Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to take photos this weekend?

• 20-06-2008 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Thinking of heading away for a day this weekend.. somewhere in the midlands preferably to take a few shots.

Anyone got any suggestions? - something different!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What are you into?

There is Birr Castle with their extensive gardens and giant telescope. You could take a trip from there to Clonmacnois on the Shannon. From there you could head to Athlone with the Shannon/Lough Ree/Moydrum Forest (if you are a U2 fan, Moydrum Castle appeared on the cover on one of their albums), castle, churches, usual town stuff etc.

There is Belvedere House and Gardens in Mullingar. Mullingar is situated between two lakes, Lough Owel and Lough Ennel.

There is Charleville Castle in Tullamore - plenty of people on here have been there at a couple of Boards meets.

Can't think of much over in Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

whyulittle wrote: »
    What are you into?

There is Birr Castle with their extensive gardens and giant telescope. You could take a trip from there to Clonmacnois on the Shannon. From there you could head to Athlone with the Shannon/Lough Ree/Moydrum Forest (if you are a U2 fan, Moydrum Castle appeared on the cover on one of their albums), castle, churches, usual town stuff etc.

There is Belvedere House and Gardens in Mullingar. Mullingar is situated between two lakes, Lough Owel and Lough Ennel.

There is Charleville Castle in Tullamore - plenty of people on here have been there at a couple of Boards meets.

Can't think of much over in Longford.

Hmm, I like to try shooting abit of everything.

I actually work in Mullingar and I'll be in Athlone over the weekend - I think I'll check out a few of the places you mentioned above. I never really thought about it to be honest! - These are just places I pass on a regular basis!

Forgot to mention, there is also a trip up the Shannon on the Viking boat, to the supposed centre of Ireland - Hodson's Pillar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not to be a pooper but it will be wet on Saturday just about everywhere I think, Sunday looks rather better.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Not quiet midlands.. but powerboat racing in Yoghal all weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mount Usher Gardens in Wicklow are great.

Maybe not in the wet though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭AlanMooneyPhoto

You could take a walk in the slieve bloom mountains, always beautiful, no matter what the weather. Especially down Glenbarrow way, which has a waterfall which is worth a visit and isnt too far from Kinnity which has the beautiful Kinnity castle.

Forgot to mention, there is also a trip up the Shannon on the Viking boat, to the supposed centre of Ireland - Hodson's Pillar.

Sounds good!
    mike65 wrote: »
    Not to be a pooper but it will be wet on Saturday just about everywhere I think, Sunday looks rather better.

Mike.

I know what you mean hopefully its not!
    bp_me wrote: »
    Not quiet midlands.. but powerboat racing in Yoghal all weekend...

Cool! - I wanna check that out but don't know if I'll get too. My Photography skills leave alot to be desired anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

:D:D:D:D:D:D

More details on the Youghal event here if you're interested iRock. It's not only Thundercat Boat racing as there's a big festival based around it with a lot of slow moving subjects also !!!!:D:D

henna wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

More details on the Youghal event here if you're interested iRock. It's not only Thundercat Boat racing as there's a big festival based around it with a lot of slow moving subjects also !!!!:D:D

I'm tempted now!

..... with my Kit D40 Lens :(

• Advertisement

Did you manage to get anywhere in the end iRock?

Did you manage to get anywhere in the end iRock?

:( not too far at all.

I'm still relatively new to it. I hate going to some places... where you get people annoying you! (lol... that sounds terrible).

Anyway, I was at the GF's house last night and decided to take a drive... almost forgot to come back!

Just went out to Glasson, Athlone (Hudson Bay) and got a few shots.

I hope to actually get somewhere next weekend!

Ah yeah, Glasson. Pull into the tourist spot on the hill between Ballykeeran and Glasson for a sunset over Lough Ree shot.

Athlone Agri Show is on next Sunday. Wouldn't normally be my thing but I'm going to head along hoping they have some birds of prey displays.

Ah yeah, Glasson. Pull into the tourist spot on the hill between Ballykeeran and Glasson for a sunset over Lough Ree shot.

Athlone Agri Show is on next Sunday. Wouldn't normally be my thing but I'm going to head along hoping they have some birds of prey displays.

Wouldn't usually be my thing either but might go that far myself as I'm just up the road. Where exactly is it on?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's at the Equestrian Centre out the Moydrum/Mount Temple Road. I'm sure if you just head out that road you'll find it.

There is a bit in the paper about it today. Can't see any mention of birds of prey, but the Army will be putting on a small arms display. Seems to be a big equine section, with 1,000 entries supposedly making it he biggest horse show outside of the RDS. They are expecting a crowd of around 10,000.

It's €10 in with free car parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's at the Equestrian Centre out the Moydrum/Mount Temple Road. I'm sure if you just head out that road you'll find it.

There is a bit in the paper about it today. Can't see any mention of birds of prey, but the Army will be putting on a small arms display. Seems to be a big equine section, with 1,000 entries supposedly making it he biggest horse show outside of the RDS. They are expecting a crowd of around 10,000.

It's €10 in with free car parking.

Cool I think I'll have to check that out.I'm not far from there. Should be interesting at least.
    ricky91t wrote: »

Looks pretty cool... Limerick though ... bit of trek for me... but who knows I may end up checking it out.

I'm not one to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Ferhill Garden, just above Lamb's Cross on the way to Stepaside, is full of good vistas and photo oportunities for botanists and dendrologists.

2613263016_91be320258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have decided to post the mandatory Flickr link in a separate post, as the confused way the links fuse into a widget is not satisfactory.http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2613263016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

iRock wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions? - something different!

The attic in your house - difficult lighting and good angles for beams.

The underside of a car - ask a mechanic if you can use his ramp

If you have a waterproof cover - go swimming and take pix of the sea.

Kilmacanogue - it's a strange place I've always thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

iRock wrote: »
    Cool I think I'll have to check that out.I'm not far from there. Should be interesting at least.

Looks pretty cool... Limerick though ... bit of trek for me... but who knows I may end up checking it out.

I'm not one to plan.
    Great atmosphere there!

I'v got a press pass so they'll be pics for c&c anyway:)

Advertisement