Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a second hand bike

Options
  • 20-06-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm looking to buy a cheap second hand bike in Dublin. I have two old bikes that I could possibly use as a trade in. Do bike shops generally accept trade ins off the value of a purchase ?

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to cycle to the train station and local areas. Is there anything I should look for ? Is there a particular bike I should get ?

And lastly, could anyone give me a rough idea of a price range for basic second hand bikes.

Excuse my ignorance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Very doubtful that a shop would take 2 sh!t bikes in part-ex for 1 slightly less sh!t bike. If you only want the most basic then you would get away with paying no more than a ton. Have a look on adverts.ie, they crop up there regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

What sort of old bikes you got ? If they are somewhat decent, you might get some money off people here for them.

You won't have any luck trading them in. UCD Bikeshop is the only one I've heard of that does second hand bikes. As AndyP says, adverts.ie is a good place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just two old mountain bikes. They are in ok condition. Im surprised nowhere does a trade in to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I might be interested in one for a mate if it's fully rigid, no suspension and medium or above size.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Tusky wrote: »
    Just two old mountain bikes. They are in ok condition. Im surprised nowhere does a trade in to be honest!

Shops do trade-ins to make a new sale and wouldn't make much profit selling on the trade-in bike. The second hand bikes they do sell would be trade-ins so they would basically be turning themselves into swap shops if they offered trade-in on second hand bikes.

if the bikes are in good enough nick you should be able to sell them privately

• Advertisement
Advertisement