Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 toll tags

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone looked at the eflow.ie website about the new M50 tolls comming in, in August. Looks like people will be fleeced. I think there is a rental charge on the tags too.

My question is when it opens can you still pay by cash at the plaza. I would only use the M50 4 times a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Am not sure if you can you cash, I think you have to use TOP UPs in Shops like Phone Credit.

Two euro to use the toll is crazy money in my opinion.

On a reach trip to Bray from Monaghan I went through the city and found it to be quicker than using the M50.

GF uses the M1 toll everyday and they charge her 1e a month for admin costs for her tag. 3.60e a day by five days is 18e a week to use the road.

Crazy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jonnyj wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone looked at the eflow.ie website about the new M50 tolls comming in, in August. Looks like people will be fleeced. I think there is a rental charge on the tags too.

My question is when it opens can you still pay by cash at the plaza. I would only use the M50 4 times a month.

There will be no plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The plaza is going to be removed, it won't be possible to pay cash at all.

If you've no tag or you don't register, you'll receive a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

If you do not register, your vehicle number plate will be recorded. The trip must be paid for before 8pm the following day or you will receive a notice in the post. This notice will ask you to pay your bill plus a €3 default toll.
    All payments can be made online, over the phone, using our dedicated customer Lo-Call number or at Payzone outlets nationwide.
    Payment facilities will be available on this website once the scheme goes live in August 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

It such a flakey site....
    Tag account means an account maintained with eFlow where a tag will be issued to the customer for installation in the customer's vehicle to enable payment of the toll. Please note that tag account customers will pay the cheapest toll charge.
    Video account means an account maintained with eFlow where the tolling system reads the customer's vehicle registration plate to enable payment of the toll.

How much extra will the toll be for a video account? If I get a a tag ("the cheapest toll charge"), I'll be paying €12 extra a year to Mr. Toll Bridge for the joy of renting a tag!

Rip off Ireland at it's best :mad:

• Advertisement

Video account is 50c a go more expensive.

You can get the tag off a rake of operators including some that don't even own tollroads if you so wish, varying prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Pardon my ignorence on this one. I've signed up for a tag there earlier this week, it seemed the easiest and cheapest method. are you only charged the €2 if you go over the bridge similar to the way it is now or do you get charged for all M50 trips regardless.

Only between the M3 and M4 junctions, just like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

If you can't pay cash, how do they get the address to send the bill to if its a non Irish reg?

They don't.

Moral of the story: Drive a foreign car and you can use the M50 toll bridge for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was on the M50 today and the queue at the Plaza northbound at lunchtime was appaling. I think I drove the last mile to the toll plaza in 1st or 2nd gear. All I could think was how I couldn't wait until the plaza and the barriers were gone. Although that got me thinking as to how they are going to remove the entire plaza without screwing up the traffic while the work is done.

I can still remember some guy from the NRA or some organisation like that on the news about 2 years ago saying "Removing the toll plaza would not speed up the traffic". Maybe I'm missing something but how can removing the toll plaza and removing the need for everyone to come to a complete stop, NOT speed up the traffic?

I can still remember some guy from the NRA or some organisation like that on the news about 2 years ago saying "Removing the toll plaza would not speed up the traffic". Maybe I'm missing something but how can removing the toll plaza and removing the need for everyone to come to a complete stop, NOT speed up the traffic?
    That would have been the NTR - the company that owned and ran the toll bridge.

They of course at every step claimed that the toll bridge was not a cause of delays.

They would say that of course, making millions in profit each year from the M50 toll for very little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Pardon my ignorence on this one. I've signed up for a tag there earlier this week, it seemed the easiest and cheapest method. are you only charged the €2 if you go over the bridge similar to the way it is now or do you get charged for all M50 trips regardless.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Only between the M3 and M4 junctions, just like now.

But if we have a tag, we'll be essentially paying more than that because of the €1 charge to use it each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭brick tamland

flanzer wrote: »
    But if we have a tag, we'll be essentially paying more than that because of the €1 charge to use it each month?

But if you dont have a tag the charge is either 2.50 - 3.00 depending on if you registered the car. unless of course its a foreign car.

flanzer wrote: »
    Yep. You just need to weigh up your usage against it.

If you use the bridge about 4 times a year (like me - two trips or so to the airport), then a tag will cost you €12 + €8 = €20.
    No tag will cost you €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I

Because the build up at the toll bridge filters the traffic so that its not arriveing at the junctions as quick. As it is with non free flow junctions the traffic would back up 5 or 6 times worse at every junction instead of just one spot where its currently filtered. Removign the toll plaza without making the junctions free flow wont help anything. Which is why the junctions are being made free flow as well as the plaza being removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I shrugged and went to sign up for the tag just now - "it's free!" and discovered they want €30 in advance against future payments, plus €1 a month for the privilege of letting them charge me automatically.

How did the government agree to this? What exactly are all these €1 payments paying *for*? After all, they're getting their toll, and the tag, once set up, certainly doesn't cost them €12 per year per person to administer.

I use the M50 about once a month, no, twice, once each way when I go to the airport.

Does the tag also apply to other toll roads, or only to the M50, by the way?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement