Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

right so, used car with big engines, the gormley effect.

Options
  • 20-06-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

lads

now that we are entering a new era with greener and more environmentally friendly and thus boring cars will this new reigme of tardy cars open up a cheaper market for nice 6 pot beemers and the like us proper folk desire, to offset higher vrt and tax, since no one in their right head will buy a 2litre+ car from next month onwards....right..:cool:

I think it would be possibly to get a 323Ci now, a 2000 model for about 10k, not at all shabby?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Actually, BMW 6 pot engines have always been frugal for a 6 pot engine, and for more than a year BMW have been selling 6 pot petrols that are in the same VRT band from next month as 1.6 Mondeos and Avensises.

The 325i saloon and Coupé are so environmentally friendly they're in the same VRT and road tax category as a 1.4 Focus and Corolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You could always get proper cars with V6s and V8s for next to nothing and Gormley had nothing to do with that or any other bigger car coming down in price. Economic uncertaintly and fuel prices did that, along with the fact that bigger engined cars were never that desireable in Ireland.

Altho 10k for an 8 year old doesn't seem that cheap to me, it's €900 to tax year, and relatively speaking it's not that quick either. 32mpg, it's going to be an expensive mouth to feed too. Logic would dictate that it should cost even less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

How can a 325 bmw be in the same tax and vrt band as a focus? am i missing something? is this for new bmw's?

Only 08 model year ones manage this remarkable feat. Average fuel consumption is 39.8 mpg. Automatic models pollute the grand total of 0, yes 0 g/km extra over the manual models.

Similarly good results are available in all 5 series 6 cylinder models since March 07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

How can a 325 bmw be in the same tax and vrt band as a focus? am i missing something? is this for new bmw's?
    325 = 170g
    Focus 1.4 = 157g

Band D is 156g to 170g.

The BMW just squeaks in, and the Focus unfortunately near misses the band below. This is one of the anomalies of the system, as it could very easily have been Focus in Band C and BMW in Band E.

• Advertisement

The new Porsche 911 has a variant that escapes 36% VRT - no joke:eek:! The Careera 2 with PDK(Porsche's equivalent of DSG, though strictly speaking Posche invented the DSG type of gearbox decades ago) is the 911 in question.

That is amazing for a car that does 0-100 in 4.5 seconds and tops out at 286 km/h.

Ironically had we the old cc system a 911 owner would be paying €491 a year more than they would from July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

wow, thats amazing really. but only if you got 50grand plus for a new bmw huh.

I would be spending more modest to take advantage of alot of car for a little cash depreciation..!
    I have been hankering after a 323Ci, seems a nice car. what milage would you get on a tank, say a 01 model...?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

legs11 wrote: »
    lads

now that we are entering a new era with greener and more environmentally friendly and thus boring cars will this new reigme of tardy cars open up a cheaper market for nice 6 pot beemers and the like us proper folk desire, to offset higher vrt and tax, since no one in their right head will buy a 2litre+ car from next month onwards....right..:cool:

I think it would be possibly to get a 323Ci now, a 2000 model for about 10k, not at all shabby?

I think you have missed the point of the new vrt scheme Nothing got to do with engine size anymore my friend. most 2.0 plus diesels will actually be quite cheap to tax.

for example I drive a 6 pot 3.0 diesel BMW current tax 1200
    If I buy a new 530d in the morning its only €430.

a new 520d will only be €150 a year to tax

however ill be keeping my 02 530d for quite a while longer. Can't see the point in spending 50,000 on a new 5 series to save 800 a year but im sure some will do so thinking great they have cheap tax forgetting the €850 p/m repayments. I hear so many people now talkin about " Oh ill have to buy a small car below a certain engine size or ill be crippled with tax" silly!

It's what comes out the exhaust(co2) not engine size

REPEAT co2 not engine size new cars

However if what you ment was cars 07 and older then yes id agree. It should bring down the prices of the new model 5 series as an 06/07 530d with a tax of 1200 is going to be unatttractive vs a €430 p/y tax on a 08 530d

however on older including my own car I don't think it will make much of a difference. I am looking at buying a second 2002 530d E39 model (96-03) and as i believe these are more sought after than the 03 model but prices are holding very well. Probaly something got to do with thre fact that all E39 will have the same tax. wheras the newer 5 series will have 2 tax brackets 03-07 and 08 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

E92, after July what BMW would you buy personally if you had 15-18k to spend?

Advertisement