Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier service to China

Options
  • 20-06-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I need to send something by courier to China - but the likes of dhl et al are all looking for 75 euro to send a tiny credit card sized object of little or no weight. Is there anyone like http://www.interparcel.com/quote/courier-quote2.php in Ireland that will give you a cheaper service than the big boys? I had a look at this crowd but they don't seem to collect from ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Send it registered post with An Post. Cost you ~€26 with tracking and €350 insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Hi, i work in post office! A credit card cant go through courier. It can be registered but is not insurable as its replaceable. Also, registered can slow it down by a day but it is safer. If thats all your sending it would be 5.17 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

But to send it registered will take 4/5 weeks to get there. I sent a parcel (20cm*20cm) to that country recently that took this ridiculous amount of time.

why can't a credit card go by courier? Will it be spotted by anyone anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

38141 wrote: »
    But to send it registered will take 4/5 weeks to get there. I sent a parcel (20cm*20cm) to that country recently that took this ridiculous amount of time.

why can't a credit card go by courier? Will it be spotted by anyone anyway?

You must have sent it surface, air mail only takes a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hi, i work in post office! A credit card cant go through courier.
    I need to send something by courier to China - but the likes of dhl et al are all looking for 75 euro to send a tiny credit card sized object of little or no weight.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Theres been no surface mail since 2001. All airmail now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

An Post have a new service now called Courier Post; which would deliver your object to China in 4 days according to this for €26 in an A4 sized envelope. You can calculate the exact postal rate on their postage calculator.

I haven't used the service myself but it seems a step in the right direction from An post, if you do use it post back here with how you got on please as I'd like to know whether or not "Courier Post" does what it says on the tin.

Most private couriers are a total rip-off and I avoid them if at all possible, an post at the end of the day are cheaper and if you pay a little more (yet loads less than the private couriers still) you general get a good enough service.

Corkgal, so what's the deal with credit cards in An Post Courier Post?

So there is nobody like interparcel above in ireland?

Corkgal, so what's the deal with credit cards in An Post Courier Post?

Credit cards, cheques, cash, bank drafts, bank cards, bonds, saving certificates, passports, jewellery, art (but what counts as art is debatable! - long story)...theres loads more but these are the main things...none of these can go through courier post. We do customs jobs for them when we send something via courier (which, p.s. is not new, although theres a new international express service) to save time when its entering another country, sometimes an item of post will stop at several places on its way to destination and could be inspected by customs several times. Dont ask me why passports arent allowed cos I dont know! All I know is we get a telling off if we let them through and theyre spotted in random checks! Some places, for example Australia & USA, scan EVERY item of post on its entry into the country.

• Advertisement

I'm sure plenty of these kinds of things have been sent before though. Are you talking about regular/registered post or courier'd post?

But if these things are sent by private courier there is no hassle, right?

Oh yeah, that just applies to courier post. I couldnt say for private companies but I presume they have to abide by the same international laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Any credit card company will have a temporary replacement card out to you within 48 hours almost anywhere in the world.

Found this out when i was in the Czech Republic, they had it there next day, reported it on Sunday, new card at reception via DHL Priority Packet the next morning in the Hotel i was staying.

Came from VISA Card services in Munich, AFAIK they send it from the closest issuing center to you.

There is also no cost for this service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So there is nobody like interparcel above in ireland?

I don't believe so. The cheapest is to just use registered post. The previous one you had a problem with should not be the norm, it should only take about a week to get to China from here, even standard airmail only takes about that long. Unless there's an issue with incoming customs in the receiving country of course, in which case there could be delays. This can happen with any carrier though.

craichoe wrote: »
    Any credit card company will have a temporary replacement card out to you within 48 hours almost anywhere in the world.

Reporting a lost/stolen card to AIB will entail a wait of 5 working days before they even post it to you. They will only send it to your AIB address, and they will not post it out to you if you are abroad (NO EXCEPTIONS).

Craichoe, was that a credit card you had through a bank or directly through VISA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Reporting a lost/stolen card to AIB will entail a wait of 5 working days before they even post it to you. They will only send it to your AIB address, and they will not post it out to you if you are abroad (NO EXCEPTIONS).

Craichoe, was that a credit card you had through a bank or directly through VISA?

1. They don't post it, its via DHL
    2. It was with MBNA Europebank, although Bank of Ireland offer the same service, they were the ones that told me about it !
    3. Its an Emergency Temporary Replacement card.
    4. The card came from Visa Card Services in Munich.

Check it out with AIB and see.

Anywho i'm with ABN Amro now .... you think irish banks are bad .. lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I lost my credit card in Oz years ago and was able to pick up a temporary replacement card in a local bank a couple of days later. Lost one last week and had the replacement this morning, so they must have posted it Friady at the latest - that's under 5 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

DHL are the worst of the worst.

Have you tried Fed Ex??

Advertisement