Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the race card ?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Watching on Sky News about Naomi Campbell calling a British Airways pilot "a racist" before assaulting police in a bust-up at Heathrow Airport's Terminal Five. She stated ( or screamed might be more appropriate in this case that the Captain "You are a racist, you wouldn't be doing this if I was white." Now there is doubtless much racism in Western society, but surely those who try and play the race card could be said to be indulging in a form of racism themselves and undermine the real victims of rascism in society?? They are undoubtably a minority, but I myself have had the race card tried on me by a drunken South African black man and his also drunken buddy, ( he was lucky he didn't loose his job over it ) a few years ago.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine who is a janitor of a block of flats was also accused of being a racist by another African man and threatened to report him to the tennant's rights association because the janitor had lost it with him because he was fed up of recieving compliants from the other people in the complex of this d!ckhead and his wife and friends when they come around parking in other people's allocated car park space - serious. My mate the janitor was doing it by the book and warned him that legal action would come about if he insisted in breaking the rules, and then the race card was played ;) ( He isn't in the slightest worried, anyone could see it;s bollox.)

What's your opinions folks. As I said, those who play the race card undermine the real victims of rascism in society. It could be said to be indulging in a form of racism themselves, and if so, surely their should be a legal form of punishment for those playing the race card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't think playing the race card is a type or racism. I do think it is as bad as racism however, but its really its own thing.

I also agree that people who play the race card, adversely effect those who suffer from real racism.

People are biased against *****, that's Naomi Campbell's problem. Playing the race card isn't racism but does belittle the victims of actual racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

McArmalite wrote: »
    What's your opinions folks.
    I considered measured opinion is that Naomi Campbell is the walking definition of "b*tches be crazy"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Naomi Campbell is without doubt, the female equivalent of a 'knob end'. An attention seeking twat, who probably couldn't 'spell' the word 'racist' if she tried. Everything she says and does should just be completely ignored, because that would REALLY get her back up.

I mean, just spell 'Naomi' backwards and see what you get.....
    As I said, those who play the race card undermine the real victims of rascism in society.

Yeah I'd agree with that.
    It could be said to be indulging in a form of racism themselves, and if so, surely their should be a legal form of punishment for those playing the race card ?

It's a nice theory, but I cant see how it could be workable. The best way I think, is by proving there was no racial motivation, and counter claiming for defamation/damages in court. After all, it must be a nasty experience being labelled a racist, and if you could prove it has affected how you're percieved in the mind of right thinking people, or maybe damaged your employment prospects, or caused damage to your business, etc. then you might be in with a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It happened to my father once, when he chose a white guy over an Asian for a promotion. The Indian guy later apologised and pointed out that when people are hurt, or angry they often say things in the heat of the moment which they do not mean. I would suggest that this Naomi Campbell case is similar.

Yeah it's wrong but I cam understand why it happens, to admit we are **** at something or in the wrong is difficult so the easway to deal with it is find an excuse, like a person's colour for example.

Still, the amount of times the OP uses the "Poor Oppressed Irish" card, I'm not sure why he thinks he is in a position to criticise.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I had that said to me once in work. I politely told a man from the Carribbean (St Vincent's) in his mid-50s to stop p*ssing in the corner in the area in which we worked as he was urinating on tools which I would later have to use. His response was to go ballistic, start throwing things around and accuse me of looking down on him. He then started loudly declaring to two Ghanains who were present how people were still trying to "keep the black man down" and that I was acting the "big man because of my bloodclaht white skin." Of course the two Africans having a bit of sense laughed at him and generally found the whole escapade hilarious. I carried on with my work and ignored your man's tantrum.

However, the more I reflected on this episode throughout the day the more p*ssed off I became. I have a few black friends, and one of my best buddies is a Jamaican man. When people start making out and out racist arguments and statements in work I am one of the few people who always tries to challenge it. I even ended up in a scrap with a Romanian in work who called my buddy from Jamaica a "f*cking monkey". In other words I am not at all racist; I have always hated racism, homophobia and general bullying. That's a very important part of who I am.

To have that then dismissed by some clown who feels it his right to call you a racist because you challenged their unacceptable behaviour is irritating to say the least. Calling someone a racist is a very, very serious accusation; it is not something to throw around willy nilly but unfortunately there are some people who do. Mainly because they know full well the impact of such a statement, and that it often makes people afraid to continue to challenge them when they are acting the pr*ck. Taking such a course of action is simply the height of cowardice and immaturity.

People whould be able to talk to other as human beings, without one party dragging race into the argument needlessly; that is always unacceptable no matter which side it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Still, the amount of times the OP uses the "Poor Oppressed Irish" card, I'm not sure why he thinks he is in a position to criticise.:D
    I'm pretty sure if he went ape**** on a member of airline/airport staff and used the 800 years of oppression we would have heard about it by now.
    I don't see how you're making the connection there other than to deliberately annoy the OP.
    Back on topic, I think campbell is a total twat, and as previously stated by other posters here, she's harming people with genuine claims of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Now there is doubtless much racism in Western society, but surely those who try and play the race card could be said to be indulging in a form of racism themselves and undermine the real victims of rascism in society??
    ?

You have hit the nail on the head.

tallus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if he went ape**** on a member of airline/airport staff and used the 800 years of oppression we would have heard about it by now.
    I don't see how you're making the connection there other than to deliberately annoy the OP.
    forgive me if i don't care too much for the op's feelings, he has admitted several times to intentionally winding people up. Every time you disagree with this particular poster you get called anti Irish, A west brit, a unionist or a bigot. Is that different to the topic of this thread them-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FTA69 wrote: »
    I had that said to me once in work. I politely told a man from the Carribbean (St Vincent's) in his mid-50s to stop p*ssing in the corner in the area in which we worked as he was urinating on tools which I would later have to use. His response was to go ballistic, start throwing things around and accuse me of looking down on him. He then started loudly declaring to two Ghanains who were present how people were still trying to "keep the black man down" and that I was acting the "big man because of my bloodclaht white skin." Of course the two Africans having a bit of sense laughed at him and generally found the whole escapade hilarious. I carried on with my work and ignored your man's tantrum.

However, the more I reflected on this episode throughout the day the more p*ssed off I became. I have a few black friends, and one of my best buddies is a Jamaican man. When people start making out and out racist arguments and statements in work I am one of the few people who always tries to challenge it. I even ended up in a scrap with a Romanian in work who called my buddy from Jamaica a "f*cking monkey". In other words I am not at all racist; I have always hated racism, homophobia and general bullying. That's a very important part of who I am.

To have that then dismissed by some clown who feels it his right to call you a racist because you challenged their unacceptable behaviour is irritating to say the least. Calling someone a racist is a very, very serious accusation; it is not something to throw around willy nilly but unfortunately there are some people who do. Mainly because they know full well the impact of such a statement, and that it often makes people afraid to continue to challenge them when they are acting the pr*ck. Taking such a course of action is simply the height of cowardice and immaturity.

People whould be able to talk to other as human beings, without one party dragging race into the argument needlessly; that is always unacceptable no matter which side it comes from.

Top post, agree with you 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

tallus wrote: »
    Back on topic, I think campbell is a total twat, and as previously stated by other posters here, she's harming people with genuine claims of racism.
    Fred's just got the hump yet again over what I said over on the History forum about his beloved britian, sad :)

Fred's just got the hump yet again over what I said over on the History forum about his beloved britian, sad :)
    oh I'm well used to the chip on your shoulder, but take a look at your posts in the commonwealth thread, you seen to think every one who doesn't agree with you is out to get you because of your political views. Is that so different to crying racism at every turn?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Any chance we could, y'know, not get personal on this thread?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Any chance we could, y'know, not get personal on this thread?

Bah, if I was Irish you wouldn't say that ;):D

No problem :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I saw the interview, and it was claimed that a BA crewmember referred to Cambell as a "gollywog model" If this term was indeed used, then a racist incident did occur.

During the same interview, she lauded the police and apologised for her behaviour and the accusation of racism was levelled at BA.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

McArmalite is banned for a week.

For future reference: anyone taking the opportunity to drag grudges from other forums in here will be banned for a lot longer than a week. That means anyone.

Advertisement