Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a car + new company

Options
  • 20-06-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I am looking for someone to answer this question for me. I am thinking of changing my car and have just started my own business.

I am thinking of changing to a second hand jeep, circa 65k, desiel, not a commerical jeep.

do you guys have any advice as to how i should structure it. I will be probably doing circa 15k km per year for business.

am i better to stick with the usual mileage setup or is there something i am not thinking of ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Your better off claiming milage than buying it tru d company and paying BIK. Unless of course your buying a 2-seater commercial jeep in which case the BIK is only 110 per month or thereabouts. Why do u want a jeep anyway? terrible for the environment and fellow road users and costly to run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thecola

PRman wrote: »
    Why do u want a jeep anyway? terrible for the environment and fellow road users and costly to run...

This cant be true... It's all lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

PRman wrote: »
    Why do u want a jeep anyway? terrible for the environment and fellow road users and costly to run...

Are you Ray D'arcy??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

Crowej,
    Why not do what was, and is still, fairly inexplicably popular here the north? Go and lease the biggest, daftest, thirstiest most uninsurable motor you can find - peg all the costs against the business, then trade up when you can least afford it then sit back and wait for the bailiffs!
    On a serious note, PRmans suggestion is on the right track. While the business is in its early stages it paying you mileage is probably the best option. Also helps to keep some line between company and private posessions/assets. Whatever you do decide on ask your accountant first - relatively cheap advice that could save you a fortune in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, the treatment of the purchase of a car is different for an employee in a company, and a sole trader. I would agree with the suggestion of getting advice from an accountant

• Advertisement
Advertisement