Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Deignan

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:31pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else watching the Tour de Suisse? Philip Deignan is going great guns at the moment. Finished with Cunego's group on Wednesday's hard stage and then yesterday was in the break all day and figured in all of the attacks at the end until he was caught 4km from the finish by the leading contenders. It's nice to see doing well after all the trouble he had with injury.

Apparently Nicolas Roche was also meant to ride the Tour de Suisse, but had to pull out due to illness, which I think spoils his chance of Tour de France selection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

el tonto wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the Tour de Suisse? Philip Deignan is going great guns at the moment. Finished with Cunego's group on Wednesday's hard stage and then yesterday was in the break all day and figured in all of the attacks at the end until he was caught 4km from the finish by the leading contenders. It's nice to see doing well after all the trouble he had with injury.

Apparently Nicolas Roche was also meant to ride the Tour de Suisse, but had to pull out due to illness, which I think spoils his chance of Tour de France selection.

How or where are u watching the Tour de Suisse ? Tis not on eurosport ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cycling.tv

Great stage today. Was a flat one, which you'd expect to end in a bunch sprint, but Cancellara took a flyer off the front 5km out and won. You'd swear he was on a motorbike the way he was riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was pointing Deignan out to someone today in the paper. I was saying how up in the tour of donegal, he a second year junior afaik, where he went for it up one climb, mark cassidy hung on to his wheel and I burst gut to stay in thrid.

Over the top looked at something other than Cassidy back wheel for the first time in 5 minutes and the time we had put into the bunch was only crazy. Glad to see him at it

Cycling.tv

Great stage today. Was a flat one, which you'd expect to end in a bunch sprint, but Cancellara took a flyer off the front 5km out and won. You'd swear he was on a motorbike the way he was riding.

That Cancellara lad the power and speed of him when he does one of them flyers is unbelieveable, some of that power would come in handy for the sunday morning spins, just a little bit even !!

Do u not have to pay to watch Cycling.tv ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Zorba wrote: »
    Do u not have to pay to watch Cycling.tv ?

You do. £27 sterling annually.

• Advertisement

You do. £27 sterling annually.

Jasus that's bugger all, do u get to see all the big races for that ?

Might sign up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Great to see Deignan doing so well. I hope he stays healthy!

No Irish in the Tour this year. Alas.

The next Irish cycling hero: Dan Martin. No doubt about it.

Have a look: http://www.slipstreamsports.com/

The kid is a phenomenon.

Not sure why the Irish press is missing this...like they did Kelly all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The mainstream press has very little interest in cycling- they'll take an interest when he wins a grand tour, or at least a classic ;-) Then everyone will be cycling nuts for a year, there will be kids out on the road on their 10 speeds (actually maybe just on the cycle path and accompanied by mum and dad these days, as we all know how dangerous cycling is.) Then it will all go back to normal and cycling will never be mentioned again.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    The next Irish cycling hero: Dan Martin. No doubt about it.

He's currently leading the Route du Sud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

anyone surprised at the olympic selection ? I thought Ciaran Power was in with a strong shout, I've not heard much of what Martin has been up to this year, but if he's putting in results like this, surely he was a contender as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Martin and Mccann are both reserves for the Olympics (Dunno if that means they will travel or not). Power was shafted in my humble and slightly biased opinion. To not even make the reserves ? He should have been in ahead of McCann at the very least (though McCann is a great rider also).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Martin and Mccann are both reserves for the Olympics (Dunno if that means they will travel or not). Power was shafted in my humble and slightly biased opinion. To not even make the reserves ? He should have been in ahead of McCann at the very least (though McCann is a great rider also).

Looks like Martin has won the Route Du Sud, I thought Ciarán had a very very good season, and even thou they are saying Roche and Deignan have ProTour Experience I don't think they have the Olympic experience of Ciarán.

Strange one indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Power has had a great season this year.

But come on: he's already been to the Olympics twice now. Time for the next crop to ascend to that level.

Power races against some very strong European and US competition. But not ProTour. ProTour counts for so much more.

I don't understand the McCann selection either. It's been two years since he's had really good form.

Dan Martin may be the next big thing, but he's still very young. Next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Power does race against ProTour opposition and has done so in several races this year, scoring top 10's in the process. But you are right of course Deignan and Roche are on Pro-Tour teams so they always had that advantage. Both are decent on the hills, that being said I'd bet on Power ahead of either of them when it comes down to a sprint.

Good luck to them all anyway, looks like Martin may actually live up to his billing after yesterdays showing.

Advertisement