Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine overheating

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Not a reg motors poster, just a quick opinion appreciated...
    Fiat Punto ELX 01, no major probs with it so far, but today on the way into work the red light on temp gauge came on when stopped in traffic... needle went down to half way when I took off again (I'm guessing this is cause outside air circulated and cooled engine down)... I know I need to get it looked at but other than telling me to replace my crap Italian heep of sh1t, I just want to know how long have I got, and will I get it to the mechanics without it blowing up? :D
    (Oh there's no leak btw. so not sure what is causing it, fan seems to be working)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

A lot of fiat owners and mechanics change the wiring on the fan to constant, this means once the car is started the fan is constantly working so reducing the risk of overheating...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Great tip, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fiat Punto overheating = Head Gasket. 90% of the time.

Oh God... really!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Chuchu wrote: »
    Oh God... really!? :eek:
    Check for bubbles rising in the expansion bottle when the engine is ticking overr also if there is any milky grey sludge on the dip stick are usually good tell tail signs of a blown head gasket. A good mechanic could tell you in a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1.2 8 valve?

Your head gaskets going...

Crap... will have a nose around after work but will it get me home and/or to mechanic? c10 miles? Cheers for all feedback.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

At least it didnt go on fire on the headford road roundabout in Galway during rush hour traffic today!

You're kidding!! Well there is a connection... my folks are both from Headford!! I'm in DUblin however... Lets hope thats where the connection with that post ends... so your Punto really blew up??? Was the red light showing!? I'm not looking to driving home.:eek:

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oh i should be clearer. Twasnt my car, and twasnt a punto.

[/connection with that post]

• Advertisement

But it can happen!!! :D Yieks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Family member had a similar problem with a Punto - replacing the thermostat cured it.

Advertisement