Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Cart Query

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Boardies,

I have recently undertaken a web development project for a small business to showcase some of their products. I've implemented the design using css, javascript etc. and now I've been told that the company would like to introduce an online shopping facility to the website.

I'm toying with the idea of designing my own shopping cart using php/mysql, and I've began running myself through a few tutorials using apache and some php code.

Anyways - to the point - am I going down a long, stressful path designing my own shopping cart? I've looked at some shopping cart software, although it seems the ones I have encountered involve the designing of a full website for you, which is not what I'm after at all.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of some instances of shopping cart software which I'm able to code into an existing site?

Any opinions or pieces of advice are welcome.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the speel!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Sykth wrote: »
    Anyways - to the point - am I going down a long, stressful path designing my own shopping cart? I've looked at some shopping cart software, although it seems the ones I have encountered involve the designing of a full website for you, which is not what I'm after at all.

Design yes,

Build and develop (You must have a lot of time) For a single developer I would guess it would take a couple years to come up to the standard of the current open source products out there, if even it was possible and even if you did you would need constant security updates and software updates.

Shopping carts operate on a two tier basis the front end and the backend(front end what the people see and back end is like the back office where everything is controlled)

You can design the front end anyway to your liking to blend in with your existing website. May take a bit of time learning the new format but if it didn’t there’d be no fun.:)

Try downloading a few open source products Zen Cart, Magento, Os-Commerce and look at the template files and see which you would feel comfortable editing and blend in with the existing website.

Just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sykth

Thanks for your advice Namesco - i'll definitely check out the open source options as a viable option.

One query though - I tried OsCommerce but it seemed to create a default template as you suggested.

Do I have to apply my website design to the template in order for this to work, or is their a way of implementing the shopping cart into the existing site without using one of their site templates?

I don't fancy having an online shop link if possible, I'd prefer to have the shopping cart seemlessly integrated into the website.

Apologies if this seems like a silly question - head is a bit pickled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

One query though - I tried OsCommerce but it seemed to create a default template as you suggested.

That's why I don't like Os-Commerce too much as it comes complete with the template where as Zen-Cart a break a away from Os (and more user friendly)years ago adds the option of building templates and you can have a choice of templates. And they also have this over ride system whichover rides the template default.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Do I have to apply my website design to the template in order for this to work, or is their a way of implementing the shopping cart into the existing site without using one of their site templates
    I think you have to merge your site into osCommerce. Having said that, you might have better luck with osCMax - osCommerce with a number of useful enhancements already included, including a template system.
    I don't fancy having an online shop link if possible, I'd prefer to have the shopping cart seemlessly integrated into the website.
    Another option could be to use PayPal shopping cart - I've seen it used on Cork Coffee Roasters site. They don't have many products.

Advertisement