Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Standards

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/politician-suspended-for-greasy-wops-gaffe-1410954.html

I could not help but compare this to the Conor Lenihan 'kebabs incident' in the Dail, some time ago. I know that was 3 years ago and has probably been discussed here before, but it still amazes me how little was made of it by the government, press and electorate.

Not only do we, the electorate, overwhelmingly re-elect such politicans..but make them Ministers for Integration!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

We're just far more tolerant of dodgy remarks here. Maybe it's a good thing, sometimes. I mean, take Conor's aunty Mary's "working like blacks" comment. If a British politician had said that, they would have been instantly banished into obscurity. Here though, there was a general acceptance that O'Rourke, a septogenarian, used a phrase which people of her generation have been using for years, and that she wasn't in any way 'racist'.

For me, what was most disgraceful about Lenihan's 'kebabs incident' wasn't the xenophobia, but the typical Fianna Fail-style snide, arrogant dismissal of the serious issue of exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

RayM wrote: »
    For me, what was most disgraceful about Lenihan's 'kebabs incident' wasn't the xenophobia, but the typical Fianna Fail-style snide, arrogant dismissal of the serious issue of exploitation.

+1

Moving the thread off topic slightly, during that whole Gama workers debate I remember a phrase that was often bandied about by those who supported the workers that there were more dog-license inspectors in Ireland than there were labour regulations inspectors. Does anyone know if this situation has changed since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I don't think that Mary O'Rourke was especially insensitive (especially as the phrase is NOT 'work like a black') Conor Lenihan's remark is less about racism and more about the contempt this 3rd (or is it 4th) generation member of the ruling elite has for poor people regardless of their nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

RayM wrote: »
    We're just far more tolerant of dodgy remarks here. Maybe it's a good thing, sometimes. I mean, take Conor's aunty Mary's "working like blacks" comment. If a British politician had said that, they would have been instantly banished into obscurity. Here though, there was a general acceptance that O'Rourke, a septogenarian, used a phrase which people of her generation have been using for years, and that she wasn't in any way 'racist'.
    +1

Advertisement