Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools LE 7.4 - Finally on Leopard

Options
  • 20-06-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

About bloody time!

I bought a laptop to work on my mixes at home a couple of months ago. I never even bothered to check the compatibility with Pro Tools. I just presumed it would run on it, because Pro Tools started on macs. Then I realised that Pro Tools LE doesn't run on Leopard.
    DigiDesign released 7.4.2 update this week. I installed it and all is working well. Anybody else running it? I'm finding it hard to get the plug-ins that I used to use. I have a license for Waves Mercury, but only on my machine in work. It's sh!t when you can't use all the plug-ins when mixing at home. I used to be able to run the same version on two machines but not any more. And I know work are definitely not going to buy another licence. Anyway, just thought I'd let people know the update is available to run LE on Leopard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Plug ins are highly over priced anyway. The companies would sell tons more if they cut the prices down a hell of allot. I paid €2000 for second hand waves diamond plug ins with license transfer fee inclusive. It's far too much money. The TDM plug ins are even more expensive. The companies don't leave much room for the middle man. They must expect you to be either a millionaire or you work in a hugely successful recording studio. Pro tools HD users from what I have read don't get phone support either for their €20,000 plus investment (correct me if I am wrong) The entire situation stinks of only a couple of words RIP OFF. Having to license this and pace lok that is a joke and a pain in the ass. You should be able to take your work home and use whatever plug ins you were using in work on your computer without all this nonsense. And just for good measure, any guys who ever have cracked software even though it is completely ILLEGAL and WRONG would rather the real thing, BUG free software,it's just €6000 for waves mercury or whatever is out of this world. So life is expensive and you it gets more and more expensive the more you grow up. If you buy windows XP you get phone support but not if you spend millions on Pro tools

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »
    Plug ins are highly over priced anyway. The companies would sell tons more if they cut the prices down a hell of allot. I paid €2000 for second hand waves diamond plug ins with license transfer fee inclusive. It's far too much money. The TDM plug ins are even more expensive. The companies don't leave much room for the middle man. They must expect you to be either a millionaire or you work in a hugely successful recording studio. Pro tools HD users from what I have read don't get phone support either for their €20,000 plus investment (correct me if I am wrong) The entire situation stinks of only a couple of words RIP OFF. Having to license this and pace lok that is a joke and a pain in the ass. You should be able to take your work home and use whatever plug ins you were using in work on your computer without all this nonsense. And just for good measure, any guys who ever have cracked software even though it is completely ILLEGAL and WRONG would rather the real thing, BUG free software,it's just €6000 for waves mercury or whatever is out of this world. So life is expensive and you it gets more and more expensive the more you grow up. If you buy windows XP you get phone support but not if you spend millions on Pro tools

That's beginning to sound like an argument for Logic???

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

True. Plug-ins are ridiculously overpriced. Mercury is at least €5000 anyway. There is a way I can temporarily transfer licenses and stuff but it's too much hassle. I just want to be able to take the hard drive home with me and carry on working. Don't have time for messing around with iLoks and authorisation codes etc... It should be way more user friendly.

That's beginning to sound like an argument for Logic??? {QUOTE}

No its not, it is a statement, nothing more, nothing less, that logic debate is everywhere on the web already.:eek:

QuadLeo wrote: »
    T I just want to be able to take the hard drive home with me and carry on working. Don't have time for messing around with iLoks and authorisation codes etc... It should be way more user friendly.

There may have been a Producer in Dublin, who may have had scores of pop hits, who bought all the software ...... then proceeded to use bootleg/cracks for that very reason! So he may ....

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    There may have been a Producer in Dublin, who may have had scores of pop hits, who bought all the software ...... then proceeded to use bootleg/cracks for that very reason!

If he bought the software are you suggesting he should buy it twice? so he can mix at home, that doesn't seem fair.

He who has paid should not be afraid, he who is a thief should wallow in grief!! hee hee

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    There may have been a Producer in Dublin, who may have had scores of pop hits, who bought all the software ...... then proceeded to use bootleg/cracks for that very reason! So he may ....

Fair play to him! Warez ftw! I would use cracked software but I don't need it in work because all the software I need is there. It's only lately I've needed the plug-ins on another machine.

would use cracked software

tut tut ...

Not saying I do use cracked plug-ins. But the way it's looking at the moment, it's a lot less hassle. Maybe I should start. Thanks for the idea Paul!

Not saying I do use cracked plug-ins. But the way it's looking at the moment, it's a lot less hassle. Maybe I should start. Thanks for the idea Paul!

I'm here to serve ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Any idea if they will update 7.3? or will i have to upgrade to 7.4?
    I am running 7.3 with leopard 10.2 no hassle (altho cant get xpand or t-racks to work) but i'm worried about updating to 10.3 and any effect it might have on pro-tools..
    Also Plug-ins are ridiculously priced, especially for an impoverished audio engineering student like my-self.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

What a load of crap.

Waves plugins are expensive.
    So don't buy Waves.
    You could get a whole mess of URS, Sonnox, Chandler and Soundtoys stuff for 2k and be making all the music you want.

iLok is a pain in the arse?
    You must have an awful short attention span.
    2 minutes to log in to their website and download a license.
    And then you CAN bring all your plugins home, securely and legally.
    Unless one of us is not understanding how an iLok works, that is.
    Where exactly is the hard part?

Plugins are the price the market has set for them.
    The market as in vendors, purchasers and pirates.
    More people buying legitimate plugins would mean lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Any idea if they will update 7.3? or will i have to upgrade to 7.4?

You'll have to upgrade.
    If you want free plugins, there's thousands of free vst plugins out there for you.
    Just go find the good ones.
    Even if you use Pro Tools, just pick up the VST wrapper and away you go.

teamdresch wrote: »

True

teamdresch wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

Waves plugins are expensive.
    So don't buy Waves.
    You could get a whole mess of URS, Sonnox, Chandler and Soundtoys stuff for 2k and be making all the music you want.

Yes you are right there are better plug ins available for that kind of price.

iLok is a pain in the arse?
    You must have an awful short attention span.
    2 minutes to log in to their website and download a license.
    And then you CAN bring all your plugins home, securely and legally.
    Unless one of us is not understanding how an iLok works, that is.
    Where exactly is the hard part?

I don't have a short attention span thank you very much and yes I understand iLOK procedures. Often these iLok internet procedures can feel messy and hard to work around and simply too complicated. So I don't accept your point on this one.You are the consumer and you are the one saying its a simple few steps but this type of procedure is hassle and the likes of these companies should settle down and treat the honest customer with more trust. Thinking that its alright to have to register your product twice is ridiculous in my opinion and I am sticking with it. Hassle = hassle there is no justification for it.

Plugins are the price the market has set for them.
    The market as in vendors, purchasers and pirates.

Yes I agree I think everyone should buy their plug ins but we all know this is not the case!

Advertisement