Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science V Religion

Options
  • 20-06-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Science( RELIGION )Science

Science( Religion )Science

Science(Religion)Science - today

Science - not to distant future

As Time goes on the room religion has to move is slowly being decreased by our understanding of science. Coinciding with this is a better quality of life, greater understanding of the universe and ourselves, greater equality between the sexes and races, the list goes on feel free to add to it.

So i ask;
    Has religion been holding us back? Should we listen to science and reject it?

This is not really about the existence of a god but the effect of all religions on our society! But just so ya know their is none:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Religion is not always against science. Is religion holding us back? I think yes.

Church put Gelileo in jail, banned work of Copernicus and many other great books of information, including Darwin. Church out of politics!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In general I would say, no, religion doesn't still hold science back. As least not in the same sense as existed centuries ago with Galileo etc. That said, off the top of my head two exceptions I can think of are creationists and opponents of Embryonic stem cell research.

Though I would agree that because of science "God's" profile has been reduced to something intangible and unprovable. Now he exists outside of science. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dades wrote: »
    In general I would say, no, religion doesn't still hold science back. As least not in the same sense as existed centuries ago with Galileo etc. That said, off the top of my head two exceptions I can think of are creationists and opponents of Embryonic stem cell research.

Though I would agree that because of science "God's" profile has been reduced to something intangible and unprovable. Now he exists outside of science. Go figure!

I think western religions, or Christianity, is not so much holding back science anymore, but Islam sure is in Muslim countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Malari wrote: »
    I think western religions, or Christianity, is not so much holding back science anymore, but Islam sure is in Muslim countries!
    Good for us. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Malari wrote: »
    Islam sure is in Muslim countries!
    Good article about it here.

But perhaps one way to look at it, rather than oppressing science, Muslim countries just never embraced it after their "golden age" when they were the supposed hotbed of discovery.

The world isn't losing out in advancement because of the attitude, except in terms of manpower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dades wrote: »
    Good article about it here.

But perhaps one way to look at it, rather than oppressing science, Muslim countries just never embraced it after their "golden age" when they were the supposed hotbed of discovery.

The world isn't losing out in advancement because of the attitude, except in terms of manpower.

Its an interesting article alright, as an interesting aside there was an article on the bbc site a while back about a move by the Turkish authorities to reinterpret islam such that it would be a more modern religion and receptive to western thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Its an interesting article alright, as an interesting aside there was an article on the bbc site a while back about a move by the Turkish authorities to reinterpret islam such that it would be a more modern religion and receptive to western thinking.

Must have a read of that when I get a chance.

I think the danger is that science in muslim countries is often interpreted in the light of the koran and scientist's results are adjusted so that they reflect the "truth" of the koran. Nothing outside that is accepted.

"this notion of a science-positive Islam is often combined with ignorance about the details of science and an openness to some deeply pseudoscientific ideas."

Advertisement