Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applies Maths. how was it for YOU?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Thought overall nice enough. Q1 was easy enough but messed part B up some how. Q3 was long but do able. Q4 not complaints about part A but Thought B was a monster. got lots of equations but couldnt solve, atleat most points go for the equations. Q5 very nice. Q8 didnt study much for this so just got A out. Q10 same old same old, units in tonnes through me a little first....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I needed an A1 and only prepared 5 questions so it was pretty much the disaster I deserved. :( Did okay, but didn't get the 100 points I need for any course I'm interested in.

Q1 - Oh sweet merciful Jesus, what a Q! :D

Q2 - Part (a) was grand. Part (b) was the same sort of thing that came up in the mock. Got 50/50 there but just didn't finish the trig here. Projectiles, I was counting on you! :eek: :(

Q5 - Nice question. :)

Q6 - Didn't prepare circular motion or SHM really. Wrote nothing for part (a). Part (b) was nice enough. I just did it with my physics knowledge of CM, I think my method was sound...? :confused:

Q8 - Great question. :)

Q10 - More awkward than usual... hate messy differential equations. :mad: It was nice enough though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Easy paper, did 8 Qs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

Nicest exam of the whole Leaving Cert, IMHO!!!

Q.1 - Oh my God, could we have asked for a nicer question. So simple I thought at first that I was missing something, and no sign of velocity/time graphs, thank God!

Q.3 - Nice enough, part a took me a while to work through, but part b was lovely.

Q.4 - Part a was sinch, took me all of 5 mins, part b was tough enough, but I think I got it out. Did anyone else get g x (square root of 3) over 19 as the acceleration?

Q.5 - Not quite sure if I got the second part of part a exactly right, but hopefully it's ok. Part b was lovely.

Q.8 - Omg, I actually nearly screamed with joy when I saw this question, torque is the only topic within Moments of Inertia that I really understand, and it saved me from having to do Q.2. A question though: was it just me or was the fact that v=1m/s totally superfluous? I didn't use it at all! I hope I didn't screw it up big time.

Q.10. Grand, even though I got some very big figure for P, I think it was like 3,200,000 kW! Anyone else get that? Got v=15, so hopefully that's right too.

Overall, great, I think I might have squeezed out an A1 on this one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did 8 too, but it wasn't as easy as 2007.
    Hm...
    Q1: Though this was grand! Nicest question on the paper maybe, or maybe because I did it first, I still had a soul while doing it.
    Q2: didn't go near
    Q3: I did this second.. my a part didn't work out. Queue panic. Nah it was grand, got it afterwards.
    Q4: Not too bad, but was the b part suspiciously easy? I didn't even need to find the relative acceleration of the masses..
    Q5: Grand! Bit o' trig.
    Q6: (a) was a big mess. Asking the speed after a TIME? How horrible. Displacement yes, time nasty. (b) I got done in half a page so I must have done something wrong.
    Q7: Eugguhguhguhg. Well part a was grand, part b took me three pages and I MIGHT have gotten the right answer. So many diagrams.
    Q8: (a) obviously fine. (b)... Now.. why did they give us the speed? I got an answer for acceleration without using speed... just did the ole L = I(angular acceleration) yoke... must have done something wrong.
    Q9: don't do it!
    Q10: (a) grand, part b... I kept getting negative answers, or answers <10 for the speed. Messsed around with it for long enough and got 14 though, which might be acceptable. Logs are so messy.

Anyway, it was better than my mock so with any luck I got at least a B3. Way to go from >90% in every summer/christmas test to... hoping for a B3. Ah well. So long as I get my first course choice, it doesn't matter.

Q.8 - Omg, I actually nearly screamed with joy when I saw this question, torque is the only topic within Moments of Inertia that I really understand, and it saved me from having to do Q.2. A question though: was it just me or was the fact that v=1m/s totally superfluous? I didn't use it at all! I hope I didn't screw it up big time.

Q.10. Grand, even though I got some very big figure for P, I think it was like 3,200,000 kW! Anyone else get that? Got v=15, so hopefully that's right too.

I didn't use the v = 1 m/s either. I don't think it was neccessary.

I got v = 15 too (well v = 14.99905999... or something). I think I got 3200 for P too.

What did everyone get for k in Q3? I was running out of time so just lashed down k = 2...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

its was grand,ya. What did ye all get? heres some of mine;

Q3. A; got it out, B; k=4
    Q5. A; (i) V_a=1-e , V_b=(1-e^2)/2 , V_c=(1+e)^2 /2 B; got it out
    Q6. A; (i) a=-100x (ii) v= 1.683 , a=10.81 B; W=(3g/2)^1/2 rad s^-1
    Q7. A; Tan(alpha)=7/4 B; (mu)=2/3
    Q8. A; proof B; (i) 5g/26 (ii) 62g/13 and 63g/13 (did any1 get anything like these? Im not sure how correct they are.)
    Q10. A; x=1 B; (i) P=3,200 (ii) v_1=15m s^-1

I hope theres a few matches out there now :P....

Bu besides that,were finished!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):D:D

As regards Q8. B and using the speed,the only way I was able to do it was to use the speed :P. I used it to find the displacement undergone as potential energy was changed to knetic energy, then I used that distance wit " v^2=u^2 = 2as " to get the "a".How did ye do it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I didn't use the v = 1 m/s either. I don't think it was neccessary.

I got v = 15 too (well v = 14.99905999... or something). I think I got 3200 for P too.

What did everyone get for k in Q3? I was running out of time so just lashed down k = 2...
    k = 4 I think was it
    Q1 - Very Nice
    Q3 - Lovely - Got a slight shock from part a
    Q4 - Nice
    Q5 - Part a was a bit sour but b was lovely
    Q7 - Made a complete mess here
    Q8 - Great Didn't use speed either
    Q9 - Wierd answers if I'm right
    Q10 - Only got the a part. The b part through me completely. Id say only 5 marks for it.

Hope I get the A1 but A2 is fine.

alan4cult wrote: »
    k = 4 I think was it

Damn... well the projectiles stuff was perfect, so probably 40/50. I hope 6(b) is worth 30 marks. Can't see it being more than 20... but everything else seems fine. Maybe an A2? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Thought it was okay , harder than last year.

any one get some of these answers;

4b ii (root3) / 19 g

8b ii 47.37 N

10b i 3200kW
    ii 15 m/s

2b inverse tan (5) for direction

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

1. part a was piss, B think i got it, for first accel you just use v-u/t then use that to find other one speed i got was 23+25=48m/s for second part
    3. part a took me a while but i got it, b i got -4 not 4 for some reason coz gravity was + i though coz its going down myabe i did something wrong though
    4. was easy enough for wedge accel got 4.14m/s^2
    5. was easy though not sure about 2nd part in a
    8. a(proof), b i used kinetic+ potencial = constant but i think i did it slightly wrong
    10. What a ****ing disaster a part was piss in hindsight but i didnt notice the trig integral, anyone know how much marks i lost?
    and b havent a clue how i did hopefully ok
    i think 10 defo brought me down from my a, so pissed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Am i the only one who did q2 !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Adventure wrote: »
    Am i the only one who did q2 !?
    Nah, it was easy enough. Did you get 64m and -5.4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

flint_72 wrote: »
    its was grand,ya. What did ye all get? heres some of mine;

Q3. A; got it out, B; k=4
    Q5. A; (i) V_a=1-e , V_b=(1-e^2)/2 , V_c=(1+e)^2 /2 B; got it out
    Q6. A; (i) a=-100x (ii) v= 1.683 , a=10.81 B; W=(3g/2)^1/2 rad s^-1
    Q7. A; Tan(alpha)=7/4 B; (mu)=2/3
    Q8. A; proof B; (i) 5g/26 (ii) 62g/13 and 63g/13 (did any1 get anything like these? Im not sure how correct they are.)
    Q10. A; x=1 B; (i) P=3,200 (ii) v_1=15m s^-1

As regards Q8. B and using the speed,the only way I was able to do it was to use the speed :P. I used it to find the displacement undergone as potential energy was changed to knetic energy, then I used that distance wit " v^2=u^2 = 2as " to get the "a".How did ye do it?!

I got the same for 3 and 5, didn't do 6 or 7, but I got very different stuff for Q8b. I think I got g/6 for acceleration, and I got 5g for one of the tensions, and I can't remember what the other one was in terms of g, it was 47.something when I worked it out though.

Oh, by the way, there was a specific formula for 8b, it was like L=I(angular acceleration). It's the Q.8 version of F=ma.

Damn, I screwed up somewhere in 10b(i), I had and extra three zeros onto that answer! Oh well...all done now!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Anyone do Ordinary Level?

7 out of 8 people in my class dropped down on the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I was tired/lazy and lost interest in using App Maths for points so I only prepared like 4 questions..

Q1 was fine,except for b (iii) which i didn't get for some reason.
    Q2 (A) was grand, I got 64 metres, (B) I think I got wrong, it ended up being a few pages but I got E11S.
    Q3.. couldn't get part A, got 4 for k.
    Q4a.. Got a similar answer to that in the paper, with 2 instead of 4. (b) I drew the diagrams and wrote a few equations and gave up.. I had an idea how to do it.. but I hadn't practised any 2 sided wedge ones so I didn't bother going any further..
    Q10.. was good enough, I got 3200kW, 30.53 m/s

Ah.. Sure Il be happy with a C3 really.. I was either going to be counting this or french and french went fine so this was out...
    Damn, I screwed up somewhere in 10b(i), I had and extra three zeros onto that answer! Oh well...all done now!!! :D

You didn't screw up, its 3200kW, 3200000W. I left it in W's with all the zero's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

A nice paper I thought, but for some reason I was freaking out at the start, did question 10 in like five seconds, later found out I misread the last part :(

Q1 was nice
    Q2 part a was nice, part b I got something 55 degrees something (only wrote down 55)
    Q3 (a) anohter misread catastrophe, I was doig the range for it. And redid it like 3 times till I saw it was max height, got it then :). Got K=4
    Q4 a was nice, for b I got 2.57 as the acceleration of the wedge, but I'm not sure how accurate that was, I was pretty flustered for the entire exam, so I'm sure it's filled with littel mistakes
    Q5 nice question,a nd fives have always been my favourite
    Q9 didn't get most of(b) got r=2 cm or something, (a) was fine
    Q10 Started here, was overexcited I guess, misread the last question.. hopefully it's only minus one or something
    maybe putting P in watts is risky, as it was PkW not PW , but it's not physics, I doubt they would take marks

I guess the leaving cert is dumbing down, there was not one freakishly hard question

Does anyone know of any of those sites that post up the answers to questions shortly after the exams? (I know student express did it for maths, but don't know if they do it for apt....I'll go check. they do not.)

theres a site that has the maths answers? where? thats y i joined on this thing the other day.A friend told me people put up their answers,as they do,n i like checkin over stuff.

Did any1 else do Q 6 n 7 ? looks like i screwed up my Q8. then,ah well,if it was only 1 blunder itll only b like -3. though my tensions do work out at 47.something.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Ah, it was alright. Not fantastic, not bad either.

Qt 1) a) was so easy, I got a bit worried, was wondering if there was a catch, lol...

anyway, hopefully got a B.. got stuck on a few parts.

But who cares, we're finished now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

Q1: a part was a doddle, meant to go back to biii at the end but ran outta time :(
    Q2: Can't remember my answers, but got most of it out
    Q3: Got the first part and got k= 4 for the second part
    Q4: Fecked up the wedge, but got the first part...what equations did people get for the wedge thing?
    Q5: graaand
    Q10: a, fine, got 14.98 or something for the second part.

Overall i was happy enough.

It's OVER!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well I went straight for the projectiles, literally shat my hole when it wasnt coming out, all I could think about was how much a waste doing app maths was. But got it later.

Q1 - Seemed easy, so I was paranoid was doing something wrong.
    Q2 - Followed all the steps, think its right one wierd thing though.
    Q3 - As above. Got it out so I would imagine I got 50 marks
    Q4 - First part (relatively!!!!) easy!! Second part lots of equations but you only had yo use half of them so was grand.
    Q5 - Oh what a bute. Got it all out.
    Q8 - Went alright, dont really know. (a) 20 marks of course
    Q10 - got 14 (13.95 really) This is wrong as the lower V limit should have been 10, not 0 as I said but then again - only a slip!!!

And that all my talk about the LC OVER!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I messed that exam up so much. didnt do too bad tho...
    can someone check my answers????

Q1
    4s
    83.3m
    9/24 m/s^2
    48 m/s
    525 m

Q2
    1.5i -2j
    64 m
    9i-3j (I didnt see that they wanted direction so i left it in vector form. how many marks would i lose?????????)

Q3
    got down to the trig but messed up when subbing in and didnt go back to it.
    k=4

Q5
    cant remember, a load of e's
    i just bull****ted for this.
    got this out in the dying minutes

Q6
    a=-100x w=10
    v=168.31 cm/s
    a=1080 cm/s^2

I drew the diagrams for this and got a load of eqautions but never got around to prooving it. how many marks would i get for the diagrams and the basica equations etc... ?????

Q10
    i messed this up, i hadnt done maths in so long, that i didnt recognaise the tan inverse!!!!! i knew it wasnt working out so i purposesly made a 'slip' so it would give me a nice answer. how many marks would i lose?????

P=3200KW
    v1=15

(that last part was sooo good. I was looking at the numbers on my calculator thinking ffs, this is not going to work out. then igot some some number and got the cube root of it and out popped 15.000000021 YES!!!!!)

I made a balls of some questions but i made an attempt at everything and did the first few steps of every question i didnt get. I just rlly wanna know how many marks you lose for the slips etc that i mentioned above. I really need at least a B3 in this exam!!! plz can someone tll me if you're not already drunk.... :) woo it's over!

Peleus wrote: »
    I messed that exam up so much. didnt do too bad tho...
    can someone check my answers????

Q3
    got down to the trig but messed up when subbing in and didnt go back to it.
    k=4

Q5
    cant remember, a load of e's
    i just bull****ted for this.
    got this out in the dying minutes

Q6
    a=-100x w=10
    v=168.31 cm/s
    a=1080 cm/s^2

I drew the diagrams for this and got a load of eqautions but never got around to prooving it. how many marks would i get for the diagrams and the basica equations etc... ?????

Q10
    i messed this up, i hadnt done maths in so long, that i didnt recognaise the tan inverse!!!!! i knew it wasnt working out so i purposesly made a 'slip' so it would give me a nice answer. how many marks would i lose?????

P=3200KW
    v1=15

I got the ones in bold.I put my Q6. answers in terms of meters,bu if we both marked them clearly that shouldnt matter. And i didnt do either of Q1. r Q2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maromo

I did ordinary and although I thought it was harder than other year´s, probably will get my 60 points:)

Advertisement