Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here cycling for Bray Wheeleers Last Night in Bray

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

If so its very possible you passed me on the main Bray Motor way. I was the frustrated guy in the hard shoulder with a puncture !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    If so its very possible you passed me on the main Bray Motor way. I was the frustrated guy in the hard shoulder with a puncture !!

That's a bit selfish not to stop to see if you were ok ... I know I always stop and ask if people are ok, even if they look like they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

stop and ask if people are ok...

Last time I did this it turned out to by my ex-girlfriend! Oh how we laughed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

beans wrote: »
    Last time I did this it turned out to by my ex-girlfriend! Oh how we laughed :D
    Was she OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

not one person out of that club even acknowledged me on the side of the road, not a very friendly bunch if ya ask me. oh i completed my 40 km trip with realative ease although i will say i need to get cycling shorts, i feel a bit violated today ha ha

hurry up with the boards gear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Noticed this myself. I make a point of stopping or at last shouting out if someone is ok. Recently I was cycling into town, tyre went pop, pulled in to have a look. Numerous cyclists went by without any acknowledgement whatsoever.

Same thing the previous few nights, chain is a bit dodgy on singlespeed lately and popped off once or twice. Pull in, people go by, not a word. I made a point of catching up with them and zooming by.

I thought there was a bit more camaraderie amongst us cyclists than that.

• Advertisement

not one person out of that club even acknowledged me on the side of the road, not a very friendly bunch if ya ask me. oh i completed my 40 km trip with realative ease although i will say i need to get cycling shorts, i feel a bit violated today ha ha

hurry up with the boards gear

hahah if u wait fir the boads gear to arrive ... you'll probably start growing boobs ... get yourself shorts now for god's sake! Your manhood depends on it.

Verb wrote: »
    I thought there was a bit more camaraderie amongst us cyclists than that.

I noticed that cyclists aknowledge me much more when I wear my club gear ... you get more nods and more hellos and more 'howsitgoin's'

yeah first thing i noticed. dont get me wrong im not looking for a mexican wave or a hug but even a nod would be nice.

just thought as you say there would be more camaraderie than that.

yeah my twins were crying all the way home ha ha
    i will get shorts over the weekend, got my shoes and my cleats today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

So, what's the protocol then?
    I always assume that everyone else is better at fixing their bike than I am, so I'd be more of a hindrance to them if I stopped to help.

• Advertisement

I assume most people would say yes i am ok thanks and carry on. its the kind gesture that counts and maybe there will be a time when you are genuinely stranded. i know if i was injured last night i would have felt very uncomfortable stopping one of those guys. surely it shouldnt be that way.

i dont know maybe it was a race or something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I shall restore all faith....

Cycling through templeogue on Monday, heard a pop. A guy had just zoomed by me on one of those fancy bikes and hit something. He didnt have any repair stuff with him but I gave him the use of mine.

I felt good after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I passed a guy outside the house there the other day, who looked like he was checking/fixing his bike.

I stopped and asked him did he need a pump.

He said he didn't but thanked me and I was very happy to be thanked for offering!

As the fella says "its nice to be nice"!

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

If someone's working away on their wheel, I'll generally check to make sure they don't need a pump/patch/whatever. Once, I stopped to check a guy who had punctured in the Phoenix Park, and got snapped at - but that's the only time it's been met with negativity.

My ex was grand, we had to walk the bike home though - no quick-releases for her, no spanners on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I would tend to just shout out "need anything" to ensure they're ok

Ha, yes, I stopped for someone and fixed his puncture on my way home during the winter (he didn't have a repair kit, never mind a pump.) Christ I was frozen by the end of it.

BUACHAILL- those shorts that Caroline_ie linked to are very comfortable, I have two pairs myself. Think I got them at £24.99. Only thing I have noticed is that on both pairs the seam came away a bit on I think the right. Doesn't affect performance, and I will sew it up when I get a chance. Boards orders are closing today and the design work is all done so I don't expect they will take too long though. When you have your boards kit you are guaranteed attention from other cyclists.

beans wrote: »
    My ex was grand, we had to walk the bike home though - no quick-releases for her, no spanners on me :)
    Ha ok, I was wondering whether it was something like that or you yelling "that's karma, BITCH" as you cycled off :D

yeah looking forward to wearing the boards colours alright, all i need now is a decent bike

blorg wrote: »

BUACHAILL- those shorts that Caroline_ie linked to are very comfortable, I have two pairs myself. .
    I got a pair too, S size but a bit too big for me around the shoulders... I have to tie the shoulder straps (whatever you call these things) Still quite confortable yeah. Can't wait for my summer trip home to Decathlon tho!

anything has to be better than my big arse, although i know i will appreciate my shorts when i eventually get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wogger

last nite was the first race of our summer league, it was also the club annual time trial , thats why a cyclist came by every minute or so ,and that is also whay every body was not stoping to see if you needed a hand or a tube. on any other day any one from the club would have offered to help.

well to be fair i did say maybe it was a race, nice to see that was the reason, thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

See this from Bicycling magazine for 'things every cyclist should know';

"If you see a cyclist on the side of the road, slow down and call out, "Do you need anything?" This offers help without appearing overly zealous. Most will respond, "No, thanks," and you'll pedal on your way without interruption. If the answer is "Yes," or silence and a confused look, then stop and share your know-how, some air, your spare tube, or whatever is needed.

Always carry everything you need to fix a flat tire, even if you don't know how to do it yourself. Asking for help with the fix reveals you as a beginner eager to learn, but needing to poach precious supplies from another rider's seat bag reveals you as inconsiderate and irresponsible. That said, if someone needs your spare tube, offer it, and flatly refuse if any money is offered in exchange. What goes around comes around."

Obviously this wouldn't apply in a race situation. I always have the impression that the camraderie is there, once you get past peoples natural wariness of strangers in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

well to be fair i did say maybe it was a race, nice to see that was the reason, thanks for the explanation.

Yes it was our Club Championship 36K Time Trial, A number of our riders also got flats that night but in the middle of a race there would be no one stopping to help. Most of the guys would not carry a spare tube or pump during the time trial anyway.

Rest assured normally we would have no problem stopping to help.

well its nice to hear that and i appreciate the explanation. to be honest I had mentioned it earlier it looked like it was a race and i certainly held cyclists in higher regard for the sort of thing.

Advertisement