Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sligo being overlooked by RTE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yesterdays result in London was a terrible defeat. Did anyone make it over for the game. What a difference 4 weeks make. Back to the drawing board for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

DenMan wrote: »
    Yesterdays result in London was a terrible defeat. Did anyone make it over for the game. What a difference 4 weeks make. Back to the drawing board for next year.

I would hope nobody would waste their money following a bunch of embarrassments to London for a Tommy Murphy Cup match. I'm not one bit suprised at the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Compare and contrast with a gutsy Rovers performances last night when they came out and played like a team after going through a very tough week :(

Good point there gustavo. I really hope Rovers can get themselves out of this mess and I also hope (I know I am an eternal optimist!!!) that the Sligo footballers find their competitive edge again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo need to bring in an experienced manager from outside the county. We have no history of great victories like alot of other counties and therefore no ex-players who know how to win. Sligo don't know what it takes. We made progress under Micky Moran (handpassing:D) and again under Peter Forde. Under Kearins and Jordan (Mayo man, I know) we went backwards. The Corrigan debacle wasn't all his fault and was handled terribly. Brehony was the exception and the players really made the effort for him. It's a terrible shame he didn't stay on for a few years. Now we need to look at getting an experienced manager from a successful county who'll whip the lads into shape and cut out the dead wood and bring in some talent.
    GAA in Sligo has been held back by nepotism and favouritism. If your good enough you should get a chance. A few years ago when things were looking good, there was alot of lads in the team from Coolera and St. Mary's and the like. For years these clubs didn't get a look in as it was completely dominated by south Sligo. It's time for a major re-think and some drastic changes. If they appoint another Sligo manager whose caught up in the parochial crap, we'll get nowhere.
    Having said that, out of the three names I've heard mentioned (Brennan, Kent and Durcan) I think Durcan would be the best. He was an inspirational player who all the lads liked and he knows how football is played these days. He could be the man to drag them out of the rut they're in. If he doesn't get it, start looking at someone like Padie O'Shea, Mick O'Dwyer, Joe Kernan or somebody along those lines (they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole I expect).

• Advertisement

Sorry for bumping my old thread but just found out that Sligo vs Galway is live on RTE tomorrow.

Should be a great crowd there tomorrow.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0626/gaa.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I predict that the score will be Sligo 1-9. Galway 2-16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Sligo seems to always give Galway a good game. Hopefully Sligo win, cos following Mayo to Pearse Stadium is a pain in the ass. Would be quicker going to Croke Park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Jabby wrote: »
    I predict that the score will be Sligo 1-9. Galway 2-16.

Good guess! Sligo got 12 points as you suggested but Galway did not do as well as forecast. Still won!
    Sligo - always the bridesmaid, never the bride. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

They're playing Kerry on Saturday , think it's on TV3 .

Tough game but I think they can do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement