Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a cyclists wave??

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow cyclists. To keep this short and sweet is there a cyclists wave?? Kinda like a truckers wave where you kinda twist your hand. Reason being i'm a nice guy and i want to acknowledge my fellow cyclists on the road. We do after all keep our carbon count down so we should grace each other with a wave.

Your friend

Dun Laoire

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I usually just lift my fingers off right brake hood, giving the flat hand wave. If too tired to even manage that then a little nod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Kinda like a truckers wave where you kinda twist your hand.

I would've called that the farmers wave. I've been trying to co-opt it for cycling for a while now. Add a full head-turning wink and shout "HOWSA GOIN BOSS, MIGHTY! WOAH-HOOOOO"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

copacetic wrote: »
    I usually just lift my fingers off right brake hood, giving the flat hand wave. If too tired to even manage that then a little nod

Cool. Anybody brave enough to try a high five??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

Depends on where you're from....

lololololololo3hu_000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

When you're out riding you tend to get all kinds of waves from cyclists. However, the most common one among "serious" cyclists (i.e. roadies on training runs etc.) is to raise your right elbow about shoulder height and place your index finger above your upper lip, then smack your elbow with the open palm of your left hand. It can be a tricky manoeuvre but it's the one favoured by the pros.

• Advertisement

Morgan wrote: »
    When you're out riding you tend to get all kinds of waves from cyclists. However, the most common one among "serious" cyclists (i.e. roadies on training runs etc.) is to raise your right elbow about shoulder height and place your index finger above your upper lip, then smack your elbow with the open palm of your left hand. It can be a tricky manoeuvre but it's the one favoured by the pros.

Yeah i'm new enough to cycling. Like arse does be in a jock after cycling stage. God why do saddles have to be so hard. Anyway back to your point, that sounds neat!

Snapper1 wrote: »

I'm not from Liberty city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Also, which hardened gang requires mandatory white socks with open sandals?

Shades of Bill Hicks' hooligans sketch... youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

I always give a wave, and nearly always get one back, but I was out on a spin with the girlfriend a few weeks ago, I was in the full cycling gear, while she was more casually dressed, (traksuit bottoms, etc.), anyway we met a fellow roadie, we both waved, but he only acknowledged me in return.
    She was soooooo disgusted:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I like to shout "Pedal Power"...sometimes with the closed fist salute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

beans wrote: »
    Also, which hardened gang requires mandatory white socks with open sandals?
    Japanese ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Hmm... 'Da Squarez' comes to mind :)

It's always nice to get a little nod or a wave from passing cyclists - I tend to tip my helmet, or just give a little salute.

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Cool. Anybody brave enough to try a high five??
    Some kids in one of the towns on the W200 gave this a go- I only managed to make contact with one of them though ;-)

Snapper1 wrote: »

O.k i cycled home and threw out a few HOLLAS!! That victory one didnt go down to well though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Harpz wrote: »
    I like to shout "Pedal Power"

That's what I shout when I'm going for a monster sprint of a climb. Either that or "THUNDERCATS ARE GO!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I generally give a nod of the head to any cyclists I see on my travels, but I reserve my most enthusiastic 'we're not worthy' type acknowledgements for when I see a Guinness Quality Control Team van on the road....kings amongst men them lads.

Tough job, someone's gotta do it.

actually know a guy who did that for a while in germany, said it was fun for a week or so and after that it was a living hell.

actually know a guy who did that for a while in germany, said it was fun for a week or so and after that it was a living hell.
    Yeah, someone's gotta drive the van..

blorg wrote: »
    Yeah, someone's gotta drive the van..

one man show, driving and doing all work,think it was 5 stops a day, no-one wants to see you as you could stop their supply and all you do was sip a tiny bit in empty pubs in middle of day then drive on to the next one. When you have done your area you start back at the beginning again.

• Advertisement

one man show, driving and doing all work,think it was 5 stops a day, no-one wants to see you as you could stop their supply and all you do was sip a tiny bit in empty pubs in middle of day then drive on to the next one. When you have done your area you start back at the beginning again.
    :eek: Sounds like it would drive a man to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey, I hold those guys directly responsible for the massive and noticeable improvement in the consistently higher quality of Guinness around these parts over the past 5 years. Therefore, I have notions of these men not being mere mortals but larger than life figures of living heroism and just when I had planned to sell up, leave the girlfriend, and head off on a life of devotion to the pursuit of taking the nirvana of the perfect pint to ever higher levels ya just have to go and ruin it for me with stories of just how mundane an occupation it actually is in reality....you've just told a 27 year old Santa isn't real :D

Advertisement