Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Off travelling for 3 months, should I leave car sitting in drive?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Headin off travelling for a bit and only option is to leave car in drive for about 3 months, and no opportunity for someone to turn it over now and again - is this advisable, will it affect car in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

What type of car is it? Some people would disconnect the battery to stop it going flat and prevent it being stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

its an 05 Astra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'd disconnect the battery, leave the fuel tank reasonably empty if its a petrol and leave the handbrake off to stop the brakes siezing. Might be a good idea to change the oil too when you come back. Apart from that the car should be fine.

ok thanks for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Taking out the battery as suggested will stop thieves driving away alright, but if its parked up for 3 months someone may still try, without knowing there's no battery. When my sister went away traveling, she took out the drivers seat. the ultimate thief deterrent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ferris wrote: »
    I'd disconnect the battery, leave the fuel tank reasonably empty if its a petrol and leave the handbrake off to stop the brakes siezing. Might be a good idea to change the oil too when you come back. Apart from that the car should be fine.

+1 - good advice.......make sure you have the radio code for the stereo for when you return to get your stereo back working...Before you disconnect the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

If you know someone who will take it for a short spin every weekend that'd help.
    If that person has a locked garage that'd help even more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ferris wrote: »

You'll also need 4 new tyres, sitting on the same spot for 3 months would put a flat spot on them. Maybe invest in a car cover to keep the bird sh!te and other grime off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Firstly, disconnect the battery, this will stop it going flat while you are away, you wont need a radio code, as your radio is programmed to the car, so will work as soon as you reconnect the battery.

I wouldnt worry about anyone trying to rob the car, it has an immobiliser chip in the key so without that it will not start. car theives will know this so wont bother trying. All modern cars have this and that is why theives break into houses now for the keys so dont leave them at home.

Pump your tyres up to around 40-45 PSI. This will help keep the tyres in good condition. just remember to adjust them back to the normal pressure when you get back. You wont need to replace them after sitting for 3 months(provided they are in good condition now and you dont have a slow puncture)This is the way brand new cars arrive as they are sometimes in storage for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I just had a Skoda Octavia & a Suzuki Swift sitting in the driveway for four months. When the two owners came home we just had to jump start them from another car. Its best to then go for a long drive (couple hours) to recharge the batterys (garage guy told us). Everything else was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll also need 4 new tyres, sitting on the same spot for 3 months would put a flat spot on them. Maybe invest in a car cover to keep the bird sh!te and other grime off.

Not on modern Radial tyres.

Thanks for help folks - one thing I realised is the drive at home is on a slope, not very long and there is a 10 foot drop onto the main road below that - I wouldn't want to leave it on the flat bit before the drop as that is kind of outside the boundary of the house and narrow enough with neighbours cars passing back and forth every day - would leaving it on the slope on the handbrake be totally inadvisable, or should I just try and find somewhere flat to leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Just leave it in gear with the handbrake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

PaulKK wrote: »
    Just leave it in gear with the handbrake off.

maybe put some chokes behind the wheels, angled lump of wood should do.
    enjoy your trip:)

Advertisement