Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will there be lots of Demos Registered next week?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I take it that car dealers who are sitting on high poluting cars that will be hammered by the new tax regime, will register them and market them as EX DEMO's?

Cars like the Mitsi Evos, foresters, Porche Cayennes, Mercs, Big Bm's, the like.....

True or False? If true, there will be bargains to be had on a straight cash purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

They have little or no choice.
    I past and pulled up to look into a main VW/Audi/Mitsu premises yesterday eveing and the place was choka with stock......

Millions upon million of €'s worth of metal.......and nothings moving.
    Its a buyers market and i think it'll continue for a long time yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yep, we've a few to register next week to stop them from going up in price/road tax. We'd be registering cars anyway as we need to make sure we've always got a selection of demos, but the new VRT will say whether we'll register the cars before or after 01/07.

Dealers can't register demos willy-nilly though, it's not like I can go and register 4 Q7s today to stop them going up in price, there's no business case for having 4 demo Q7s.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Dealers can't register demos willy-nilly though, it's not like I can go and register 4 Q7s today to stop them going up in price, there's no business case for having 4 demo Q7s.
    I would have thought that with certain cars there will be no business case for having them unregistered?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I think a lot of people don't quite understand this new taxing system properly.
    ALL cars registered in 08 will be on the new tax system next year.
    Its just cars registered after the date is set will ahve to pay for the rest of the year now.
    so any car bought before the new tax when there tax is up they have have to pay the new taxing system. so anyone thinking they're buying a car in the frist six months is only saving money until they have to renew there car again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Dodge/Nitro/NEW-ONE/819167/

Compare the price stuck to the windw of the car and what you have to pay for it today...

Lenny wrote: »
    ALL cars registered in 08 will be on the new tax system next year.
    Its just cars registered after the date is set will ahve to pay for the rest of the year now.
    so any car bought before the new tax when there tax is up they have have to pay the new taxing system. so anyone thinking they're buying a car in the frist six months is only saving money until they have to renew there car again!
    As I understand it, all cars registered before the 1st July will have the option of staying on the old tax system. There's also the matter of VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

inforfun wrote: »

Compare the price stuck to the windw of the car and what you have to pay for it today...

Ouch....thats gotta hurt!

Still wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its a buyers market and i think it'll continue for a long time yet.

Funny, I rang a guy yesterday about a car - he told me my trade in was worth too much against it (about 13k plus mine) and he'd rather sell it cash or take something worth alot less as trade.

They may be in touble but some are still only interested in lots of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

RobAMerc wrote: »
    They may be in touble but some are still only interested in lots of cash.

Strange for sales oriented business to be interested in such a thing :rolleyes:. I dont know what you drive, but sounds like the guy figured whatever it is that it isnt going to sell and made the decision not to take your pain, and hold out for something more viable - cant really blame him can you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Agreed. I rang a dealer today about a 2007 1.8d new shape mondeo lx.

He said he just sold it for 25k on a straigh cash deal.

MAD! what is wrong with people? You can go to the uk - buy one of these 2007's for 10k sterling and drive it home pay the VRT and all after july 1st and have it all done and dusted and in your driveway for around 18.5k still with a manufactuers warranty on it.
    People are just Stupid or mad or both!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Would seem including your good self...

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

"New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of engine size. If it is beneficial for these cars to switch to the CO2 based motor tax system, this will happen on the first renewal of motor tax after 1 July 2008. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the CO2 based system will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Stealdo wrote: »
    Would seem including your good self...

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

"New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of engine size. If it is beneficial for these cars to switch to the CO2 based motor tax system, this will happen on the first renewal of motor tax after 1 July 2008. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the CO2 based system will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size."

Eh, that's pretty much what Lenny said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

No you'll find if you read lenny's statement he said ALL cars will change to new tax system this not being the case. Only cars that would cost less to tax next year will move to the new tax system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

milltown wrote: »

No he seems to think that if you register a new big polluter today and pay tax at 1500 pa when that expires you will move into the 2000 tax bracket on renewal, which is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    I would have thought that with certain cars there will be no business case for having them unregistered?

It's true, there are some cars that will be viewed unfavourably after the first of July, but if you went and reg'd all the Q7s, A4 Cabrios, S5s etc. etc. in the next week then you would be facing huge invoices and massively negative cash flow for the month of June and you'd be several months trading out of it.

There's a business case for registering cars pre-July if you intend to keep them, or if you think they'll be "unsellable" post-July and you want to get some use out of them, but you've got to do it with a light touch - you can't register everything that's going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

milltown wrote: »

^^What the previous two said

Wasn't trying to be snotty there - just seems that so many people are unsure - or have been confused/mislead by dealers. My mother in law recently bought a diesel Golf that would have dropped by about 3k in July. I thought she was mad. Having seen the Merc thread and the various comments on trade ins it probably would have made little difference. The dealer told her at the time that it might come down by 2k but she'd be getting 2k less (at least) for her trade in. While I thought this was nuts, it's looking like it wasn't that bad afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Also, you could buy a car now, tax it for three months, then tax it under the new system. No need to wait til 2009, Lenny.

Not your ornery onager

Although the kind of car that's cheaper to tax under the new system will often be cheaper to buy under the new system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

inforfun wrote: »

27.5k is for a commercial
    44k is for a pasenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anan1 wrote: »
    Although the kind of car that's cheaper to tax under the new system will often be cheaper to buy under the new system too.
    No help to people who bought early this year though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Stealdo wrote: »
    ^^What the previous two said

Wasn't trying to be snotty there - just seems that so many people are unsure - or have been confused/mislead by dealers. My mother in law recently bought a diesel Golf that would have dropped by about 3k in July. I thought she was mad. Having seen the Merc thread and the various comments on trade ins it probably would have made little difference. The dealer told her at the time that it might come down by 2k but she'd be getting 2k less (at least) for her trade in. While I thought this was nuts, it's looking like it wasn't that bad afterall.

I stand corrected. This is why speed reading is dangerous. Slow down people!

Advertisement