Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com - Did you know...

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

Did you know that if you order something from play.com and it "becomes unavailable" rather than "out of stock" that

1) Your order is automatically cancelled by the system
    2) You are not informed by email.
    3) You have no right to be informed, because play.com staff don't even find out. Your order is just magically cancelled

I didn't know this 'till i was informed by their customer service about it but that's ok because they also said that i "didn't need to now about this" and that their system makes perfect sense.

for some reason i feel rather hesitant about ordering from them again.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Grand, the less people that order from them the more items will be in stock for me :)

For the money saving side of things its worth logging into your play.com to see if the order is still progressing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

did you follow up with any sort of formal complaint and if you did what did they say?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold and then told i'd be called back, that never happened. Play are worse than Dabs when it comes to trying to contact someone though with all email addresses being guarded secrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nothing worse than something being "excalated" to the trash can :(

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Did you know that if you order something from play.com and it "becomes unavailable" rather than "out of stock" that

1) Your order is automatically cancelled by the system
    2) You are not informed by email.
    3) You have no right to be informed, because play.com staff don't even find out. Your order is just magically cancelled

I didn't know this 'till i was informed by their customer service about it but that's ok because they also said that i "didn't need to now about this" and that their system makes perfect sense.

for some reason i feel rather hesitant about ordering from them again.

I ordered a 3 HDDvd deal from play in March and the charged me for all 3 HDDvd's but only could supply 2 of them. The third one The Bourne Ultimatum @ €9.49 is still outstanding and paid for since then, I sent several emails and got no reply. The disk is still out of stock 3 months later and no refund or email.

What should I do when I can't get any reply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to say I've never had isssues with Play not replying to e-mails, they've always been within 24hrs and they've been very helpful regarding returning items I just wanted to exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I like play.com for the free postage, it always seems to work out cheaper than Amazon or Easons. I only order maybe 1 book a month, less sometimes but I haven't had any problems. I'd definitely like to be told if my order was cancelled though so I wouldn't be watching the postman wondering where my book was.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

does anybody have a contact email address for them, my order status shows as order taken and its been 3 weeks since I placed the order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭kramerica

really great when this happens on Christmas week...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Brenno

Cabaal - what email address do you use to contact play.com? I've been searching for one for a week as the info email bounces back as unattended. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Play are a right shower. You will get an auto-reply from info@play.com saying that the mailbox is unattended, but they do reply, IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT. They reply to some of my messages to that address but just ignore others.

I never came across a company that was so difficult to contact, except for scammers.

Found a play.com email address that seems to get to them - try:

helpdesk@play.com

I sent a ranting email last night and they replied saying they had received it and gave me some sort of ticket number...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Cocoon wrote: »
    I ordered a 3 HDDvd deal from play in March and the charged me for all 3 HDDvd's but only could supply 2 of them. The third one The Bourne Ultimatum @ €9.49 is still outstanding and paid for since then, I sent several emails and got no reply. The disk is still out of stock 3 months later and no refund or email.

Send a mail to helpdesk stating you will implement a chargeback with VISA for inability of Play to fulfil the contract. That should have them coming quickly. And don't mention you received the other 2.

I just got through directly to a real live human being in Play.Com on this number:

+44 (0)1534 877 595 (Outside UK)

Happy complaining folks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pacman01

Well I finally hit them today about their "exchange rates" being in contravention of the 2005 EU directive on cross border trading... The Play website won't let you order in GBP (and getting an exchange rate closer to 1.25) if you're using an Irish credit card. This falls under the "agressive practices" that limit a consumer's choice or forces them to make a decision they are not happy with regarding their purchase.

I'm sure it's an oversight on their part. I'll keep you posted on what they come back with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I have a DVD box set "[URL="javascript:void(0);"]Lars Von Trier's Europe Trilogy: Element Of Crime / Epidemic / Europa (4 Discs) (Region 2 DVD)[/URL]" on order since 21/07/2008.

The status is "Order Taken". It has not been cancelled, just has the same status since July.

Never had this issue before. Anyone know what it means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I have the same problem, two DVDs ordered on 21/06. Contacted them after about a month and they changed the status from Order Taken to Awaiting Stock. Read somewhere that somebody else had this problem, eventually Play just cancelled the order, without telling them.

It's annoying because the DVDs were part of a promotion, and one was an individual part of a trilogy. I don't expect to get the disks now. They are HDDVD. They may be getting new HDDVD stock in, but I don't think so. In the meantime my order just sits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Yeah, the box set I ordered was a promo. €20.99.

Currently it is listed as "In stock at PlayTrade | New & Used from EUR 52.19"

Is this seperate from their own stock?

I have now sent a mail to helpdesk@play.com. Got an auto reply with a ticket number.

Don't think I am going to get this order, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Cocoon wrote: »

Chargeback on credit card.

I am not sure if Jersey has same consumer laws an Englnd/Scotland/Wales. If they do the goods should have been shipped with 28 days of payment taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i often bought stuff off play.com ,but i have noticed with some items,that when the sterling is converted into the euro on the site,some of them can be €10 difference!,for instance,metal slug anthonlogy ps2, £15.24,select euro and its converted into €25 :S

• Advertisement
Advertisement