Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

withdraw from iraq and invade nigeria

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

surly given the political instability in nigeria and the disaster in iraq, doest it make sense to the incoming president to satisy the hawks and appease the oil hungry masses and pull out of iraq and invade nigeria, possibly an easier target politically, you know not arabic n all , definitly only a matter of time before there is an option like this on the horizon, this pres or the next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Firstly, Islam is one of the four main religions of Nigeria. Secondly, wtf??? Do you think that presidents go to war for the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

Firstly, Islam is one of the four main religions of Nigeria. Secondly, wtf??? Do you think that presidents go to war for the craic?

its not arabic though! i never suggested for a moment that the craic was involved, just the idea that as the invasion of iraq was to secure oil supplies, the fact of the matter is that nigeria is an easier target, its a collateral and logistical idea that i am suggesting for the new pres of old sam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If Republican War-Hawk McCain is elected in November 2008, anything is possible, especially when the magic word OIL is mentioned, although the USA population is tired of war. Plus, their military is suffering from burn-out with the never-ending Iraq war. I've heard that volunteers for the US National Guard were promised only one tour of duty in Iraq (if any), but many have been called for 2nd and sometimes 3rd tours of Iraq duty. Reports from the USA "home front" show lost employment, increased divorces, and greater number of vets returning with injuries (and combat stress). There has also been a national scandal in the news about how Iraq injured vets are failing to get proper medical care and treatment by their government run Veteran's Hospitals and related care facilities.

I would predict that Obama wins November 2008, because of his very clear and outspoken opposition to the Iraq War, and that the USA will be a bit more isolationist for awhile, and not run about the world looking for a fight (and OIL to exploit in that way).

The greedy US oil corporations better be careful that they don't overplay their power position with Bush, and with McCain (if he gets elected with their oil rich PAC campaign contributions). I just saw my first completely hydrogen powered SUV the other day, and it had a lot of pep and go, unlike the electric hybrids. It did not have a typical exhaust pipe either, emitting water into the air rather than poisonous fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

contact23 wrote: »
    surly given the political instability in nigeria and the disaster in iraq, doest it make sense to the incoming president to satisy the hawks and appease the oil hungry masses and pull out of iraq and invade nigeria, possibly an easier target politically, you know not arabic n all , definitly only a matter of time before there is an option like this on the horizon, this pres or the next.

given that American invasion of iraq lead to political instability where there was none.

Why would I be a good idea to increase political instability by invading iraq.

Would invade Iraq be considered to be waging an agressive war?

This is what the Nazis were charged with at The Nuremberg Trials:

Count One: Conspiracy to Wage Aggressive War
    This count helped address the crimes committed before the war began, showing a plan to commit crimes during the war.
    Count Two: Waging Aggressive War, or "Crimes Against Peace"
    Including “the planning, preparation, initiation, and waging of wars of aggression, which were also wars in violation of international treaties, agreements, and assurances.”
    Count Three: War Crimes
    These were the more “traditional” violations of the law of war including treatment of prisoners of war, slave labor, and use of outlaws weapons.
    Count Four: Crimes Against Humanity
    This count involved the actions in concentration camps and other death rampages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

well now that you mention it , I wholeheartly agree the invasion of Iraq is a heineous crime against humanity and I welcome your comparison of the us aggreression to the nazis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I see where you are coming from. :rolleyes:

Iraq 2003
    Population: c. 26 million
    Oil: 115 billion bbl
    Military: disfunctional and starved of parts and ammunition for 12+ years

Nigeria 2008
    Population: 138 million
    Oil: 37 billion bbl
    Military: corrupt, but functional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The inaccuracies in this thread are encyclopedic… not worth the time or effort in correcting. Suffice it to say Nigeria is off the table. :rolleyes:
    [/FONT]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Belfast wrote: »
    Why would I be a good idea to increase political instability by invading iraq.

I'm fairly sure the USSR was politically stable. Not entirely sure that living under the KGB was entirely the best option compared to the relative political instability of the West.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

I'll second the WTF. This has to be one of the dumber election related ideas. Bush's popularity is in the toilet, as is the economy. The War is one of the key reasons for both, so I doubt the next president is going to be urged to continue the policy of spreading democracy by force.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm
    have you been paying attention to mccain at all? that's exactly what he's proposing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Um, have you been paying attention to Nigeria? Invading might not be the best idea...
    Assume you put the smackdown on their well-equppied armed forces.
    Assume you manage to achieve a quisling state, with mixed popular support.
    Assume you learn the lessons from Iraq, and keep the army on the payroll.
    Assume you have a situation quite like the present, only USA runs the show.

You still have MEND.

The Nigerian militia movement, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta or
    MEND is viewed by military analysts as one of the most sophisticated open-source guerrilla movements in the world, with swarm based attacks, and decentralised leadership. Nigerian oil export has been hit hard enough by them that John Robb termed their capacity for system disruption a Shadow Opec.

And this is in conditions where the oil majors enjoy the (somewhat) wholehearted support of the state apparatus. Invade Nigeria? Won't increase flow rate, thats for sure...

(Of course, in some opinions, a stable country and reliable flow rate isn't even the object of the game. Political instability, supply denial and the ability to game the oil markets is.)

Anyway, if you are going for a African country with oil, wouldnt Sudan/Chad be better? Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

umm
    have you been paying attention to mccain at all? that's exactly what he's proposing.

He said he wants to invade Nigeria. Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Well, he is kinda old. And angry.
    But his 'Bomb Iran' song was very catchy...

Advertisement