of your car, i.e has it ever been crashed? are the cracks in the same place?

I'm too lazy to dig out my Quinn policy at this hour, but some companies have a "2 screens a year" restriction.

A rough weld can cause this by putting pressure on the screen at one point, but IIRC that happens more frequently in cold weather as the frame shrinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is possible that the last windscreen was not fitted properly and cracked or you simply were unlucky.

To answer the original question, I would image the €500 ceiling is per windscreen but check your insurance policy or ring them to be sure. A few years ago I had to replace a front and rear windscreen within the space of a month of each other, both were covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If the crack is only small then they may be able to repair it. I'd bring it to Autoglass to get a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

nmacc wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to dig out my Quinn policy at this hour, but some companies have a "2 screens a year" restriction.

A rough weld can cause this by putting pressure on the screen at one point, but IIRC that happens more frequently in cold weather as the frame shrinks.
    It can also happen if the frame has a tight spot and the windscreen has no room to flex, can happen if the roof or some other section has been replaced in the car or if the window frame is distorted. The first thing I look at when buying a car / van is dose the windscreen look fresh? Its a good tell tail sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭lau1247

thanks all, the hairline crack is creeping ever so slightly but seem to have stopped.. don't think repair kit will do the job anymore.. definitely need to replace it either way..

It's been 10 months since the last time it was replaced. so the craftmanship seems to be alright.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement