Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Rip-offs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ahh but it was your fault as you should have known the offer had expired. Only numpties get caught out with this shoddy practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Thanks for calling me a numpty!

There was no date on the special offer sign just special offer product and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Whooosh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

LolaDub wrote: »
    Dunnes in kilnamanagh (sp?) is the worst i've ever come across for incorrect special offers. Most of the time when i complain i've been over charged i find them saying the offer expired and the sign wasn't taken down but they still don't take it down. Nearly every time i've been there somethings been wrong so i only go there as a last resort. They've moved their customer service desk upstairs now and there is hardly anyone manning it ever!

Dunnes in Kilnamanagh doesn't have an upstairs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

LolaDub wrote: »
    Dunnes in kilnamanagh...They've moved their customer service desk upstairs...
    Achilles wrote: »
    Dunnes in Kilnamanagh doesn't have an upstairs...

methinks LolaDub has found Narnia!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Woo hoooooooooooooooooooo who is up for the trip to Narnia so!!!

They recently have renovated and there is an upstairs now just for the customer service desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tesco Clare Hall - Lynx Shower Gel €3.89

Lynx Shower Gel in Sainsburys Newry, £1.82 (€2.34)

I would LOVE to hear the explanation for that one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sizzler wrote: »

Two different retailers in different countries with two different markets. You only have to read any of the recent threads in this forum to be aware of the sterling/euro disparity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

so that their 2 for €5 offer seems a lot better than it actually is???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As Dudara said, different countries, different companies etc. If you hop on a plane to the US you might save another bit.

EDIT, sorry forgot the obligatory :rolleyes:

Seriously, why do people think that just because we happen to share a land border with the UK that everything should be the same (for things that suit us of course)

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Two different retailers in different countries with two different markets. You only have to read any of the recent threads in this forum to be aware of the sterling/euro disparity.

LOB tbh. Both companies are UK owned and receive consignments from the same supplier and administer a price punters will pay.

If you read up on it there are no such gaping price disparitys between Germany/Holland, France/Spain eg for FMCG.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In addition, I wonder what Dunnes and SuperValu charge for the same stuff. Dunnes, probably the same as Tesco in Ireland, SuperValu, probably more. That's what usually seems to happen.

A lot of people don't seem to get it that price levels in Ireland were set by the likes of Dunnes and Musgrave/SuperValu/Centra, long before the foreign competition moved in. The foreigners jumped on the band-wagon. If people here weren't already being robbed blind, there wouldn't have been such a large carrot drawing the competition into the country.

If it were not for the competition, we would still be being robbed blind - and some! Nip down to your local SuperValu and compare their prices with the others in the South, then check out the prices in the North.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Seriously, why do people think that just because we happen to share a land border with the UK that everything should be the same (for things that suit us of course)

As I said, two different markets with different dynamics and driving factors. It's too easy that think that what is in the North should also be in the Republic.

BTW, I'm not condoning this price difference, I'm just asking people to stop assuming that a price in the North should be directly applicable in the Republic.
    Sizzler wrote:
    Both companies are UK owned
    Tesco Ireland is a separate company. While it has a UK parent company and undoubtedly benefits from its purchasing power and discount agreements, it is still separate and operates according to Irish rules.

From retailers point of view, wages / rent etc are diferent in ireland and this would normally represent 35% of your turnover.

Cost of the product (food) represents approx. 60 - 65% of the price paid. - It is on this 60% figure that the saving are available as the wages / rent etc cannot change.

The biggest problem is the suppliers themselves who have a Euro pricing and charge all irish retailers in euro and have refused to bring it down.

An exact example is a product I'm buying for a gourmet food store in carlow (opening end of July:D). Supplier is based in NI

UK retail 2.79 stg, eur retail 4.59 eur
    UK Cost 1.95 stg, Eur cost 3.38 eur

I pointed this out to the supplier and they blamed the usual delivery expenses. - I'm charged €50 delivery for a pallet from Northern Ireland.

So I said, if I collected the goods, can I pay UK prices? - They had to say yes. Result = I can now charge 3.59 instead of 4.59 and still have same margins. Cheaper prices = more business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

LOB tbh. Both companies are UK owned and receive consignments from the same supplier and administer a price punters will pay.

If you read up on it there are no such gaping price disparitys between Germany/Holland, France/Spain eg for FMCG.

Well obviously you either didnt read up on it or read a leaflet you got in the Sinn Fein office.

If you lived here (Holland) you'd know that there is gaping differences between The Netherlands and Germany.

When doing a big buy in Ikea its always worth driving across the border to save a couple hundred euro.

Ikea Deutschland
    http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/S69839888
    BEDDINGE HÅVET

Ikea Nederland
    http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S69839888
    BEDDINGE HÅVET

Ikea UK
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09848329
    BEDDINGE HÅVET
    £325.00 STG Conversion at
    325.00 GBP

406.796 EUR
    United Kingdom Pounds Euro
    1 GBP = 1.25168 EUR 1 EUR = 0.798927 GBP

And thats one example, Media Markt is another classic example, Same company, same currency different markets.

So in short, stop whining, if you've an issue with it then travel to that place and avail of price in that location.

mcaul wrote: »
    So I said, if I collected the goods, can I pay UK prices? - They had to say yes. Result = I can now charge 3.59 instead of 4.59 and still have same margins. Cheaper prices = more business.

It does make sense, but you say that the store is in Carlow. I presume that you've factored in the cost of going to the North to collect etc.

dudara wrote: »
    It does make sense, but you say that the store is in Carlow. I presume that you've factored in the cost of going to the North to collect etc.

yep - €50 for the carrier I use to collect from NI & deliver to warehouse in Athy. Approx. value of goods on pallet region £1000. Delivery cost 4%.

craichoe wrote: »
    Well obviously you either didnt read up on it or read a leaflet you got in the Sinn Fein office.

If you lived here (Holland) you'd know that there is gaping differences between The Netherlands and Germany.

When doing a big buy in Ikea its always worth driving across the border to save a couple hundred euro.

Ikea Deutschland
    http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/S69839888
    BEDDINGE HÅVET

Ikea Nederland
    http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S69839888
    BEDDINGE HÅVET

Ikea UK
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09848329
    BEDDINGE HÅVET
    £325.00 STG Conversion at
    325.00 GBP

406.796 EUR
    United Kingdom Pounds Euro
    1 GBP = 1.25168 EUR 1 EUR = 0.798927 GBP

And thats one example, Media Markt is another classic example, Same company, same currency different markets.

So in short, stop whining, if you've an issue with it then travel to that place and avail of price in that location.

Dont remember whining, I was just throwing it out there.

FFS, IKEA used as an example! Sure you might as well have posted up car price comparisons :rolleyes:

Judging on the car parks in Newry this week I think a lot of people have taken your advice if you've an issue with it then travel to that place and avail of price in that location

Dont remember whining, I was just throwing it out there.

FFS, IKEA used as an example! Sure you might as well have posted up car price comparisons :rolleyes:

Judging on the car parks in Newry this week I think a lot of people have taken your advice if you've an issue with it then travel to that place and avail of price in that location

Well you did make a sweeping comment that there wasnt a price difference between The Netherlands and Germany, care to point out where this literature was that stated this ?

Because it simply isnt true.

Whats wrong with using IKEA as an example, same product, same currency, two IKEA stores are around 2 1/2 hrs drive away form each other.

Spending 2 - 3 K fitting out an apartment will add up

Well you did make a sweeping comment that there wasnt a price difference between The Netherlands and Germany, care to point out where this literature was that stated this ?

German consumers rights office :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

On two of my first visits to Clare Hall I fell foul of tescos dodgy vaguely misleading pricing. In both cases I spotted the mistake as soon as I paid but you have to go to Customer Service for a refund and queue for ages.
    Firstly I got a mango, this was directly under a label with Mangoes 99 cents. I was charged €2.89 so I questioned it. 'Thats not a mango, its a LARGE mango so its €2.89' Secondly I bought two indian dishes Tarka Dhal - basically lentils. A bright yellow sticker on each proclaimed £2, 2 euro for dhal not bad. I was charged somewhere around €3 each. When I queried this I was told the large sticker price was Sterling. I find this really irritating and dont visit tesco anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

caz34 wrote: »
    A bright yellow sticker on each proclaimed £2, 2 euro for dhal not bad. I was charged somewhere around €3 each. When I queried this I was told the large sticker price was Sterling. I find this really irritating and dont visit tesco anymore.

Yes if it says £ it is sterling, € is euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

If you get a special offer in tesco check your bill before leaving (it will save you time and money),you will get it for nothing if you get overcharged but beware they will put up a fight.They are bad for pricing not been shown or shown wrongly(as they are constantly changing prices and offers) so you are liable to encounter problems if you shop quickly.Have found their staff in some stores very unhelpful but overall have saved a fortune on their points back schemes(which i have quadrupled on their voucher deals),half price tv,s games,games consols,garden funiture and computers so i forgive them their odd mistake or unhelpful staff.

German consumers rights office :)

Yeahhhh .. right :)

Can you remember what it was called auf deutsch ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Probably something snappy like Rechts*schutz*versicherungs*gesellschaften or Donau*dampfschiffahrts*elektrizitäten*haupt*betriebs*werkbau*unterbeamten*gesellschaft

parsi wrote: »
    Probably something snappy like Rechts*schutz*versicherungs*gesellschaften or Donau*dampfschiffahrts*elektrizitäten*haupt*betriebs*werkbau*unterbeamten*gesellschaft

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I always check my receipt. The only time i ever had a problem was with some aero hot chocolate. This i noticed at the till so i cancelled that item and was told to go to customer service to sort it out. I went up there gave them the item etc, they checked the display and found it wrong so gave me the item back and then proceeded to give me money as a refund? I was honest and said i have not paid for it yet and this confused the poor girl si she re calculated and gave me something like 30c back? I think she was giving me the difference back or something.. instead of again pointing out i had not ye paid i took the money and walked away with a free hot chocolate and 30c or so richer :D

Nein !

Advertisement