Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool Carlow Shops

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Unusual store in the old Eason's shop selling fancy foods, loads of yankee candles & gifts & cards.

Nice to see other new stores opening in the town centre - childrens store going into rainbow records and heard clothing store going into the front part of crottys.

Also heard Hickeys Home focus are going beside Homebase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

iamhunted wrote: »
    there was a cafe in there too (in dinn ri) opposite where blakes was.

did i miss it, or has no-one mentioned greasy micks yet?
    oh jesus with the crubeens in the big pot on the turf fire? and tearing the corner off the bag to let the vinegar and oil out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Yeah, Greasy Mick's was a bit of an institution alright. Was first in there in the early '80s.
    Can rem a story frm the mid '80s when I was a student in the Regional. Apparently, a gas cylinder went off in the place & went straight up through the building. Simultiously Greasy Mick stumbled out onto the street, on fire, earning him the short lived nickname, the Human Torch. Only in Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

Yeah, Greasy Mick's was a bit of an institution alright. Was first in there in the early '80s.
    Can rem a story frm the mid '80s when I was a student in the Regional. Apparently, a gas cylinder went off in the place & went straight up through the building. Simultiously Greasy Mick stumbled out onto the street, on fire, earning him the short lived nickname, the Human Torch. Only in Carlow!

was he a proper irish man, and try reattach anything tht "fell off", with insulation tap......

oh remember when the i.t. was called the regional? ah the RTC.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

That wasnt a gas can, it was the devil! One night a handsome young man stumbled into Greasy Micks (for a crubeen no doubht!). Anyway, they starting playing cards (as you do) and Mick dropped his, he bent down to pick them up and seen that the young man had hooves for feet!! At which point the stranger shot through the roof leaving a hole!!!! I think thats how the story goes.........:pac::P

See whats in there now?! A classy bridal, wedding dressing shop! haha, just doesnt seem right! Of course people not from Carlow wouldnt know the difference, but those of us from the town are always gonna associate that place with a greasy ol' chippers :D

• Advertisement

That wasnt a gas can, it was the devil! One night a handsome young man stumbled into Greasy Micks (for a crubeen no doubht!). Anyway, they starting playing cards (as you do) and Mick dropped his, he bent down to pick them up and seen that the young man had hooves for feet!! At which point the stranger shot through the roof leaving a hole!!!! I think thats how the story goes.........:pac::P

See whats in there now?! A classy bridal, wedding dressing shop! haha, just doesnt seem right! Of course people not from Carlow wouldnt know the difference, but those of us from the town are always gonna associate that place with a greasy ol' chippers :D

thats like not have stick-dan in bondage leather!!

Sorry what? Stick-dan in bondage leather? :eek:

didnt you hear?

stick-dan and patrickc partake in that kind of stuff.....

any one miss the old haddens indoor fountain per chance?

aynon wrote: »
    didnt you hear?

stick-dan and patrickc partake in that kind of stuff.....

In Greasy Micks?? :eek:

The haddens indoor fountain! Wow, now there was something that I had forgotten!! I remember at Christmas time too they used to have a big tree in there and a Santa grotto too! One year the Santa that was there knew me remarkably well, I was amazed!! Found out when I was older that it was my uncle! Damn! :P

Quiz question ;). There was once a large bronze statue of a dolphin and two children playing with it! Where was it?!

In Greasy Micks?? :eek:

The haddens indoor fountain! Wow, now there was something that I had forgotten!! I remember at Christmas time too they used to have a big tree in there and a Santa grotto too! One year the Santa that was there knew me remarkably well, I was amazed!! Found out when I was older that it was my uncle! Damn! :P

Quiz question ;). There was once a large bronze statue of a dolphin and two children playing with it! Where was it?!

oh god i know this one!!!was that at the town square beside the town hall?

• Advertisement

oh god i know this one!!!was that at the town square beside the town hall?

Nope! :D

god where was it then!!!!

On Tullow Street, outside the AIB Bank! ;)

oh right!!

god wasnt thinking up that end of the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

On Tullow Street, outside the AIB Bank! ;)

I was going to say that but i didnt get here quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

any one miss the old haddens indoor fountain per chance?
    wasn't there a Mr. Minute shoe repair / key cutters just to the right of the fountain..

What was the name of the electronics shop on Castle St.? Bought my Atari cassette games there and later bought my Amstrad 6128+ (still works) with their fancy 3" disks :)

that mr. minute is still there to my knowledge! but can any one tell me is the sewing shop still there beside it?

god i remember that, something like star computers, or something with stars, used to be the place i bought my first pc(dos/ibm) game!!!

there was also a newsagents at the corner in front of the L&N supermarket at the far end of Tullow St. that had a little section for Amstrad & Atari games, and there was also place at the Potato Market near where the Roadhouse is now.

Loveless wrote: »
    there was also a newsagents at the corner in front of the L&N supermarket at the far end of Tullow St. that had a little section for Amstrad & Atari games, and there was also place at the Potato Market near where the Roadhouse is now.

was that newsagent pauls new bookshop, where that real estates agent is now?

was that newsagent pauls new bookshop, where that real estates agent is now?
    no it was the very far end of Tullow St., opposite where the Music Factory is was. Carlow town has changed so much in the last ten years I don't know what shops are left there anymore.

• Advertisement

btw, who misses pauls bookshop....good i miss going in and having an intelligent conversation about books, unlike byrnes....."is this book good?" "its paperback...." "but is it good?" " like i said its paperback...."/conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Loveless wrote: »
    wasn't there a Mr. Minute shoe repair / key cutters just to the right of the fountain..

What was the name of the electronics shop on Castle St.? Bought my Atari cassette games there and later bought my Amstrad 6128+ (still works) with their fancy 3" disks :)

It was called Fitzgeralds afaik. Bought Moon Patrol, and Dig Dug there!!

The other one (where roadhouse is now) was called Micks or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

btw, who misses pauls bookshop....good i miss going in and having an intelligent conversation about books, unlike byrnes....."is this book good?" "its paperback...." "but is it good?" " like i said its paperback...."/conversation

what they answer you back?lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

anybody remember molly meighans fish shop where marinis amusements are now jimmy kings pub was next door and beside that was hoeys toy shop later to become anthony obriens jewelry shop beside that was jones boot shop across the road from that was dorans clothes shop where little jimmy doogue worked one of carlows best billiards players he taught richie greenie nolan how to play snooker

philog wrote: »
    anybody remember molly meighans fish shop where marinis amusements are now jimmy kings ...........

Sorry, wayyyyyyy off topic, but, does anyone remember Alfie King? He used to go around the town in the summer with only a pair of shoes and a trousers on him carrying a big log on his shoulder! :confused: He used to be challanging people to see if they could lift it! He was a bit of a muscle man! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

everybody remembers alfie a true character the likes of him will never be seen again i think the rocky films drove him over the edge he was a hardy lad in his day,,a great man for the ladies, may he rest in peace. anybody remember dez reas fishin and shootin shop beside the house for men,,manys the good catapult i got off dez.....a great man to fix a rod or a reel ..everything got fixed in them days...nothing was thrown away no need for recycling centres...especially bottles...you could get threepence back for them days...maybe even a tanner

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

alfie what a legend he was....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Carlo_Junkie

I have been reading all your messages :) about old Carlow Shops and I am hoping, with everyones permission, to put together a collection of your memories on the Carlow website: http://www.igp-web.com/carlow/index.htm

Who remembers the location of Liptons and L&N shops? I am trying to fit them into their respective streets within the town.

Thanks again to everyone for your valuable information about our fantastic Carlow:cool:

Hey! Welcome to the Carlow forum ;)

If any of the info I've supplied here is of any use to you at all then feel free to use it! :) Great site you have there by the way, have that one bookmarked a few years now, some great info on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great pic of Ducketts grove as it was years ago. Such a shame it's was burnt down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement