Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment Drive For the British Army

• 20-06-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

This forum I believe have discussed this all before but I thought I would let you know. The Recruitment drive for the British Army is in full swing at present.

Both the Scots and Irish (Probably the rest too)home regiments are looking for decent recruits. A mate of mine is a recruiting officer here and is very impressed with the standard of recruits from the republic. If anyone wants his contact detials PM me he is a decent bloke to talk to if your considering it and dont want to talk to some gruff recruiting sargent.

I cant offer any insight into life in the BA but if anyone is interested in life in the British Army now would be a good time to talk to them.

That said they are always recruiting up here at some level.

You all are big enough to know the chances of finding a bullet will be higher than the PDF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 iwishicould

Just to add if anyone needs some info on the recruitment process and how it's done then drop me a PM. I'm near the end of the recruitment phase for officer. Have my final selection tests in August.

cheerio!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just to add if anyone needs some info on the recruitment process and how it's done then drop me a PM. I'm near the end of the recruitment phase for officer. Have my final selection tests in August.

Goodluck with that,what regiment...?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

cheerio!

how long was the application process for you ?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Goodluck with that,what regiment...?

Cheers! Either Royal Irish or Signals Corps. But that may change next year....

KINGPIN wrote: »
    how long was the application process for you ?

Had my first interview last November, then first part of selection in April. Final test in August. Reason it took so long was because of work and fitness commitments.

<Snip> All links/referrals/encouragements to join removed - Hagar <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

They need more cannon fodder for Iraq and Afganistan :(

They need more cannon fodder for Iraq and Afganistan :(

I am sure he is aware of this.

I am sure he is aware of this.

Spot on mate.

Sure what's the point in joining an Army if you don't want to go to war? It's like a football player being on the subs bench for his career. There is a part of me that wants to see and experience what it's like over there. Whether I ever get that chance is another story altogether.

Spot on mate.

Sure what's the point in joining an Army if you don't want to go to war

Ya, 'cause it is a bundle of laughs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Ya, 'cause it is a bundle of laughs :rolleyes:

The voice of experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

kermit_ie wrote: »
    The voice of experience?

Quoted for truth;)

No, I've seen enough war films :D

I don't need the experience either :pac:

Ever hear the only hero is a dead hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Ever hear "Stop talking bollox"?

Ok lads no more Off Topic posting,lets keep this thread on topic.

Thanks.

Cheers! Either Royal Irish or Signals Corps. But that may change next year....

Thats a tough choice,the Royal Irish is a great Regiment but I can also see the appeal of the Signals Corps.Whats your pros and cons for both of them...?Thats of course if you don't mind talking about it on an open forum.

Thats a tough choice,the Royal Irish is a great Regiment but I can also see the appeal of the Signals Corps.Whats your pros and cons for both of them...?Thats of course if you don't mind talking about it on an open forum.

Not atall, happy to answer any questions.

Well I've been over to UK to visit both infantry and signals corps and have chatted to Officers and Soldiers, played with their equipment and subsequently got drunk in their mess'. Pro's and Cons are difficult to say so I'll just tell you what I know, make your own conclusion ;)
    I can't speak for the Royal Irish as I haven't visited them yet but I have had a general Infantry visit. Got to see they're equipment (SA80, LAW, GPMG, BOWMAN, Bergans, Javelin etc), got a ride in a Warrior and got beasted through an assault course. From what the Officers I've been talking to, out of the 3, one has had a tour of Iraq as a Mechanized Infantry Platoon commander, one had a tour of Afghanistan as a Rifle Platoon Commander and the other a tour of Iraq as a Rifle Platoon Commander and susequently attached to a Colonal.
    Each Officer has had different experiences, the first two were only out of Sandhurst, done their Platoon Commanders course and then sent abroad. These were young lads, 20 - 23 years old. The third fella was 25 when he joined and now at 30 is a Captain. If you join Infantry older they will give you shorter stints abroad as Platoon Commander and try to push you up the ranks. He was attached to some Colonal for 3 months over there and then to intelligence. Far quicker than you normally would be.

For Sigs the two Officers (Captains) I chatted to lived very different experiences. The first once he finished Sandhurst was attached to the Gurkhas and sent to Nepal for three months. Then came back and sent to Florida for a year attached to USCENTCOM. When that tour finished he was sent to Afghan with his Gurkha Squadron.

The second chap came straight out of Sandhurst and headed to Iraq, spent 6 months there setting up comms between battalion HQ's. When he came back he was given 10months to get his squadron ready for Afghan. They went out with Landrovers with the objective of driving into far mountainous areas to draw out the Taleban. Very interesting!

It's difficult to draw pro's and cons between different Reg or Corps, the Sigs guys were doing very "SAS" style stuff with the landrovers in Afghan while the older Infantry Officer was more of an assistant to a particular Colonal - although he did say that he got to sit in very interesting meetings...

Being an Infantry Officer will more likely see you action on frontline in Afghan, while Sigs you may not be on frontline but the chances of you going to USA, Nepal, Germany, Cyprus etc is very high. All in all from what I have learned, joining as an Officer, even for only 5 years, you will experience much more than you would ever in a lifetime in Civvy life.

Hope that makes some sort of sense....

Difficult choice,I can see the merits of both.iirc The Royal Irish are part of 16 Air Assault Brigade..?and out in Afghanistan at the moment.When do you have to decide...?I went through the process (although for a grunt) back in the 90s.

Difficult choice,I can see the merits of both.iirc The Royal Irish are part of 16 Air Assault Brigade..?and out in Afghanistan at the moment.When do you have to decide...?I went through the process (although for a grunt) back in the 90s.

Yeah Royal Irish are in 16AA and out in Afghan, Should be back in September or October. I get to decide on 5 reg or corps on entering Sandhurst and by the end of the first 5weeks (if I recall)I have to pair it down to 2. Then midway through Sandhurst I go on visits and interviews to those two reg or corps and try and persuade them to take me after I pass out. Not sure what it's like for a grunt tho.

What reg or corps were you in if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

Zambia232 wrote: »
    This forum I believe have discussed this all before but I thought I would let you know. The Recruitment drive for the British Army is in full swing at present.

Both the Scots and Irish (Probably the rest too)home regiments are looking for decent recruits. A mate of mine is a recruiting officer here and is very impressed with the standard of recruits from the republic. If anyone wants his contact detials PM me he is a decent bloke to talk to if your considering it and dont want to talk to some gruff recruiting sargent.

I cant offer any insight into life in the BA but if anyone is interested in life in the British Army now would be a good time to talk to them.

That said they are always recruiting up here at some level.

You all are big enough to know the chances of finding a bullet will be higher than the PDF.

And I suppose this mate of yours is getting recruitment bounty for every person he recruits I know this scam as I have a mate in the RIR..... ;)

• Advertisement

MacBuster wrote: »
    And I suppose this mate of yours is getting recruitment bounty for every person he recruits I know this scam as I have a mate in the RIR..... ;)

The Queens shilling ?

The Queens shilling ?

You get money or leave for every new body recruited.....

No different from companies in the private sector. A friend of mine works for Sun Microsystems and gets a bonus for every person he hires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Most Military organisations do this, especially if they need Bods at the moment. Its just the done thing.

The Yanks do it, just ask Manic Moran, I can't remember what they are called but the guys that do it get like a $2,000 bounty for getting a guy to go to a recruiter and help him through it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am sure he does ,I never saw the need to ask. I dont see why its a scam, if you dont want to join dont. He wont get a bonus and they dont get a job lose lose scenario.

As for the cannon fodder comment. Personnally speaking loads of my mates love the army its all they want to do. The danger simply makes the job what it is, and I would rather see them love their job than be safe and miserable in an office,site,factory etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I am sure he does ,I never saw the need to ask. I dont see why its a scam, if you dont want to join dont. He wont get a bonus and they dont get a job lose lose scenario.

As for the cannon fodder comment. Personnally speaking loads of my mates love the army its all they want to do. The danger simply makes the job what it is, and I would rather see them love their job than be safe and miserable in an office,site,factory etc.

Meh you can't buy my loyality, if i have to choose i'd choose the PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Riddle101 wrote: »

The Brits are hardly buying loyalty on the wages they pay. I would doubt that financial gain is the main concern for those joining the BA.

cushtac wrote: »
    The Brits are hardly buying loyalty on the wages they pay. I would doubt that financial gain is the main concern for those joining the BA.

The Pay and Conditions here is now one of the Highest in Europe bar the Scandinavians, people in the BA have their families on income support and some are on the breadline...Poor Ba5tards

You will never have to choose

Plus I would not be joining for financial gain at squaddie level. I know some people who are now qualified doctors via the army so as in all career chioces think a few years ahead.

• Advertisement

You will never have to choose

Plus I would not be joining for financial gain at squaddie level. I know some people who are now qualified doctors via the army so as in all career chioces think a few years ahead.
    Thats fine when your 18 or 19 and I agree but getting down the road money does talk

Thats fine when your 18 or 19 and I agree but getting down the road money does talk

Agree totally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Does anyone know what the irish results requirements are for the british army officer entry are???Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Not atall, happy to answer any questions.

Well I've been over to UK to visit both infantry and signals corps and have chatted to Officers and Soldiers, played with their equipment and subsequently got drunk in their mess'. Pro's and Cons are difficult to say so I'll just tell you what I know, make your own conclusion ;)
    I can't speak for the Royal Irish as I haven't visited them yet but I have had a general Infantry visit. Got to see they're equipment (SA80, LAW, GPMG, BOWMAN, Bergans, Javelin etc), got a ride in a Warrior and got beasted through an assault course. From what the Officers I've been talking to, out of the 3, one has had a tour of Iraq as a Mechanized Infantry Platoon commander, one had a tour of Afghanistan as a Rifle Platoon Commander and the other a tour of Iraq as a Rifle Platoon Commander and susequently attached to a Colonal.
    Each Officer has had different experiences, the first two were only out of Sandhurst, done their Platoon Commanders course and then sent abroad. These were young lads, 20 - 23 years old. The third fella was 25 when he joined and now at 30 is a Captain. If you join Infantry older they will give you shorter stints abroad as Platoon Commander and try to push you up the ranks. He was attached to some Colonal for 3 months over there and then to intelligence. Far quicker than you normally would be.

For Sigs the two Officers (Captains) I chatted to lived very different experiences. The first once he finished Sandhurst was attached to the Gurkhas and sent to Nepal for three months. Then came back and sent to Florida for a year attached to USCENTCOM. When that tour finished he was sent to Afghan with his Gurkha Squadron.

The second chap came straight out of Sandhurst and headed to Iraq, spent 6 months there setting up comms between battalion HQ's. When he came back he was given 10months to get his squadron ready for Afghan. They went out with Landrovers with the objective of driving into far mountainous areas to draw out the Taleban. Very interesting!

It's difficult to draw pro's and cons between different Reg or Corps, the Sigs guys were doing very "SAS" style stuff with the landrovers in Afghan while the older Infantry Officer was more of an assistant to a particular Colonal - although he did say that he got to sit in very interesting meetings...

Being an Infantry Officer will more likely see you action on frontline in Afghan, while Sigs you may not be on frontline but the chances of you going to USA, Nepal, Germany, Cyprus etc is very high. All in all from what I have learned, joining as an Officer, even for only 5 years, you will experience much more than you would ever in a lifetime in Civvy life.

Hope that makes some sort of sense....

Honest question why the british army?

shezer wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the irish results requirements are for the british army officer entry are???Thanks

Minimum pass leaving cert I think. Results usually don't matter aslong as you do well in both selection tests (Briefing and Main Board).

Action, adventure and the thrill of doing something completely different. Look at the opportunities you get in the BA, you won't find a quarter of them in the PDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Any number of factors I would guess, its presumably easier to join the BA than the defence forces - the defence forces take around 35 cadets for the army and have something like 900 applications for those places. Larger numbers go to sandhurst so the numbers are more in your favour. If you had laser surgery its banned by the df but accepted by the British Army

wider choice of roles in the british army eg. you won't be commanding main battle tanks in the defence forces or taking part in large scale airborne/helicopter ops. In short more toys for the boys.

More and faster promotion ops - Their Majors are always seem a fair bit younger than our Commandants - with a larger force there are presumably more avenues of promotion.

Iraq and Afghanistan. Mad as it sounds, some people will want the stuff that involves bringing wholesale quantities of death and destruction upon the enemy as opposed to peacekeeping or peace enforcement with the defence forces. The BA go on more operations with "the gloves off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blade796

The Pay and Conditions here is now one of the Highest in Europe bar the Scandinavians, people in the BA have their families on income support and some are on the breadline...Poor Ba5tards

blade796 wrote: »
    Not true BA squaddies start on 16k sterling per yr Sgts are on around 27 plus perks.

During basic training squaddies are on around 12k sterling.

I have two younger brothers in and the pay is crap...They are on income support for their families, dont try to Bullsh1t a Bullsh1tter

I have two younger brothers in and the pay is crap...They are on income support for their families, dont try to Bullsh1t a Bullsh1tter

With all due respect Mac for a single bloke the pay is all right for a family I can see where they would struggle.

Personnal factors like what are my bills should be considered before taking any job.

The BA takes unqualified people and trains them up from scratch. and after basic pays them 16,000 a year. Thats not bad to be fair, granted you risk your life but its not like anyone forces you to join. its a bit like what neilled has stated there are other factors.

With all due respect Mac for a single bloke the pay is all right for a family I can see where they would struggle.

Personnal factors like what are my bills should be considered before taking any job.

The BA takes unqualified people and trains them up from scratch. and after basic pays them 16,000 a year. Thats not bad to be fair, granted you risk your life but its not like anyone forces you to join. its a bit like what neilled has stated there are other factors.

Correct and Right but it is not all roses and chocolates...

• Advertisement

Action, adventure and the thrill of doing something completely different. Look at the opportunities you get in the BA, you won't find a quarter of them in the PDF.

i understand the more oppertunities, the PDF is a bit of a joke but why the british exactly?

do you any grief for being irish?

neilled wrote: »
    Any number of factors I would guess, its presumably easier to join the BA

How come people from the republic join? can anyone?

i understand the more oppertunities, the PDF is a bit of a joke but why the british exactly?

Sorry Mister Expert the PDF a joke please enligthen us all on your extensive Military knowledge as it seems you have F*ck all....

From old colonial days Britain still has a law declaring Irishmen can still serve in the British Army as they have done for hundreds of years.

Why the British exactly? Sure why not?

Any grief for being Irish? No I have never gotten any grief for being Irish in Ireland.

And the PDF is not a joke, they just don't have as much opportunities as are available in the BA. You'll find some of the finest Officers and Soldiers in the PDF.

Any chance this thread can go back on topic, I'm offering ADVICE to anyone even thinking of going over. Stop asking me mong questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Have you ever seen what the PDF are like? have you worked with them or trained with them? I don't know where people get this notion that the PDF is a joke, it's far from it, even better maybe you should check out the ARW and see if that is a joke

Have you ever seen what the PDF are like? have you worked with them or trained with them? I don't know where people get this notion that the PDF is a joke, it's far from it, even better maybe you should check out the ARW and see if that is a joke

Why are you assuming he has not checked out the PDF...?or maybe he is just not interested in joining the PDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

May I ask why this has gone so off topic...It was simply put here cos a Guy knows a guy who can help with BA Recruitment.

There is no real need to compare the PDF to the BA....There are so many reasons that people would choose to go to the BA that it is pointless to argue the whole "But Ireland..."point.

Can we please just get on with the thread. Let people ask questions about the recruitment process and let it lie????

Well thats it. Personally, since I can't join the PDF for certain reasons (Relating to the DF's slightly Backwardness) I will be applying for a US Green Card at the end of this year. and Failing that I will probably apply for the BA or RM.

So back to the topic please, Thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blade796

What has the ARW ever done ? Not being disrespectful, but reputations are actually won on the battlefield.

Until that time there will always be a question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

blade796 wrote: »
    What has the ARW ever done ?
    oh no here we go again

back on topic, what is the upper age limit for the BA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Let's keep this on topic.

If you want to go off on a tangent, start your own thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement