Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News on gears of war movie

• 20-06-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Wiseman to direct Gears Of War movie
    'Underworld' and 'Live Free Die Hard' director Len Wiseman is being lined up to direct the new 'Gears Of War' film.
    Released in November, 'Gears Of War' has been one of the most successful games on Microsoft's X-Box 360 platform, shifting three million units in ten weeks and winning numerous awards.
    Set on the fictional planet Sera, it places players in a group of elite soldiers known as the Delta Squad and engages them in a massive battle with the alien Locust Horde.
    Advertisement
    Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Reuters have reported that Wiseman, who is married to the English actress Kate Beckinsale, will develop the story for the film with Chris Morgan, writer of upcoming Universal features''Wanted' and 'The Fast and the Furious 4'.
    Game lead designer Cliff Bleszinski will executive produce the film and consult on its development for Epic.
    Several game-to-film crossover attempts have already failed or struggled - including 'Halo' and 'Doom' - but Bleszinski says taking gamers and gaming seriously is the key to success.
    He told Reuters: "Hollywood needs to take the source material seriously, win over the avid gamers and make it work for an audience that is young and old, male and female.
    "Disney made a great movie out of a theme park ride ('Pirates Of The Caribbean'), and somebody is sooner or later going to make a great one out of a video game. Having someone like Len really helps the odds. I think we're going to create something special here."

the above is an e -mail i got i was just wondering has anybody else heard anything about this. it will be really good if done right. also how do i quote somthing that i have copied and pasted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

the key seems to be in the cast. I dont think pirates of the carribean would have been the success it was without Johnny Depp. Doom stank because it was just "the rock" a guy with an acting ability akin to his wrestling name.
    Hitman was the same except it had absolutely no storyline either.
    DOA, even Holly Valance couldnt save it
    I'm trying to think of one that actually worked, Resident Evil 1 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i think you would be a long time waiting for a game to film conversion that would be really any good to he honest. i wasn't even that big a fan the resi 1 movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

If this game has any chance of success they have to put the cast of
    Saved by the Bell as actors.

Marcus = Mr Belding
    Dom = Slater
    Baird = Zach
    Cole = Hmmmm.....Emile Heskey?

Various Locusts = Screech (Obviously)

I think with that cast it will be a huge success. Just my two cents tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Slig wrote: »
    . Doom stank because it was just "the rock" a guy with an acting ability akin to his wrestling name.

Doom is an absolute classic and the Rock is a decent enough actor with more star power than any video game film ever made.

In fairness to Hollywood, these games don't all make great films because the ideas don't transend. In games, it's fine to have one person kill 2,000 or so bad guys without a scratch because you feel as if it is you who is making the difference and you can still die in the game, even though it has no long term effect. When you bring that into a film it just seems ridiculous

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    If this game has any chance of success they have to put the cast of
    Saved by the Bell as actors.

Marcus = Mr Belding
    Dom = Slater
    Baird = Zach
    Cole = Hmmmm.....Emile Heskey?

Various Locusts = Screech (Obviously)

I think with that cast it will be a huge success. Just my two cents tho.

a pinch of salt with that comment maybe:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Doom is an absolute classic and the Rock is a decent enough actor with more star power than any video game film ever made.

In fairness to Hollywood, these games don't all make great films because the ideas don't transend. In games, it's fine to have one person kill 2,000 or so bad guys without a scratch because you feel as if it is you who is making the difference and you can still die in the game, even though it has no long term effect. When you bring that into a film it just seems ridiculous

I suppose you have to look at the time element aswell, a game has about 10 - 20 hours of character development, a filem can get maybe 2 hours, enough to tell the story of how they began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

the key seems to be in the cast. I dont think pirates of the carribean would have been the success it was without Johnny Depp. Doom stank because it was just "the rock" a guy with an acting ability akin to his wrestling name.
    Hitman was the same except it had absolutely no storyline either.
    DOA, even Holly Valance couldnt save it
    I'm trying to think of one that actually worked, Resident Evil 1 maybe?

Silent hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I thought Silent Hill was excellent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

there was a webpage that had the shortend version of the script. it sounds good but its meant to be filmed like 300, in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

brennaldo wrote: »
    there was a webpage that had the shortend version of the script. it sounds good but its meant to be filmed like 300, in that way
    is that not a good thing though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I suppose you have to look at the time element aswell, a game has about 10 - 20 hours of character development, a filem can get maybe 2 hours, enough to tell the story of how they began.

That's not really a problem. If it were so, books and comics would be in big trouble as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

solace wrote: »
    I thought Silent Hill was excellent...
    +1

Sounds like a good idea actually

i actually think it would suit the gears movie to be shot like 300 was. it just fits perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Long as it isn't a PG-13 ****.

Advertisement