Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tats, Just how painful are they??

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Honestly do they really hurt tht badly?

ive always wanted to get one on my ankle, apparently the foot is one of the worst spots???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Ruby-J wrote: »

ive always wanted to get one on my ankle, apparently the foot is one of the worst spots???

It's lots of small needles entering your skin many times per second, it hurts, how much depends on your own pain tolerance. Some people find it intensely painful, other people enjoy it and fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

and is the foot, ankle area really bad as its so close to the bone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Depends on a number of factors.

For me it was like someone getting a needle and lightly scratching my skin.

Didn't really feel it. Girlfriend didn't find any of hers painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

and is the foot, ankle area really bad as its so close to the bone?

About as painful as childbirth

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

I have 7 Tattoos each one was just as painful as the next. You have to put your mind to it is going to be painful. The other half has a full sleeve on one side and a half sleeve on the other. Was in agony getting some parts of it done, but if you really want it you will put up with it. You can get creams to rub in to numb the pain a bit but they are counter productive. Yes they ease the pain a bit but artist has to penetrate more to get the ink to hold, this mean the healing process takes longer. It does also depend on your pain threshold. I have none but I was happy to sit for 4 hours to get my lower leg done twice. It took too sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

if you want it you do it, my description of my first one was like have a rusty nail dragged through my flesh, but meh, take a painkiller before you go in if you have feic all pain threshold, just not one that has aspirin in it...but you get through it like, just breath and focus on other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

yes tattoos hurt.
    the best way to while you get your tats done is to free your mind.
    For example,bring an book,i-pod or somthing that will relax you.
    The out lineing of the tattoo is the first pain thresshold and after awhile when the shading or colours are applied,the numbness comes to effect as it happen to me imo.
    Your tattooist will always make sure that you are comfortable.
    He will also ask you if you are ok.
    If anytime you feel its to much in one stage,the tattooist will will stop for you at any time during the work.
    Just ask and dont be afraid to ask to stop for a few minutes.
    During my 4.5 hours on my calf ,i asked him to stop for a few mins when i felt to much and he was most happy to.
    At the end of the day you will be happy when its over.
    Good luck with your tattoo and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Yeah, make sure you don't take painkillers that contains aspirin as this thins the blood and makes you more susceptible to bleeding. We took the anti-anxiety, Xanax, before we went in (we asked the studio if this was allowed - i'd advise the same before taking something beforehand). Pain wise, it didn't do anything for me but it helped me relax and not freak out as much. In regards to how painful it is, as already said, it depends on your pain threshold. I've a high pain tolerance but even I got a bit of a shock when it started. However, you do get used to it and it's over before you know it.

I found the outline was more painful than the filling in. The artist explained it was because the outline is done with a much finer needle.

My friend has the lowest pain tolerance- and she got the side of her foot tattooed and she was absolutely fine. Her foot started shaking for a bit initially but after a few minutes she was grand again. She said the most painful part was where the fibula bone comes out of your foot.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Personally I love getting tattooed, the feeling is comparable to none - bar getting my sternum tattooed, that was unbelievably painful :p
    There's no point taking painkillers as they won't make any difference, a placebo maybe but no effect in general, except for thinning your blood.
    A little Dutch courage beforehand doesn't help either, and getting it done hungover stings more than normal.
    No one can really prepare you for your first tattoo different pain thresholds etc, other than maybe tell you that it's gonna be awful and you'll psyche yourself up for the worst. At the end of the day, if it's something you REALLY want, you'll do it regardless :)

Cherryvega wrote: »
    Personally I love getting tattooed, the feeling is comparable to none - bar getting my sternum tattooed, that was unbelievably painful
    Sorry i have to ask you.
    Your sternum tattooed?
    Is that part of your ear?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Chest Alan, its the chest area. Below your neck, above your belly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Here:

sorry about that.
    Im getting the body parts wrong again as im half asleep!
    i have got good diagrams just downloaded of the ear piercing areas!
    I dont know why i thought that the Sternum was part of the ear how stupid of me.
    Sorry Will i should have known better:o.
    http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/bazookatooth23/EarDiagram.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

i have one on my foot, its pretty much the same as gettin everywer else tattooed, after a while it just goes numb so u stop feeling too much pain!! I didnt find it too painful, but then again, i quite like the feling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I have shag all of a pain treshold but, as was said earlier, most artists don't mind if you stop every now and again. After all they are trying to give you the best experience possible. Ye might even get to like it.

The biggest worry is feeling like you are going to be sick or having that pre-faint feeling (well thats the way I was on my first). This is your blood sugars getting low. Just remember to bring a sweet drink with you. Natural fruit juices are probably the best.

These are just my hints and tips. May not work for all.

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    I have shag all of a pain treshold but, as was said earlier, most artists don't mind if you stop every now and again. After all they are trying to give you the best experience possible. Ye might even get to like it.

The biggest worry is feeling like you are going to be sick or having that pre-faint feeling (well thats the way I was on my first). This is your blood sugars getting low. Just remember to bring a sweet drink with you. Natural fruit juices are probably the best.

These are just my hints and tips. May not work for all.
    i allways get a few cups of teas and a smoke when i get mine done.
    works wonders to relax while getting tats done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Yeah. That can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Because my pituitary/andrenal function is not normal, pain killers do not have the same kinda effect on me, and I don't really get endorphins. Thus I don't get relief from pain, and I don't get the numbing sensation that most people do after a while. I also found the shading to be more painful than the outlining, but probably only because mine was solid black, and as such, was put in deep... plus the fact that it's several needles puncturing your skin at a high speed rather than just one... But I found it painful but bearable, and well worth it for the end result. :)

Because my pituitary/andrenal function is not normal, pain killers do not have the same kinda effect on me, and I don't really get endorphins. Thus I don't get relief from pain, and I don't get the numbing sensation that most people do after a while. I also found the shading to be more painful than the outlining, but probably only because mine was solid black, and as such, was put in deep... plus the fact that it's several needles puncturing your skin at a high speed rather than just one... But I found it painful but bearable, and well worth it for the end result. :)
    like i said Damo, have a cup of tea and a fag next time you go for a tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

everyone finds it different, it depends on your personal pain tolerance! i have one on the bone of my ankle..... and ill tell ya summit wrist and ribs hurt alot more.... and at that it was only uncomfortable not really "painful" but thats just me!

my fiances sister had an ankle foot one done (and she has 4 others too) and she was cryin in pain gettin foot done!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I would say the closer it gets to the ankle bone, the sorer it is, but it's definitely not unbearable!! FFS, I have the worst pain threshold ever! If I can get a tattoo, anyone can!! The best way I can describe it is kinda like a sharp pinching. I find if you bring a book, or magazine, or even just find something on the wall to focus on, it'll help you block out the pain. If you're really feeling overwhelmed, ask the tattooist can you stop for a second and have a break.

Also, if you're starting to feel sick or dizzy or anything for the love of god tell them!! When my BF was in getting his tattoo, there was another guy getting inked just across from him, and we were just chatting away, when all of a sudden we hear this almighty crash. The guy getting inked had just passed out cold, and nearly headbutted the artist who was working on him on the way down!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

they do and they don't hurt that badly. it really is a perspective thing. make sure you're looking after yourself properly... i was pretty run down when i got my foot one done, had just spent a few weeks out drinking and not eating properly and barely sleeping soberly, and consequently, felt every bit of pain a zillion times more than if i'd been in a healthy shape for it.

even so, i have to say, at one point, my foot spasmed (how on earth is that spelt?) and i had to stop and come back another day. i took a pic here, and outlined in black the bit i got the tat on, and the red bit is the bit that was killer. annoyingly, there was probably most detail in that section, and i spent a little while swearing at my poor tattooist (note: make sure you're going to a nice, understanding one before you try that one...)...

deleteme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

and i spent a little while swearing at my poor tattooist (note: make sure you're going to a nice, understanding one before you try that one...)...

haha, that's quite true!
    when i was getting my back done, mark kept asking was i ok and all i could manage was a "fcuk off".

he understood! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I just got my foot done yesterday and the part with most detail was also in the part of the foot shown by crumble froo. It was by far the sorest bit of my four tattoos. I didnt curse at the artist though- would have been too hard to through my finger which I was biting at the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Really depends on the person. But for me the worst was the inner part of my upper arm. And top of my shoulder. 2.5 hours of PAIN.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. I was glad when that was over!!

Dont let that put you off. Its painful, but not unbearable for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

It hurts for some people and not as much for others!!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's also a lot to be said for the power of the mind. If you go in sh!tting your brick, absolutely convinced it's going to be blindingly painful, then yes, it will be cos you've built it up that way! But if you go in calm and tell yourself it's nothing to worry about, breathe deeply and focus on something else, it will be so so so much easier!! Besides, when you put it into perspective, it's only a little bit of pain for something that'll be gorgeous and you'll have forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Cherryvega wrote: »
    Here:

Pffft.....mine`s bigger!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Penis-Cat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

its very obvious now by reading this that the pain of tattoo's or lack of in some cases is very different for everyone. I have 6 tattoo's and got my newest one last saturday on my foot and I can swar to you all now that I will never get one on my other foot. OUCH!!! :D but everyone is different. so it all depends. some good advice here though on methods of pain relief.

Advertisement