Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Visa's.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

im 21, but am not a student anymore, i want to travel and live in Cali next year for 3-6 months.

does anyone know do i need to apply for a "visa"? a "work visa"? or is a non-student able to get a J1?

an if anyone else had dne the whole US working thing, do u need to open an American bank account also?

please help!

go raibh maith agaibh
    xxx
    Emma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Without being a student you can't get a J1 visa. Without being highly exceptional in a certain field you will not find a company to sponser you for a H1B visa which would allow you to work.

However if you don't plan on working you can go over to the states for 90 days without a visa on the VWP. Or you can apply for a tourist visa which is a maximum of 6 months. It is determined by the immigration officer on a case by case basis and you need to provide lots of proof that you will return home and have enough money to sustain your stay as you can't work on that visa.

So unless you plan to just go over as a tourist and not work you don't really have much viable options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Does anybody know if there is a visa which allows you to work and travel around America for a year? I cant get a J-1 as im not a student and i don't want to deal with the 2 year residency rule, where you have to return to your home country for 2 years when the visa expires. I heard that applies to some visas. There is a visa which allows you to don this in Australia, i'm sure somebody knows somebody who did it. Well like that one but for America!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Merged threads. - Tails, seet he post above. You're not going to have much luck on that front I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Cheers, thanks for the heads up!

Advertisement