Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict House

Options
  • 20-06-2008 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal is about the derelict house on the road from Bray to Greystones. It appears as if they used to keep horses up thereand there is a barn at the back. Looks like something straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GreyTog

House has been derelict for years following the death of the owner. The family have not done anything with it as yet as the death duties are gonna be huge!

Much the same as a number of farms in Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

GreyTog wrote: »
    House has been derelict for years following the death of the owner. The family have not done anything with it as yet as the death duties are gonna be huge!

Much the same as a number of farms in Greystones.

Any idea where these are, or any other derelict sites????? I really enjoy going to them and taking photos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've noticed one along the road between Kenmare Heights and Applewood. It can't be missed. A couple of broken windows, long grass and some boarded up areas. It wasn't long ago that the house was in full maintenance, and I must say, looking lovely.

Notorious wrote: »
    I've noticed one along the road between Kenmare Heights and Applewood. It can't be missed. A couple of broken windows, long grass and some boarded up areas. It wasn't long ago that the house was in full maintenance, and I must say, looking lovely.

Very interesting, must keep an eye out for it:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

Is it the one at the top of windgates on the left as you're heading to Bray?
    Everytime I go past it on the bus I picture it as an amazing venue for a Youth Support Facility where you could take in young people who need intensive support.......yes bla bla bla...idealistic liberal.....
    Maybe a boot camp with manual labour and a drill sargeant!:eek:

• Advertisement

Suder wrote: »
    Is it the one at the top of windgates on the left as you're heading to Bray?
    Everytime I go past it on the bus I picture it as an amazing venue for a Youth Support Facility where you could take in young people who need intensive support.......yes bla bla bla...idealistic liberal.....
    Maybe a boot camp with manual labour and a drill sargeant!:eek:

No that's a different one. I was recently there taking pictures with my friend. It really is an interesting place. Bit spooky if your going alone, lots of dark corners. If your walking up there bring a few people..

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Yes, they had horses there.... I knew the family, had horses myself, and I lived up the road from them so they were my neighbours. Shame to see the house abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If I won the Lotto i'd look into buying that house/site - would be a lovely place to live, stunning views...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Johnnyghia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Johnnyghia wrote: »

You need to be registered to view that forum!

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »

Then register !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

owlwink wrote: »
    Then register !

Why should I its very simple to upload to photobucket or equivalent?

Thank you for your extremely helpful post btw.

Post count?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Why should I its very simple to upload to photobucket or equivalent?

Thank you for your extremely helpful post btw.

Post count?? :rolleyes:
    Problems with a post? Then use the Report Post button rather than derail a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Well how come I didn't need to register to see them? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well how come I didn't need to register to see them? :p
    How come you feel the need to perpetuate the off-topic posting on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

In fairness, you needed to register beforehand but you don't need to now?

Anyway, great photos! I live in the cottages across the road from it but have always been wary of going up there on my own to take pics, I may be a photographer but I'm a jellie legged one. Great to see what it looks like, one day I'll get the guts to go there myself.

The only thing I know about it is that it went up for sale about 8 years ago, this I know as I did the brochure for it, but it didn't go through then.
    A man was doing the measuring jobby with equipment over a year ago (sorry, very technical term, I haven't a clue what it's called) the other half was out on the road & asked him what he was doing & he told him he was measuring up for the new owners. Nothing seems to be done since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Always admired that house, interesting to see the temporary gate, wonder if somebody lifted the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Notorious wrote: »
    Yeah, its just around the corner from mine. I've always said that if a zombie outbreak were to take place, it would start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

What about the house opposite Jackie Skelly at the roundabout? Big old gaff that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thats the old farmhouse for Charlesland.

some cool stuff on the BarelyThereIreland site - a lot of Wicklow locations too - not that I'm advocating trespass but it is interesting to see these once familiar buildings in their current states:

La Touche Hotel:
    http://www.barelythereireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52

Cullenmore Hotel:
    http://www.barelythereireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=116

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KYE409

And the one at the very top of the road, at the eden gate roundabout. There's bars on all the windows :confused:

The trespass is easily avoided if you have a camera around your neck. Just play the old it's for an art project on derelict buildings and everything always ends up ok. :-)

Recently explored Loftus Hall in Wexford.Now there is a weird place for you. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

owlwink mate.

did you get into loftus???

iv been meaning to head down from wicklow to explore.. but i thought it was all blocked off???

cotton man.. you live in the cottages you say .. did you know a finnon who may of lived there??? ..donno if he still does
    his dad owned a blue pick up truck

the house your talking about is windgates villa.. very very nice explore .. wonderfull house too .spooky in parts

the house next to jackie skelly is called topton house and the owner actually checks up on the house every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

owlwink wrote: »
    No that's a different one. I was recently there taking pictures with my friend. It really is an interesting place. Bit spooky if your going alone, lots of dark corners. If your walking up there bring a few people..

No,thats the one you are talking about.

It is at the top of windgates no? on the left back to Bray.....
    im pretty sure thats it.

owlwink mate.

did you get into loftus???

iv been meaning to head down from wicklow to explore.. but i thought it was all blocked off???

cotton man.. you live in the cottages you say .. did you know a finnon who may of lived there??? ..donno if he still does
    his dad owned a blue pick up truck

the house your talking about is windgates villa.. very very nice explore .. wonderfull house too .spooky in parts

the house next to jackie skelly is called topton house and the owner actually checks up on the house every so often

I did finally get in to Loftus. Very weird place. There is normally always a way into a derelict house because generallythe owner only boards it up to look in accessible. Upon closer inspection there is normally a way in around the back somewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

Here are some photos of the house on here:

http://urbanexploration.ie/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26

Again, as someone above mentioned you may need to register! but its worth it!

Advertisement