Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the couple is married

Options
  • 20-06-2008 12:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

is that right? or is it 'the couple are married?'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you people are useless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hmm, not sure, M$ Word IRL / English says its okay both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think both are acceptable, but "The couple are married" sounds better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

They are both correct.

The same goes for other collective terms such as family, team, group...etc.

In British English we tend to use the plural verb, therefore "the couple are" sounds better, whereas in American English, they prefer to use the singular verb, so they would be more comfortable saying "the couple is".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

They're subtly different but ammount to the same thing.

The couple is married → The [pairing of two people] is [a married couple].

The couple are married → The [two people who are in the pairing] are married [with the implications that they are married to each other].

Since these amount to the same thing there's no difference, though the latter allows for jokes like "it was okay, the couple are married - not to each other I grant you, but still".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

you people are useless :(

I guess it's you that aren't getting married

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I would suggest that the word "they" is understood and omitted in that sentence as in

The couple(they)are married.

Technically probably both are correct,I would suggest,but as you are referring to more than one person and not a unit, "they" is probably more correct.

Note my usage of "are" in the sentence "both are correct.

You would say of course that the team is winning,as while there is more than one person involved, we are speaking of a unit,not a collection of people.

Thats my take on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I would suggest that the word "they" is understood and omitted in that sentence as in

The couple(they)are married.

The original is perfectly good English. What you suggest it means isn't. I suggest your reasoning is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

FB adds "reasoning" to his list of flaws:cool:

Advertisement