Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Big Games: GTA IV or MGS4: Which One Do You Prefare

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

out of the two big hyped games of the year, gta and metal gear, now that there both out, which one have you prefared so far, personally i think metal gear is better (but MGS4 is probably my favourite game ever yes i love it)

(sorry i forgot to add a poll so heres one now)

MGS4 or GTA4 15 votes

metal gear solid 4
    0%
    gta 4
    100%
    satchmoMossy MonkweemcdHolstenOtaconKillerShamrockTyrant^K.O.KikiDavei141KovikAnCapaillMorZorbaTehZeddieheadbrennaldoRedlion 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

GTAIV obviously...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

MGS4 is the only reason I want a PS3, but there's not enough exclusive games for the PS3 at the moment to deserve a purchase.

I might play through all the Metal Gear games and when I've finished the console will be cheaper or more Triple A games will be out for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mgs 4 all the way,i lost interest in the gta series long ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

gta 4
    MGS4, couldnt help but feel a bit let down by GTA, still a great game though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gta 4
    Metal Gear Solid 4 by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

metal gear 4 without a doubt. gta 4 was good but thats all it was.GOOD. were i think metal gear 4 is one of the best games i have ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

gta 4
    MGS4, what a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not a fan of the first 3 Metal Gear games but decided to give the 4th one a shot. Although it has some fantastic little moments, as a whole it's a big pile of poo. The story doesn't make a lot of sense for the most part, but does have some great atmospheric moments, but their credibility is destroyed by the toilet humour in it. And the dialogue, dear lord that's bad. And this is a bad thing for a game where 99% of which are cut-scenes (OK, that might be a slight exaggeration). I spent most of the cut scenes in disbelief that someone actually wrote it and though it was good enough.

Then there's the fact that it tries to deliberately suck you out of the game with little things like a freeze frame when a new character appears, giving their name and the actor who does the voice. How the hell is that meant to suck you into a story?

The stealth elements are pretty cool, but for the most part they're not needed. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age, but it just seemed easier and made more sense to just shoot everyone and move on.

It just seems to me that if you love the series, you'll love this. If you don't, you might get into it, but more likely, you'll be bored to tears.

As for GTA4, it's got more pick up and playability. It's no where near the genius game that it was hyped up to be, but it's a lot more accessible than MGS4.

So in summary, buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

humanji wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the first 3 Metal Gear games but decided to give the 4th one a shot. Although it has some fantastic little moments, as a whole it's a big pile of poo. The story doesn't make a lot of sense for the most part, but does have some great atmospheric moments, but their credibility is destroyed by the toilet humour in it. And the dialogue, dear lord that's bad. And this is a bad thing for a game where 99% of which are cut-scenes (OK, that might be a slight exaggeration). I spent most of the cut scenes in disbelief that someone actually wrote it and though it was good enough.

Then there's the fact that it tries to deliberately suck you out of the game with little things like a freeze frame when a new character appears, giving their name and the actor who does the voice. How the hell is that meant to suck you into a story?

The stealth elements are pretty cool, but for the most part they're not needed. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age, but it just seemed easier and made more sense to just shoot everyone and move on.

It just seems to me that if you love the series, you'll love this. If you don't, you might get into it, but more likely, you'll be bored to tears.

As for GTA4, it's got more pick up and playability. It's no where near the genius game that it was hyped up to be, but it's a lot more accessible than MGS4.

So in summary, buy something else.

I think we were seperated at birth lol..Totally agree although the Dialogue must be a translation issue from Japanese to English..or else the script writers were seriously on the booze..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maybe that's it. We should be off our tits and play. Then it might all come together... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

humanji wrote: »
    Maybe that's it. We should be off our tits and play. Then it might all come together... :D

I played 1 and 2 but thought 2 was a crap, should prob give 3 a go as I heard it is better than 2.

They still on about the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo in 4, it still sounds like the writers from Family Guy came up with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Yup those Manatees should be sacked asap ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gta 4
    MGS4 ftw. Have played them since the first one and loved them all (MGS2 is more liked than loved though). Story-wise, it is the strongest of the MGS games. It ties up all the loose ends and brings the series to an epic (appropriately) resolution.

The gameplay has been refined considerably yet still feels MGS-esque. The over-the-shoulder view and FPS-view, though ripped from other games, is implemented brilliantly. The chase scenes (
    especially the bike chase in Eastern Europe
    ) are well-executed. The less said about the
    tracking section
    the better though.

The soundtrack is, as usual, awesome as well, however, special mention should be made for the sound in general. The Middle-East section in Act 1 is excellently immersive almost purely due to the sound.

TBH I was over GTA4 as soon as I completed the story missions, which seemed to involve just adding more enemies to the gun battles as you got towards the final missions. The missions were also not quite as varied as they were in Vice City or San Andreas, mostly just run-and-gun.

MGS4 is NOT a game for everyone. I can understand most people will prefer GTA4. But, personally, I am more a fan of MGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

GTA4

I like to be able to play the bulk of a game, as opposed to just having to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I haven't played MGS4 yet, but any game with big mechs that make cow noises is an instant winner.

Close the thread now please, the question has been answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

don't own a console but I'd like to give msgs4 a go, got tired of the grand theft series long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I really enjoyed GTA4, put about 35-40 hours in and then lent it to someone. Everything about it is polished and shined. Mabye it didn't deserve quite the furore it got in the press but it is a hallmark of good game design and will be emulated for years to come.

I haven't played MGS4. If I had a ps3 I guess I'd buy it, but to be honest it doesn't really appeal to me that much. I played all of MGS2 and a bit of MGS1 and I wasn't majorly impressed. The action is fun enough but the story is head crushingly complicated and the cut scenes are just ridiculous. With the reviews it's been getting I'd still like to give it a try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

GTA4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

gta 4
    Metal Gear!

Gta 4 was a massive let down.

Saints Row 2 pisses all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

mgs4 was the biggest disapointment I have had in years.

It is rubbish compared to the prior entries in the series and as an action game it is average with above average cutscenes with a a below average plotline and a disastrous and pretty much useless stealth system.

GTA 4 on the otherh hand surprised me as most of the 3D GTA's had difficulty holding my interest for very long after I spent a few hours mucking around in the sandbox I tended to forget about them. But 4 kept me interested longer, I liked the characters and while it didnt have as much as san adnreas what it did have felt comfortable.

Not the best game out there, but when compared to MGS 4 it is the better game in pretty much every area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA IV by a country mile. I was let down by the game, the writing was poor, the humour non-existent and the serious tone was a big mistake since the story just wasn't compelling but I did have some fun with it which is a lot more than can be said about MGS4.

I absolute love the MGS series and though 3 was amazing and a step in the right direction. MGS 4 is a pile of ****e and the most disappointing game I've ever played. 40 min + badly written and awful cutscenes with tiny amounts of gameplay. The first 2 chapters were okay bit stealth just wasn't promoted by the game and it made an awful action game. After that it was plain old crap. Boss fights were dreadful. The ending was woeful and over long with the worst final fight ever in a game. **** it it's juat a bad game no matter what the fanboys say.

Saints Row 2 ftw! It's a lot more fun and stupider than GTAIV

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I was timing to see how long after me you'd show up retro...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I never played MGS4 because i dont have a ps3 so it would have to be GTA4 for me.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Both games are crap tbh. GTA IV was great for the first few days but it got very boring quickly. I don't have a clue why I bought the DLC for the GTA haven't even played it once.

MGS4 was disgraceful. It focused way too much on the action aspect of the game. I haven't bothered completing the game, it got very tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

did not like gta4 or mgs 4 because gta 4 was about TV ads and mgs was one big long move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Whoa zombie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hitman76

Maybe ill buy mgs 4 and see?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't waste your money.

Advertisement