Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical firearms

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭

Close guys... 20 GA/22 mag.:)
    Would like a genuine Drilling 12 GA SXS / 9.3x 75 R,prefably with 3rd Reich Luftwaffe markings and compleate case,if it isnt asking too much..:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Close guys... 20 GA/22 mag.:)
    Would like a genuine Drilling 12 GA SXS / 9.3x 75 R,prefably with 3rd Reich Luftwaffe markings and compleate case,if it isnt asking too much..:D

Are you after Hermann Goerings deer gun ? It definitely won't have done too much rough shooting that's for sure.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Are you after Hermann Goerings deer gun ? It definitely won't have done too much rough shooting that's for sure.. :D

Nope MS. Just one that was issued to Luftwaffe bomber crews who had long over flights over inhospitable terrain.They were the first "survival guns" ever made.Trouble was;they were expensive[made by Sauer ]Ate up alot of war supplies,heavy, and then as the Luftwaffe fell out of favour and as a fighting force was denuded.They were issued to Volks sturm units [German home gaurd] as emergency weapons. They also became favorite US GI war souviners to pick up .
    Hence they sell for stupid money in the States somthing like in good condition with case ammo,and accessories around 10/12 K USD ,for a cheapo.
    I have seen them in the UK,ruined,by being bored out in the rifle barrel for .410[thussly saving the owner a UK FAC,and keeping them on a shotgun cert] or sleeved for a 22lr,for up to 1k STG.
    I do belive that there might be,possibly one or two here in Ireland that survived some of the Luftwaffe bomber crash landers here in Ireland from the last war.Paticullary the big FW 2000 Condor long range bombers,as they would have had such kit possibly aboard.if anyone knows anything about these guns,or has one.I would really love to talk to them.
    Pic included
    Now for those who REALLY want somthing special..I give you this link

www.superfastcash.com/drilling.htm

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

The rifle ammo deffo isn't German :)

Nope,but what did the Germans take over in Belguim in 1940????
    The FN plants in Leige perhaps??:D
    The Wehrmacht used the Browning HP 9mm pistol as well,and those with the reich eagle proof marks are worth their few bobs more in any condition,than a std Hi power any day.So to have FN ammo as well in that box would increase it's value as well.Dunno if I would want to fire it mind.Could have been sabbed by some resistance minded Belgian all those years ago.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nope,but what did the Germans take over in Belguim in 1940????
    The FN plants in Leige perhaps??:D
    The Wehrmacht used the Browning HP 9mm pistol as well,and those with the reich eagle proof marks are worth their few bobs more in any condition,than a std Hi power any day.So to have FN ammo as well in that box would increase it's value as well.Dunno if I would want to fire it mind.Could have been sabbed by some resistance minded Belgian all those years ago.

Liege was one of the first Belgian cities to be captured in May 1940 after a succesfull airbourne assault on Eben-Emaal ( fortifications on the Meuse ) and was it Mr Von Rundstedt first little sortie through the Ardennes ?
    As for the quality of the ammo, if it's made to the same standard as the rest of the place was working to under Mr Saive it'll probably be fine.
    As for the resistance, they were probably to busy evacuating a couple of thousand breweries to England and later on digging uranium for Uncle Sam in Katanga.

Anyway, it's some quality piece of kit for just a survival tool. You'd honestly expect something the likes of a broomhandle Mauser pistol or a folding stock MP40 for that purpose.

• Advertisement

As for the quality of the ammo, if it's made to the same standard as the rest of the place was working to under Mr Saive it'll probably be fine.
    As for the resistance, they were probably to busy evacuating a couple of thousand breweries to England and later on digging uranium for Uncle Sam in Katanga.

Hmm,well going by quite a few German officers who suddenly found their pistols going CLICK or BOOM rather than Bang in very critical situations.And by how many Belgian arms workers were dangling on mobile gibbitts over the period of Adolf taking up residence there.Iwould be inclined to give it a miss anyhow.;)

Anyway, it's some quality piece of kit for just a survival tool. You'd honestly expect something the likes of a broomhandle Mauser pistol or a folding stock MP40 for that purpose.
    Well, thats what happens when you have a Air force Marshal who was also the Reich master of the Hunt and most of his top fighter aces were also exellent hunters.Ol Hermann wanted the best for his boys.Plus it is the trad German hunting gun,so it was obvious somthing good was going to be used.Not to mind expecting the war would be over by Summer 1942 more or less,it was no problem to make nice guns.Hell BMW was still building sports cars in Germany up to 1942 and selling them to the German public!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

Hell BMW was still building sports cars in Germany up to 1942 and selling them to the German public!! Quote= [Grizzly45]

Heck, good old USA allowed Henry Ford, Dodge, Mobile oil to supply the German war machine ( chassis only after the the US entered the war) to sister companies in Germany. Adolf was a big Henry Ford fan even had him decorated for services rendered along with many other US industrialists. Without Mobiles specialized geer box oil (synthetic) Adolf's Tanks would not have rolled or at the very least not as far as Germany could only manufacture 50% of the required total amount needed. Wheels of Industry still have to make a buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay lads, interesting enough, but more suited to the Military or History forums at this stage maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Hell BMW was still building sports cars in Germany up to 1942 and selling them to the German public!! Quote= [Grizzly45]

Heck, good old USA allowed Henry Ford, Dodge, Mobile oil to supply the German war machine ( chassis only after the the US entered the war) to sister companies in Germany. Adolf was a big Henry Ford fan even had him decorated for services rendered along with many other US industrialists. Without Mobiles specialized geer box oil (synthetic) Adolf's Tanks would not have rolled or at the very least not as far as Germany could only manufacture 50% of the required total amount needed. Wheels of Industry still have to make a buck.

So Milo Minderbender wasn't so fictional after all??

Sparks wrote: »
    Okay lads, interesting enough, but more suited to the Military or History forums at this stage maybe?

Maybe a little historical firearms thread in the shooting forum and let it meander away ?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Maybe a little historical firearms thread in the shooting forum and let it meander away ?

Sure, for the firearms bit. But the vehicles?

Besides, Collectibles&Antiques has a Militaria subforum that sounds right up the alley of this thread to be honest.

And these posts have nothing to do with the OP anyway, so I'll split this lot out for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

ok i'll stick this thread back on tank (sh1t i mean track) and i dont mean the track of a tank i mean, on topic

Historical Firearms
    What sort of firearms are historical in relation to Irish history and TBH i'd mainly be interested in rifles rather than pistols.
    I often thought that the 303 (british) was the weapon of the 1921 rising and that whole era TBH.

Is there any reinactment groups in Ireland who still shoot 303 for demonistration purposes only. I'd love to see them..

I wasn't realy thinking about Lee Enfields and stuff but more down the lines of Rigby, Purdey, Anson&Deeley, Greener, H&H, Boss, Churchill, Browning, Saive, Lebeau-Coraly etc,etc,....the stuff dreams are made off:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Is there any reinactment groups in Ireland who still shoot 303 for demonistration purposes only. I'd love to see them..

Ivan,

Never mind the reinactors, come on down to the MNSCI and see the guys shooting their .303 Lee Enfields & 6.5 Mausers with live ammo.

Every year the Midlands hold a Classic Rifle shoot and most of the guys dress up in period dress to suit the rifle etc, great fun..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

ok i'll stick this thread back on tank (sh1t i mean track) and i dont mean the track of a tank i mean, on topic

Historical Firearms
    What sort of firearms are historical in relation to Irish history and TBH i'd mainly be interested in rifles rather than pistols.
    I often thought that the 303 (british) was the weapon of the 1921 rising and that whole era TBH.

1857.jpg

Ivan is this what your looking for or is it form the wrong side? http://www.adamsguns.com/0r.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

1857.jpg

Ivan is this what your looking for or is it form the wrong side? http://www.adamsguns.com/0r.htm

There is only one wrong side to be on when it comes to the 303 to be honest :D

Is the 303 British still in active use in any modern civilian rifles nowadays?

About 20 years ago I actual found about a dozen spent cartridges on top of a local hill, i found them at the base of 4foot high natural occurring granite pedestal that obviously made a great bench rest as it commanded great views over the
    surrounding land. Its funny that back then when i found them, i knew very little about guns but i had no hesitation in identifying them as 303 rounds..

There was IRA and Black'n'tan activity on that very same hill back in those days and i cant help wonder who fired them and when..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Most of them use enfields bored out to take .410 blanks, means they have to reload after every shot though.

Would imagine getting a license for a rifled .303 for reenacting would be difficult.
    Then you have the expense of buying blanks which I would imagine can't be reloaded as a lump of brass from the crimp might become a projectile on the next use.

Advertisement