Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change of job title

Options
  • 20-06-2008 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi fellows, I got a few questions please:

Can my company change my job title even if I still do the same job?

What does and doesnt qualify as a job title?

The law says I have a right to get terms& conds in writing that include Job Title OR Job description: I have a job title but it is too vague, don't I have a legal right to ask them to review the job title?

Can I ask them to supply a new job description?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    Hi fellows, I got a few questions please:

Can my company change my job title even if I still do the same job?

What does and doesnt qualify as a job title?

The law says I have a right to get terms& conds in writing that include Job Title OR Job description: I have a job title but it is too vague, don't I have a legal right to ask them to review the job title?

What is your job title?

They can fairly much change your title without a great deal of problems... If you are not doing any different tasks no new contract needed. It would just be case of sending out an email or notifying staff of your title change.

Are you wanting to apply for other jobs and think your title is too general?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can certainly ask - what is your current job title and what do you think it should be?

Is your company very structured? In my last two companies the titles and grades were very defined, so we couldn't invent a new title.

Incidentally, a vague job title can be a good thing as it can give you a lot more flexibility on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

my current job title is Web Developer. very standard and it does reflects what i do

a company bought us.

they want to change the job title to development associate............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

my current job title is Web Developer. very standard and it does reflects what i do

a company bought us.

they want to change the job title to development associate............

Development Consultant might be more fitting.

cronos wrote: »
    Development Consultant might be more fitting.

Not unless he is now consulting other people on development issues, which it doesn't sound like.

"Development associate" is a new one on me, but as I said, a vague job title can be a good thing for your CV - is the job title your only issue?

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    Not unless he is now consulting other people on development issues, which it doesn't sound like.

"Development associate" is a new one on me, but as I said, a vague job title can be a good thing for your CV - is the job title your only issue?

yes the job title is the only issue. everything else remains the same. For now.

noone else has the same job title in the company.

yes the job title is the only issue. everything else remains the same. For now.

noone else has the same job title in the company.

I am guessing that the new company is trying to best match you with their existing job titles? Are there any other job titles that they use that you would prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't like the "associate" part of the title. I don't know why, but it makes me think "junior".

Would they be willing to compromise at "Developer"?

eoin_s wrote: »
    I am guessing that the new company is trying to best match you with their existing job titles? Are there any other job titles that they use that you would prefer?

I did't see any other development associates in their company, it looks like it was created recently. (though they have job titles that contain the words development associate and it is preceded by a word, none of them have anything to do with web dev.)

They have web developers. This is what I wanted to keep.

dublindude wrote: »
    I don't like the "associate" part of the title. I don't know why, but it makes me think "junior".

Would they be willing to compromise at "Developer"?

you're right dublindude, "associate" sounds like junior. The whole thing is like a demotion really.

They don't seem to want to negociate or compromise.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call it a demotion, purely because I have never ever heard a job title like it.

Does the company have job descriptions for their web developer roles you can get your hands on?

Advertisement