Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sligo being overlooked by RTE?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I am just starting this thread in relation to the poor coverage of the Sligo footballers. This is the defense of the Connaught senior football title they won last year after a lenghtly time without it. I for one was really looking forward to seeing them play this year. I went to the RTE website only to find out that the Mayo-Sligo game from McHale Park is only being streamed live on the RTE Website. That is a huge disappointment. I can watch it online but a lot of fans from here will not be able to see it. My team (Dublin) will be televised next week in their Leinster semi against Westmeath but Sligo won't be. Any opinions on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Mr Xiney also thought it was odd that last year's champions weren't being given RTE coverage. However, I think it's probably a pure business move on RTE's part - they probably got more interest from advertisers for the game they are showing due to population numbers and past ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The problem is that Sligo have done awful since then so I can't blame them tbh!

Hopefully Sligo will prove everyone wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just over 10 minutes to go until throw in. Anybody else going to be watching the game online. Come on Sligo. Big game. Anybody think they can win in Mayo?

Oh dear, this is not looking good. Looks like the Qualifiers I'm afraid!!!:eek:

Terrible Performance!

Well done Mayo!

• Advertisement

Can somebody confirm this for me. Sligo were hammered today by Mayo and I read on the RTE report of the game they are heading for the Tommy Murphy Cup. Is that because of their relegation from the league table? No chance for Sam for Sligo this year at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

DenMan wrote: »
    I read on the RTE report of the game they are heading for the Tommy Murphy Cup. Is that because of their relegation from the league table?
    Yep. Relegation to division 4 = Tommy Murphy Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ah, Tommy Murphy.

I know that name well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Tommy Murphy Cup = Losers' League :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

No chance for Sam for Sligo this year at all?

Hasn't that been the case since ... forever :(

Tommy Murphy cup = an embarrassment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A couple of years ago, Sligo played 5 championship matches and didn't get on TV once. Something like New York, Leitrim, Galway, Clare and Westmeath? Can't remember really, but it was 5 matches untelevised.:eek:
    However, on Sunday's performance, who gives a damn? They should be embarrassed and ashamed. But you know what? They're not. They were in Toff's as usual on Sunday night. They drank all day Monday in Strandhill (not all but alot of them). Apparently they started chanting "Tommy Murphy Cup" when they were twisted. If I had been part of such a gutless, limp, pathetic performance, I'd drown my sorrows quietly in a corner, not make a completely obnoxious gob****e out of myself.:mad:

il gatto wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, Sligo played 5 championship matches and didn't get on TV once. Something like New York, Leitrim, Galway, Clare and Westmeath? Can't remember really, but it was 5 matches untelevised.:eek:
    However, on Sunday's performance, who gives a damn? They should be embarrassed and ashamed. But you know what? They're not. They were in Toff's as usual on Sunday night. They drank all day Monday in Strandhill (not all but alot of them). Apparently they started chanting "Tommy Murphy Cup" when they were twisted. If I had been part of such a gutless, limp, pathetic performance, I'd drown my sorrows quietly in a corner, not make a completely obnoxious gob****e out of myself.:mad:

You stalking them?:D

Are the current crop of players at the end of the time now? Have they started to blood newer, younger players into the Senior Team, from the clubs and underage levels. I can't see Eamon O'Hara and John McPartland going on forever, great as they have been over the years. There has to be new guys coming onto the scene. If they are drinking with the seasoned players then you really are in trouble. :(

I can't see Eamon O'Hara and John McPartland going on forever, great as they have been over the years.

Hopefully not! That's part of the problem!

Are the current crop of players at the end of the time now? Have they started to blood newer, younger players into the Senior Team, from the clubs and underage levels. I can't see Eamon O'Hara and John McPartland going on forever, great as they have been over the years. There has to be new guys coming onto the scene. If they are drinking with the seasoned players then you really are in trouble. :(

My brother was there and he said there was a fair few younger ones as well. Start as they mean to go on and all. They didn't drink as much when they won last year.

I remember my Dad telling me the same thing about the Donegal team that won the All Ireland in 1992, they all went on the gargle after the win, and as a result never won it again. Surely Brian McEniff must have tried to put a stop to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I remember my Dad telling me the same thing about the Donegal team that won the All Ireland in 1992, they all went on the gargle after the win, and as a result never won it again. Surely Brian McEniff must have tried to put a stop to it.

I just hope that whoever wins it this year will not repeat Donegal's (and their bands of Fans) 365 days of celebrations and more on and on into early 1994.. It was laughable..You couldn't turn on the radio only to hear it over and over again. ''Why don't YOU come and see the Donegal team at the..... and the... .... and meet for yourselves ...... and ......your all conquering heros'' BLAH BLAH

Your right there. My first response to that would have been that it was a different era back then. The drinking culture must have been different then. However I think it is worse now, my opinion I know, but I doubt I am alone with this.

Well I just saw there Sligo will be away to either Kilkenny or London in The Tommy Murphy Cup. Anybody got any thoughts on this momentous draw.

Could very well be Sligo playing in Ruislip again!!! The mighty Tommy Murphy Cup. Surely they must win this competition. Leitrim are in it too!!! Wicklow have a good side it must be said, they would be favourites in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

while i run the risk of sounding like that loon Eric Forde, yes sligo has being overlooked not only by RTE but by national media in general. But is it because there is nothing going on over here or is it because they just dont like us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Sligo Gaa should be grateful to RTE for not showing it.

Good point. It was a masacre. Sligo will not win the Tommy Murphy Cup, because A: They think they're too good for it, and B: They're actually not even good enough to win it. Oh, the irony.

Manager is gone this morning!

Manager gone, is that confirmed? Oh dear!!!

Yeah was on Radio 1 this morning.

Will find a linky!

Cheers Gillie. I think who ever comes in as the new manager is going to wield the axe and bring in new blood. Just my 2c!!!

Has to. The older players are going to be gone. The likes of David Kelly and Johnny Davey are the future of this team if we are to have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

First thing that has to be done regardless of who plays:

Come up with a bloody game plan that doesn't involve hand passing 40 times before the halfway line, until the opposition intercepts and after two long passes puts the ball over the bar. Cork beat Kerry by launching missiles into a full forward, we would be still running around in circles in our own half looking for another handpass!!!

Copy Fermanagh and Monaghan who have similar populations to us and spend the next two years working towards a specific game plan using specific players that fit the plan. Will any of the above be considered?...not at all...we will be watching Sligo handpass their way out of the Championship for years to come:mad:

• Advertisement

Hand passing is pretty to look at, but if there is no end product or as you said the opposition takes the ball off you and you can't get it back then you are in trouble.

Advertisement