Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SECRET

Options
  • 20-06-2008 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hey y'all,

I'm currently reading the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne - it was given to me by a friend - I've seen the hype about this on the Oprah show but was intrigued to read the book. So i've just finished the first chapter - i bet it's gona need two reads if not more to grasp what's really being said. Anyhow, I just wanna know what's the verdict here?? Have you read it?? Have you put into practice what's being suggested and has it worked??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thumbtackjack

Have ya finished it? Is it worth a read?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'll save you the trouble. "Think nice things and good things will happen."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thumbtackjack

Thanks, I'm a slow reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I think theres a firm psychological reasoning as to why something like this would appear to work. If you anticipate good things happening your going to specifically look for them which means two things a) you make a big deal out of small good things and say thats the good thing you wanted and b) you will tend to ignore the bad things.

My mother manifested money. A year later she went to the bank and they gave her a loan. She said that was her manifesting. Someone else might say that its was just common banking practice. A third might point out to all the bills on the table and sneer. I would go "meh." If it makes people feel good then I see no problem in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Have read it, a load of rubbish. Think positive thoughts..... I am still waiting for my BIG cheque to come through the post.....positive thoughts, positive thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I think theres a firm psychological reasoning as to why something like this would appear to work. If you anticipate good things happening your going to specifically look for them which means two things a) you make a big deal out of small good things and say thats the good thing you wanted and b) you will tend to ignore the bad things.

It's called confirmation bias.

Regarding the book, please to not waste your money on this trash, just have a look at the video advertisements for it on youtube, perfectly demonstrates just how bloody retarded the whole thing is (except of course for the author who is now rolling in dough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vagante

Now I am really curious to google this book

Don't waste your money or time, it really is typical American " I can make you millions without you getting out of bed" rubbish. You would be better off reading The Beano!!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I've never read it, but it does get some glowing reviews. :D

• Advertisement

Yes, well, paper never refused ink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hey,

I've read most of it. Its main point is that thoughts become things. Therefore, positive thoughts make for a more positive life. I certainly tried to think more positively and yes great things happened! Ie-my favourite lip gloss for free, 50e off of a pair of boots i couldnt afford ect ect. But that isnt the point. The book reminds us that we are in control of our own lives by making our own positive choices. Gratitude is a major thing also. Be grateful for everything. My sister and brother practice the secret naturally and everything falls into place for them. It's all about the power of positivity, and living a more fulfilled and peaceful life as a result of it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

SATSUMA wrote: »
    I certainly tried to think more positively and yes great things happened! Ie-my favourite lip gloss for free

Please demonstrate how positive thinking made you lip gloss free, I'm very interested to know.

EDIT: As an aside, suppose you spend tomorrow thinking very negatively for the entire time you are awake, and that the following day you play the lotto and win it. Would you then conclude that thinking negative thoughts causes good things to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbNJMUZSwo

it's just a book telling you to think positive.

I can do that: think positive!*

*free advice, I just saved you buying the book :)

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar..got there before me =]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm pulling mod privilege here. This is the Literature forum, not the self-help forum or, considering the subject matter, the snake-oil forum. The "pulling mod privilege part" is this: I agree with Catherine Bennett when she said in the Guardian that it was a "moronic hymn to greed and selfishness".

Complain to me by PM at your whim but this is not a decision I'm going to reverse. Just because something is published as a book doesn't mean it belongs in this forum and any book that offers not observing obese people as a method of weight control belongs in the realm of idiocy, which we don't do.

Not today folks. Practice confirmation bias and hope in your own homes. If you believe in it, that's fine but it still doesn't belong here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement