Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAK Moderators - Opinions

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

As above, any opinions on these mods are welcome. To be used with .22LR.

Also, can anyone point me somewhere that sells them online? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I''ve got one on my HMR. Makes a HUGE difference.
    But I reckon the steel Parker Hale one is better.

I've tried both but only own a SAK. The covers to dis-assemble
    it to clean it either get too tight or too loose and can be a pain.
    Also its made from Aluminium no an issue for a .22LR but for my rifle
    I've found that the first few baffles have wear and pitting on them.
    It gets filled up with black gunk fairly fast. I usually run it under a hot tap
    and use an old tooth brush to clean it and then dry it.

Duffys in Galway stock them but they are not listed on their webpage.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I would reckon the only mod to be putting on a rimfire

on a magnum rimfire the ase utra offers 10% more reduction at double the price

For a .22 saks the only way to go they're very well priced and preform vary well and dont need to be cleaned much if you do you can chuck em in a can of petrol over night or a dishwasher they're solid alluminum.

Re what bullets says they've changed the design ive both new and old and the newer one is a little quieter and the opening is way better although i havent fired many rounds through it only 50 or so and i wouldn't be concerned about built up that happens on them most of the stuff just gets shot straight through it only needs a cleaning every 300 or so rounds if even

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have a SAK on my CZ 22lr and using subs it will realy reduce a noise to just a light slapping sound very quite. It will only just reudce the noise a little using high velocity rounds.
    I use wash up liquid and toothbrush to keep it clean or I'm told to use Coca Cola and soak overnight to clean if very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Just to add

A moderator will reduce the sound created from the cobustion of the powder i.e. the bang

On a high velocity round the bullet is travelling faster than the speed of sound and thus creates a sonic boom as it passes through the sound barrier i.e the crack

With subs (sub-sonic) there is no crack and the bang is almost eliminated

With hyper (super-sonic) there is a crack and while the bang is almost eliminated the crack is very evident.

To hear it just take your mod off and fire a sub and a high velocity round after each other and then try it with the mod on the sound is very different

Thats why its almost immpossible to silence anything where the bullet is super sonic

Advertisement