Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched to blacksmithing

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I switched to blacksmithing last night, after having mining and skinning (origionally choosen as an easy option to make money when i was still a newbie) with my holy paladin.

I have been trying to get my armor and stats to the best i can, before WotLK. And as I am currently in a guild with no Kara ready players, i have been relying 100% on my own abilities to get good gear.

Im sick of BG and everyone has the same stuff because of it.

Last night I found the plan for Dawnsteel shoulders in the AH. A kick ass pair of healing plate shoulders. They will ubber me up a great deal.

Now, I have to deal with getting my BSing up to 375 ASAP. Can anyone offer me some advice on the best way to farm ore, in the best places. Im ok for the outland ores, but its just the other ones Im concerend about.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

probably the most expensive and painful profession to level, don't do it! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 displeaser

Have a look at addons that have options for tracking ore positions. Personally I would go for cartographer. You can download a database of established ore spawn points which helps a lot (also allows you to filter what ore is displayed so you can get it to show you, just the ore you need for your current level of mining). Also get the cartographer routes addon, that will plot the most optimal route around an area to gather the most ore in the least distance travelled.

Dissy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mining Ore is painful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the barrens is a decent place for copper anyway, some tin and silver too. Afetr that i have no idea. That addon dissy mentioned seems dead handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

There is power levelling guides for each profession around. I presume the mining one would be good for ore types.

Sec I find them. Here check out this thread

http://www.designfork.com/terenastavern/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5770&sid=559161cfdcabd6ddab2f448b7e8d6400

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

displeaser wrote: »
    Have a look at addons that have options for tracking ore positions. Personally I would go for cartographer. You can download a database of established ore spawn points which helps a lot (also allows you to filter what ore is displayed so you can get it to show you, just the ore you need for your current level of mining). Also get the cartographer routes addon, that will plot the most optimal route around an area to gather the most ore in the least distance travelled.

Dissy

Thats sweet!
    Ill check out the add-ons later. Farming Ore is painful, but i need to do it for those kick ass shoulders, will be worth it!

Ill post up a pic when I finally make them.

It sucks that all the weapons and armor at the end of blacksmithing, that none of them are geared for healers! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 displeaser

Here's the links to cartographer, database of ore nodes and the routes:

Cartographer
    Cartographer data (go down to page 7 and download Cartographer_data)

Cartographer routes overview
    Info on Cartographer Routes homepage
    And its download: Linky

Complete collection of cartographer addons: Linky

Using WoWAceUpdater it makes it very easy to install and upgrade any ACE based addon. You can have a look at "WAU" here.

Hope this helps,
    Dissy

That is 100% brilliant! Thanks a million, gonna d/l that when I go home.

Do you use it yourself displeaser?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tbh engineering would have been a better choice - the Justicebringer 2000 Specs are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Tbh engineering would have been a better choice - the Justicebringer 2000 Specs are very good.

ROFLCOPTER! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

If it's ores your after I'd recommend getting yourself over to Thousand Needles and keep doing circles of it, you'll pick up everything from copper to the occasional mithril.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dawnsteel shoulders required 2 heart of darkness. I'm assuming since you dont have access to Kara that you also dont have access to Mount Hyjal or Black Temple. This means you'll have to buy them from raiding guilds that are A)still doing the place B) not using the hearts of darkness and C)Not already so flush with gold that they can be bothered selling them for a reasonable price.

A reasonable price would be in the region of 300-500 gold, each. Unless it has dropped drastically in price, and I doubt that :(

I would also have to second the idea of going engineering instead.

On my paladin I'm Engineering and Blacksmithing, two great professions but a pain to level up due to not having mining. My advice is go engineering first then farm tons of spare ores once you have your Justicebringer helm. Then drop mining and get blacksmithing too. Course that is a very longterm investment of time, so you need to consider what your priority is...

I get what you mean about Engenering, its just doesnt appeal to me!
    Maybe some alt down the road. But Im liking BSing, did alot over the weekend.

Thx for the heads up on Thousand needles Schism, thats the new plan for tonight now.

Yeah, I dont have access to Kara, or Hyjal or BT, but I knew this before I bought the plans. They are 2000+ each in the AH, which is extortion, but I do have friends in high lvl guilds, and once my gf gets to 70, Im getting back inot raiding with her. So I will get them some how.

If all else fails, ill farm dailys and get the money to buy them in 2-3 weeks, BS is only 155 at the mo, but considdering I spent 13 gold getting it up that high in 2 days, Im making good progress IMO!

Oh and that Cartographer isn't working anymore, the new version is just called Routes. Ill d/l that later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

To be honest hun I wouldnt waste the money on BS. Think about those shoulders, are they really worth the price of the recipe+mats+skilling up BS?

Just do plenty of heroics and get those badges, once your geared a wee bit then go and pug Kara = more badges and loot. The Sunwell patch gear is on par with BT gear, as much as its pissed the elitists off its a nice way to get geared quickly.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Smith_Hauthaa

and these for the rest of the slots;

http://www.wowwiki.com/G%27eras

PS: The engi helm is sweet :)

I have 34 badges of justice, and thats all Ive ever had.

I was in a great Kara raiding guild, I raided every thrid night and we always did very well. Did a few heroics with them too.

BUT! They did a merger with another guild and all us less powerful spec'ed got left behind, while they went off to SSC. I dont really have time to look for heroics, cos Im in a lower level guild helping out some new players with their gear and helping them play to the best they can.

Im a very well speced Pala, but we all crave more. Ive always enjoyed mining, i find it relaxing (maybe that sounds weird, but i love running around looking for ore when there is nothing bette to do).

The shoulders are great, maybe not worth the effort, but 'IF' I ever get a chance to make them, that will be a great feeling of acomplishment.

When my gf gets to 70, ill go back kara raiding, but until then, ill bs and see how it goes.

Advertisement