Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Beam Cola

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,278 ✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with this? There's ads on the back of buses for it in conjunction with OBriens offies. Anyone seen it around? Is it just Jim Beam pre-mixed with cheap cola in a can???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's what I was assuming. What else would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,278 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's what I was assuming. What else would it be?

Unfortunately the bus I was on didn't do a very good job of following the 46A that had the ad on the back of it so I couldn't get a good read of it!
    And I can't access "Alcohol and Tobacco" sites in work to check Jim Beam's site itself. I think the ad said it was 3e a can which seems a bit steep for an offie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

theyre only 4% aswell.

they have em in pubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I think these are the same as the pre-mixes they have in Australia, and they're really popular over there. It's mostly done with various whiskeys and cola's. The Jack Daniels and coke isn't too bad actually. A lot of people entertain at home there (bbq's and stuff) so yu buy a six-pack of premixes instead of lugging around a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of coke. iirc they're cheaper than the separates option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,278 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

judas101 wrote: »
    theyre only 4% aswell.
    they have em in pubs too.

Have you seen 'em in any pubs around Dublin yet? Might work out cheaper than paying for the measure + a mixer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Yeah but it's absolute muck, no self respecting drinker would touch that premixed ****e, the Aussies also sell Bundaberg rum and coke premixed on draught it'd rot chrome off a hitch.

The Aussie male reaction, "yeah but it's a great legopener mate":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

The Aussie male reaction, "yeah but it's a great legopener mate":rolleyes:

the aussies actually launched a sparkling wine called rene pogel which was very successful for a while until people copped that it was leg opener spelt backwards!!

see here

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/drink/story/0,,1697441,00.html

A much funnier seduction wine was an Aussie sparkler called René Pogel. Produced by Yalumba in the 1980s, the wine did rather well for a while. Most people assumed that the eponymous René was a French émigré living somewhere in South Australia and dreaming of home. It was only when people realised that the brand name was Leg Opener spelled backwards that René Pogel had to be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

4% would make it about 1 part whiskey to 9 parts cola. It must be ridiculously weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What's the deal with this? There's ads on the back of buses for it in conjunction with OBriens offies. Anyone seen it around? Is it just Jim Beam pre-mixed with cheap cola in a can???
    g'em wrote: »
    I think these are the same as the pre-mixes they have in Australia, and they're really popular over there.
    the Aussies also sell Bundaberg rum and coke premixed on draught it'd rot chrome off a hitch.

Bleedin' disgusting stuff.

That Rene Pogel story is funny though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 pokergroupie

What is the norm compared to the 4% jim beam and cola are offering... ?

It might be cheaper than mixed drinks in the bars but wouldnt bother with them for home consumption....sure isnt the joy of house parties, that you can choose your own 'strength'? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well assuming, you use 2 35ml shots of whiskey to every 250ml bottle of coke.

That's 70ml x 40% = 28ml of alcohol.

Total volume of drink is 320ml, so it's about 8.75% ABV, or just over twice the amount of the bottled version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

It's horrible, tastes like Red Bull Cola, which I hate. Feck all alcohol in it too, let alone Jim Beam.
    But I did buy a few cans once in a night club/pub where there were hot girls selling them for 3 euro a can... damn hot girls. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Can't beat Jim Beam with ice to be honest -only spoils it by adding cola !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The price of it is ridiculous tbh. It's €2.99 for a 330ml can in an offie.

If any drink's gonna cost that much, it'd want to be not mass produced swill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

It does seem a tad expensive alright. If it takes off (which I hope it does) the price will go down. Happy days indeed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I had this in Germany a couple of months ago, 'cept it was 10%. And no it didn't taste too great, but that may have been down to me drinking it in the airport at about 5 in the morning on the way home

Advertisement