Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT (Yet another question)

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Currently living in the 26 Counties, but as I also have a house in the North I am thinking seriously of moving back there for a while because of a slow down in work and a lower cost of living up there. My other half will continue to work in the same job in Dublin if we decide to move back North.
    If I was to buy 2 newish cars and have them registered to us in the North and we decided to move back south in just over 6 months would we be able to avoid the dreaded VRT or would customs/revenue just see our move as a blatant attempt to avoid VRT.
    Both cars that we are looking at would cost us approx €30k each to VRT :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

There is nothing the VRT people can do if you do it by the book.
    i.e. - you'll need to prove you lived the NI - they may request visa/credit card statements showing daily expenditure there, utility bills, p45's from former employers in NI, the works, reems of peaperwork supporting your residence and life in NI.

If you can do this, they must give you the VRT exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Will they not just see it as a blatant attempt to avoid VRT though?
    We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of VRT, but sadly it has to be paid. I am just trying to take advantage of the current strong euro, the fact that we have another house in the north and the legislation that allows you to take your own car in free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

TommyT wrote: »
    Will they not just see it as a blatant attempt to avoid VRT though?
    We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of VRT, but sadly it has to be paid. I am just trying to take advantage of the current strong euro, the fact that we have another house in the north and the legislation that allows you to take your own car in free of charge.

if you can provide proof of living abroad and owning the car for 6 months then you wont have to pay vrt simple as, who cares if they see it as a blatant attempt to avoid vrt they wont be able to do anything about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

TommyT wrote: »
    My other half will continue to work in the same job in Dublin if we decide to move back North.

Not sure they'll go for that: where will she be resident for tax purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Zube wrote: »
    Not sure they'll go for that: where will she be resident for tax purposes?

Will probably continue to pay her tax as normal in the south, though if it would help matters I am sure she would be willing to pay some to her majesties gov :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Sounds like you'll be fine, but your other half would not. Even if you register both cars in your name, she'll be driving around in a car with Northern plates in Dublin. While she could register in the North for taxes purposes, the rate that threads about customs have been popping up here lately I wouldn't be taking any risks in a car that would cost 30k to VRT (and therefore to get back - I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Maybe register both cars in your name.......I think you can get VRT exemption on 2 cars - but maybe i can be corrected on that.
    anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd double check that - if she's living in the north full-time: sleeps there, eats there, her husband works there and she spends her money there - I'd wonder if she should talk to her employer/HR dept about whether she's liable for UK income tax or Irish.

I'd also contact the VRO and ask them the question directly, they're not monsters, they're just civil servants tasked with enforcing taxation regulations. If you comply with the rules, they don't care how much tax you pay - there's a big difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I imported my car without having to pay VRT

You have to prove that you are resident in the north for the 6 months. Resident usually means working and living. Your partner can live in the north and work in the south and pay tax to the inland revenue up north I think. AFAIK this could represent a saving in itself as your partners tax liability will be lower and it would serve your purposes for proving residency.

Also remember that both your car insurance premiums will be more in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't know what your industry is but the IT market in the north is awful at the moment. I've spent at least 5 months solid looking for work up here and got nothing at all.

I'm do the opposite to you and moving to Dublin :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement