Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment Drive For the British Army

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 iwishicould

zig wrote: »
    oh no here we go again

back on topic, what is the upper age limit for the BA?

28 for Officers, 33 for Soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

28 for Officers, 33 for Soldiers.

Corrrect again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Ok I have no military involvement whatsoever but even I have heard that our PDF are one of the best peacekeeping units out there and the ARW are the best that the PDF has to offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RexMundi wrote: »
    Ok I have no military involvement whatsoever but even I have heard that our PDF are one of the best peacekeeping units out there and the ARW are the best that the PDF has to offer.

Ok for The Last Time this thread is not about the PDF or the ARW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Publius Scipio

OK, this guy is obviously trying really hard to get people to join the British Army. Why? What's in it for him? And why are people so interested in joining the British Army anyway? These people would happily have seen us wiped off the face of the map up until they lost the war in the North. Not an IRA supporter, before you ask, but I have a lot of military experience and have fought in a couple of wars and I can tell you that noone I have ever met who was in a proper firefight has come out of it wanting to boast about it or even repeat the experience anytime soon. A good friend of mine was killed near me in Afghanistan at the age of 19 and I was the one who had to sit with his family at the funeral and comfort his hysterical mother and sister. For any of you to think that your death will make one iota of a difference in any war shows a complete naivete that frankly boggles my mind.
    Anyway, yes there is a recruitment bonus for every friend of yours that you get to join the Brits. A mate of mine recently tried to get me signed up and was going to get a 200 pound bonus if he could. I declined obviously. The Brits are only looking for bullet catchers in Iraq anyway, so why the hell would I want to do that? The Royal Irish Regiment is full to the brim with staunch loyalists so if you want to be called a fenian and a taig for the rest of your lives, then sign up and have at you. I have experience dealing with those bastards as a translator and they despise the Irish. I remember talking to one guy from Dublin and he couldn't wait for his tour to finish so he could go AWOL when he got home. Anyone who joins the Brits, or the Legion or the Marines or any other army in this day and age needs to have their head examined. Thats my two cents anyway.
    By all means, reply to me and tell me that I'm an idiot and that I haven't a clue what it's like and that I have a yellow streak or whatever. Work all that latent anger out now and maybe you won't feel the need to go to the Middle East and have your brains splattered all over some road in Iraq, or have your arms and legs blown off in Afghanistan and end up having to have your parents change your colostomy bag every few hours. Or maybe you'll be lucky and only have to kill a few people. Then in a few years as you are doing something like walking your dog or picking your child up from school, out of nothing, their faces will pop into your mind and you will start blubbing like a baby or maybe become physically sick with guilt. Won't that all be so ****ing exciting. Sorry to the moderator for swearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

May I ask who you fought for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Royal Signals or Royal Irish........

It would be a no brainer for me, the Signals is one of the most boring roles out there. If you like the idea of being a REMF and sitting in a tent for 6 months at the time on ops then its a great role. Signals is also up there as having the most bullsh1t for the sake of it. So join the army and sweep the world, paint grass green and trees brown (I kid you not). On the plus side the training in telcoms is good and jobs after service are generally easy to find. Also monthly mess bills can often be more than your monthly salary especially after you buy your number 1 dress and crates of Port for the rest of the mess as signals are known for high mess bills. The only higher ones I know are the guards and the old Blues and Royals (well most cavalry units). SAS type activities in land rovers are not exciting you will only relay the coms or fit out the special forces radios. The Signals SAS troop is a joke of the Regiment BTW.

I was an officer in the Royal Engineers but went through the ranks, at Sergeant I did the late entry commissioning course. I actually left school with no qualifications and I was well on the way to getting in to trouble with the law. The army straightened me out and I was also well educated. Royal Engineers was a good role, you are all over the world and the best job in the world is a 6 month construction tour with the Royal Engineers!

Pay is fine, ok you will never be rich but you will have roof over your head and three cooked meals a day even if you are broke. If your married then rent on the married quarters is competitive. If your stationed in the UK without the overseas allowances then it is tough going financially so expect the spouse to work as well to make ends meet. If you are posted to Germany for instance with the allowances and semi tax free status (cheap petrol, cigarette's, booze and a tax free car) its a comfortable life.

Lastly cushy trips to florida and like are extremely rare and are limited to just a few percent of people in the forces.

OK, this guy is obviously trying really hard to get people to join the British Army.

Incorrect I am not even trying at all, it makes no odds to me who joins. I have stated that.

With all due respect if someone wants to join that is there decision everyone knows full well the chance of major injury or death. Together with all the other factors you have mentioned including PTSD , which is not nice.

The last post however gives a fair view.

Zambia232 wrote: »

The last post gives one man's experience, another man's can be very different. Don't allow yourself to think that everyone in the BA will greet you like a long lost brother.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    The last post gives one man's experience, another man's can be very different. Don't allow yourself to think that everyone in the BA will greet you like a long lost brother.

This is true but its still a fair view re a lot of the questions posted wages etc

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Incorrect I am not even trying at all, it makes no odds to me who joins. I have stated that.

With all due respect if someone wants to join that is there decision everyone knows full well the chance of major injury or death. Together with all the other factors you have mentioned including PTSD , which is not nice.

Apologies to you, I was actually speaking of iwishicould. His other posts have the ring of a recruiter.

Actually. it is my experience that most recruits have no idea what they are getting themselves into. I trained both French and British recruits and can tell you that most have no clue as to the realities of combat. The ones who do invariably go for the so called REMF regiments as they have no intention of getting killed. The army is just a job to them and they see no reason why they should treat it as anything else. And if you want to talk about fair and balanced view, I invite you to write to the MOD and get them to show footage of young men with their insides hanging out or with 90 percent of their skin burned off in their advertisements alongside the guys having great craic in a nightclub or skiing in Canada. Or maybe they could show footage of themselves trying to evict Ian Malones wife from her married quarters.
    Of course it is their decision. You are trying to influence that decision in your posts, because of your experiences trying to become an officer. Surely I have the right to try and influence people with my experience in three different wars. I mean no offence to you and I wish you the best of luck in your career. But you must understand that it is a much different experience being in the ranks than being an officer.

Apologies to you, I was actually speaking of iwishicould. His other posts have the ring of a recruiter.

Actually. it is my experience that most recruits have no idea what they are getting themselves into. I trained both French and British recruits and can tell you that most have no clue as to the realities of combat. The ones who do invariably go for the so called REMF regiments as they have no intention of getting killed. The army is just a job to them and they see no reason why they should treat it as anything else. And if you want to talk about fair and balanced view, I invite you to write to the MOD and get them to show footage of young men with their insides hanging out or with 90 percent of their skin burned off in their advertisements alongside the guys having great craic in a nightclub or skiing in Canada. Or maybe they could show footage of themselves trying to evict Ian Malones wife from her married quarters.
    Of course it is their decision. You are trying to influence that decision in your posts, because of your experiences trying to become an officer. Surely I have the right to try and influence people with my experience in three different wars. I mean no offence to you and I wish you the best of luck in your career. But you must understand that it is a much different experience being in the ranks than being an officer.

Jesus, again I get you mixed up. :-) But I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Jesus, again I get you mixed up. :-) But I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

I get your gist. I wont press you on explaining the detail's.

I assure you I am not a recruiter, I've actually only done the main board and not even in the BA yet. I'm offering advice and help for Irishmen because it's a huge step to take. Just passing on advice that's all.

I've never had any bad experiences being Irish so far, have met plenty of other Irish potential officers aswell. I get this all the time from friends and family, the obvious "you don't know what you're getting yourself into..". The same comments don't wear me down, only make me more determined to get there in the end.

I've heard all the horror stories, met the officers who have been in the heat of the battle, seen amputees and so on. Nothing has put me off, why should it?

It's my life, I can do what I ****ing want with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You know iwishicould, iwishicould. but I can't now. I'm too ****in old. These decisions are serious ones and not to be taken lightly especially in todays global climate. Best of luck in your application I hope you get what your after.

Publius Scipio your posts speaks volumes, thankfully I, and many here have never experienced them, but I get a definate negative vibe off your posts but your reasons are obvious...its a warning that its a hazardous job that can get you bored, dead, and at worst seriously F*cked up. I would hope that these guys applying now to the Army British, Irish, French or otherwise are aware of this fact. And I'm sure they are. (they have the tinternet)

There has to have been some time when you thought that what you were doing was worth it, worth the risk, why would you have bothered? twice, by the sounds of it. Tell you what, you give me a positive and as a busy body, i'll shut the f*ck up ;).

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »

Pu..its a warning that its a hazardous job that can get you bored, dead, and at worst seriously F*cked up. I would hope that these guys applying now to the Army British, Irish, French or otherwise are aware of this fact. And I'm sure they are. (they have the tinternet)

My Career was ended by a landmine in the Balkans I also posted on this link some of the negative points that you do not see on a recruitment video. If could do it all again I would!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305751

Double post....Deleted

I honestly think that there was never a time where I truly believed in what I was doing. I left school without enough leaving cert points to get into a local college. I bummed around for a long time and got into some trouble for fighting and drinking and stuff. I went to America for a few years and straightened myself out there with the help of my now ex-girlfriend. I came back to Ireland a few months before 911 and was sick of a constant string of dead end jobs, so I decided that I could have a career in the army. I come from a long line of soldiers, so it was almost like joining the family business. It's a strange thing to say, but it actually fit like a glove for the first few months. I was good at it, I was comfortable and relatively happy. That doesn't last long though. My real problem was my fear of civilian life. Army life is simple, paint this, run there, shoot that, that kind of thing. Everything is planned out for you, there is very little chance to think for yourself.

A bit of advice for iwishicould. Lose the spoiled child, "I'll do what I want" attitude before you go to Sandhurst. You most likely will meet some bull of a Sergeant-Major there and he will tear you into little strips if he gets that vibe off of you. No offence man. Just an honest piece of advice.

Love the post, Leadership. I sometimes think that some of the guys on here have a very Hollywood attitude towards war and the military. Its refreshing to see someone saying "Hold on a sec...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

OK, this guy is obviously trying really hard to get people to join the British Army. Why? What's in it for him? And why are people so interested in joining the British Army anyway? These people would happily have seen us wiped off the face of the map up until they lost the war in the North. Not an IRA supporter, before you ask, but I have a lot of military experience and have fought in a couple of wars and I can tell you that noone I have ever met who was in a proper firefight has come out of it wanting to boast about it or even repeat the experience anytime soon. A good friend of mine was killed near me in Afghanistan at the age of 19 and I was the one who had to sit with his family at the funeral and comfort his hysterical mother and sister. For any of you to think that your death will make one iota of a difference in any war shows a complete naivete that frankly boggles my mind.
    Anyway, yes there is a recruitment bonus for every friend of yours that you get to join the Brits. A mate of mine recently tried to get me signed up and was going to get a 200 pound bonus if he could. I declined obviously. The Brits are only looking for bullet catchers in Iraq anyway, so why the hell would I want to do that? The Royal Irish Regiment is full to the brim with staunch loyalists so if you want to be called a fenian and a taig for the rest of your lives, then sign up and have at you. I have experience dealing with those bastards as a translator and they despise the Irish. I remember talking to one guy from Dublin and he couldn't wait for his tour to finish so he could go AWOL when he got home. Anyone who joins the Brits, or the Legion or the Marines or any other army in this day and age needs to have their head examined. Thats my two cents anyway.
    By all means, reply to me and tell me that I'm an idiot and that I haven't a clue what it's like and that I have a yellow streak or whatever. Work all that latent anger out now and maybe you won't feel the need to go to the Middle East and have your brains splattered all over some road in Iraq, or have your arms and legs blown off in Afghanistan and end up having to have your parents change your colostomy bag every few hours. Or maybe you'll be lucky and only have to kill a few people. Then in a few years as you are doing something like walking your dog or picking your child up from school, out of nothing, their faces will pop into your mind and you will start blubbing like a baby or maybe become physically sick with guilt. Won't that all be so ****ing exciting. Sorry to the moderator for swearing.

In what capacity did you "train the BA", your claim in a previous post ?

"The Royal Irish Regiment is full to the brim with staunch loyalists so if you want to be called a fenian and a taig for the rest of your lives, then sign up and have at you. I have experience dealing with those bastards as a translator and they despise the Irish"

Absolute garbage, obviously banter goes on like it does in all regiments, but to claim the RIR hates Irish identity and victimises soldiers from the south shows you have never worked with them. And are simply living in the 1980s.

Gaa tops and celtic tops are even worn in the mess for f... sake. Some officers and NCOs, inc previous RSMs have been southeners.

A bit of advice for iwishicould. Lose the spoiled child, "I'll do what I want" attitude before you go to Sandhurst. You most likely will meet some bull of a Sergeant-Major there and he will tear you into little strips if he gets that vibe off of you. No offence man. Just an honest piece of advice.

Spoilt child? Well I don't reckon I'm spoilt, I work for a living, have a mortgage, car and good job. I've worked for it with no handme downs. The "I'll do want I want" attitude is for the negative vibes from people telling me I'm nuts to go for the BA. I've been training/on trips over to the BA for a year now and yes I do know how to behave appropriately at Sandhurst.

I'm not as young or clueless as you or others may think "mate".

• Advertisement

Never said you were, son. Just you're "It's my life so I'll do what I want with it" was very Cartman. I'm sure you'll make a fine officer.

I obviously bow to your superior military experience, cherrypicker. What exactly was it again?

Never said you were, son. Just you're "It's my life so I'll do what I want with it" was very Cartman. I'm sure you'll make a fine officer.

I obviously bow to your superior military experience, cherrypicker. What exactly was it again?

And what was yours? Oh wait you never proved your military experience.

Let's not get too personal folks.

Publius Scipio has PMed me details which I accept. He does not have to make them public.

I don't know why people with no military credentials will not accept that there is a less than glamourous side to military life when it's laid out in black and white by some who has been through combat. It's not all parades and flag waving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what advice you get or how many stories you hear from other people's experiences you will only know yourself how you will get on in the BA if you go and do it yourself. The only advice I would give is that if its really what you want DO IT, because if you don't you WILL regret it. I applied for both the Irish army and the BA at the same time, going up to Holywood and doing all the interviews, medicals etc but the way it worked out I got the offer from the PDF first and took it. However I regret not having gone to the BA but thats life.
    I think if its a career as a soldier you want the BA is the only way to go about it.

Did we all see the report on Sky News as to the recruiting stats for the British Army? I've forgotten the exact figures but it seems that up to a third of all recruits failed for what ever reason to reach passing out. But it seems that applications are up! A direct effect of the downturn in the economy and rising Unemployment figures.

Edit: found the clip.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/British-army-recruitment-up-as-recession-bites/Video/200810215120175?lpos=video_Article_Related_Content_Region_1&lid=VIDEO_15120175_British_army_recruitment_up_as_recession_bites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Did we all see the report on Sky News as to the recruiting stats for the British Army? I've forgotten the exact figures but it seems that up to a third of all recruits failed for what ever reason to reach passing out. But it seems that applications are up! A direct effect of the downturn in the economy and rising Unemployment figures.

Any links? I gave news.sky a quick search but didn't find the report.

If you trained the BA as claimed you would be well aware of the grievance procedures/redress procedures in place, you would also not make false claims about soldiers from the rep being victimised in the RIR being as "taigs", which is a blatant lie.

My moneys on you being an Irish republican.

WOW...this time I think you might have the wrong end of the stick Cherrypicker. that **** goes on, we all know it does, it comes with the territory, gonna make a small list for ya.

wideboy,scouse,taff,scot,manurian,mick,fudgy,boar,(won't say Pa**i, or the other version of),northener,southener,foreigner,johhny,paddy,delboy....etc, etc. etc. get it? its the way it is. I'm sure a certain amount of it goes on in the PDF/RDF as well, let me see..

the obvious ones, kerryman,bogger,towny,dub,corkese,skanger, blah, blah, blah. Its not racism, or which side of the border you happen to have been born, the colour of your skin or what kind of an accent you have. Its the armed forces, Army, Navy, Airforce worldwide they all have to be so PC these days but it does go on, Its the diversity that makes it gel though, its all about your mates, the ones you basha up with, or have a brew or a scoff with. Your mates, surely you get it??

WOW...this time I think you might have the wrong end of the stick Cherrypicker. that **** goes on, we all know it does, it comes with the territory, gonna make a small list for ya.

wideboy,scouse,taff,scot,manurian,mick,fudgy,boar,(won't say Pa**i, or the other version of),northener,southener,foreigner,johhny,paddy,delboy....etc, etc. etc. get it? its the way it is. I'm sure a certain amount of it goes on in the PDF/RDF as well, let me see..

the obvious ones, kerryman,bogger,towny,dub,corkese,skanger, blah, blah, blah. Its not racism, or which side of the border you happen to have been born, the colour of your skin or what kind of an accent you have. Its the armed forces, Army, Navy, Airforce worldwide they all have to be so PC these days but it does go on, Its the diversity that makes it gel though, its all about your mates, the ones you basha up with, or have a brew or a scoff with. Your mates, surely you get it??

In fact this goes on everywhere in the north, banter is not restricted to south of the border.

There was an article in Sundays paper about a RIR soldier from down south who joined in 2003 and he likes it.he also states there is no-prejudice (However is built like a brick sh*thouse) against him. The same article has another in a box with a union jack on it.

The tinternet is a great source of data for all that.

Besides the pionts been made give it another few years the Brits will probably have all the soldiers they need from the UK population. As an officer said to me downturns suit us recruitment wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 juan 79

Hi all ,I`m new to the forum.Interesting thread,I`m thinking of joining the Royal Marines or the royal Irish,I`ll have an RM recruiter on the phone to me in the next few days,the thing is I don`t know what I`m in for.I have military experience in the PDF but ....well sorry I`m not articulating what I`m thinking well...I`m nervous about being irish and if I`m going to be in for hassle?? I`m thinking the worst about bullying,I saw a report a few years ago in the english media stating that a high number of soldiers suffer with mental health problems.This has me anxious I dont want to end up messed up psychologically??

I`m thinking to meself is this a no brainer, have to leave college and well a life behind or could it turn out to be a highly enjoying and fulfilling decision?
    <Snip> All links/referrals/encouragements to join removed - Hagar <snip>

• Advertisement

juan 79 wrote: »
    Hi all ,I`m new to the forum.Interesting thread,I`m thinking of joining the Royal Marines or the royal Irish,I`ll have an RM recruiter on the phone to me in the next few days,the thing is I don`t know what I`m in for.I have military experience in the PDF but ....well sorry I`m not articulating what I`m thinking well...I`m nervous about being irish and if I`m going to be in for hassle?? I`m thinking the worst about bullying,I saw a report a few years ago in the english media stating that a high number of soldiers suffer with mental health problems.This has me anxious I dont want to end up messed up psychologically??

I`m thinking to meself is this a no brainer, have to leave college and well a life behind or could it turn out to be a highly enjoying and fulfilling decision?

Post traumatic stress is obviously a risk those who have served in warzones can face, its not just in the BA.

The Royal Marines are over subscribed and are choosy, even to get selected for training an extreme level of fitness is required, only the most motivated last the course, its a 90% drop out rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

On the first part about college you will not be able to do a degree course but there are opportunities for say elements of Marine Engineering. This used to be up to City and Guilds level and would last anywhere from 3 months to 18 months.

As for restricted specialisations in my day certain intelligence roles were restricted with certain Signals roles. I would imagine it would be the same now. Dont worry those roles are not very exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Misanthropy

Does anyone know how strict they are on health conditions? The rule on asthma is no attacks or even medication in the last 4 years.

I havn't taken any medication for more than a year now, and I can do 5km runs in the cold without any respiratory problem - no wheezing or anything of the sort. So as far as I'm concerned i'm totally asthma-free.

But as it's said - any medication in the last 4 years and you've no chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Does anyone know how strict they are on health conditions? The rule on asthma is no attacks or even medication in the last 4 years.

I havn't taken any medication for more than a year now, and I can do 5km runs in the cold without any respiratory problem - no wheezing or anything of the sort. So as far as I'm concerned i'm totally asthma-free.

But as it's said - any medication in the last 4 years and you've no chance?

*Cough*How will they know if you have taken Meds in the last 4 years?*Cough*

Never volunteer information!!!

Too True

They check your medical records, but I suppose they can't access that if it' outside the UK?

I don't want to lie about it though, an asthma attack can cost lives :/

Does anyone know how strict they are on health conditions?

Its 50/50 in your case, some units like the logistics corps, medical corp have much lower health standards. In fact there are lads with only one leg serving in the RAMC I know because one beat me on a BFT I ran there.

The issue I would consider is ok you can run 5 miles in shorts and trainers and you can probably easily complete the minimum fitness requirements but most of the physical the real physical activities happen on exercise or training courses. I would ask yourself could you run 5 miles with a restricted airflow like with a resperator on your face. These lower the airflow into your lungs by around 30%. Could you also run carrying a 20 liter gerry can full of water for 500 meters? You would be in full CEFO with 30 pounds of webbing and carrying rifle and helmet so taking it up to 50 pounds or so with your wet combats.

Anyway I think the best course of action is to be honest, you will only kid yourself as you would not belive how many medicals you have in selection and the first 3 months. Another option is the RAF????

Best of luck to you

• Advertisement

Leadership wrote: »
    Another option is the RAF????

I've checked the websites of both the RAF and the Navy and most of the jobs seem to be restricted to british citizens, and some even to citizens since birth :(

Thanks for your help.

I've checked the websites of both the RAF and the Navy and most of the jobs seem to be restricted to british citizens, and some even to citizens since birth :(

Thats only for Aircrew I thought, you can do almost any ground role apart from Intelligence or Air traffic. Also there is some flexibility once you are in as I do know an Irish Helicopter pilot in the RAF who started as a technician and was excepted for flight training. He was good and a very hard worker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

But theres no nationality restrictions for Intelligence in the BA is it?

Conor108 wrote: »
    But theres no nationality restrictions for Intelligence in the BA is it?

There used to be but again if you can perform a function they want then rules are bent. Plus the intelligence service is quite complicated as if you join the Int Corps then you would be basically a secretary as the role is boring. The real element to Military Intelligence is performed by special units formed by All arms like in my day the 14th Intelligence Company (14 Int) and Irish would have used here.

• Advertisement

I`ll be 29 by December 27th ,is that too late?

I'm guessing (though I have no experience of the matter) that you must have commenced training before you're 29, rather than just started the application process.

Eh no ,ahvent even started the enlistment process yet??

It's 33 if you're applying to join as a soldier rather than as a cadet.

Edit: Sorry just saw your other post.

I`ll be 29 by December 27th ,is that too late?

Enlistment should happen by time you are 29, you could try anyway. A lot depends on the vacancies that are available at the time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement