Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with understanding the leaving cert and German

Options
  • 20-06-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope somebody can help me.

My daughter has just completed her Junior Cert adn one of her top subjects is german. The school have now notified her that German will not be available in the Leaving Cert.

We have looked at moving schools, but been turned down at the one we wished to go to. Her own school has said she can do 6 subjects for the leaving and then do the German outside of the school.

I have two questions.

1) How practical is this in terms of getting somewhere where she can follow the syllabus outside of the school. (Both myself and my wife speak German)

2) She will be doing transition year next year adn I wonder if it is possible for her to begin her leaving cert german course now and take it one year before the rest of her subjects?

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

well,i do german and i think that the exam is very doable...
    if she found german quite easy for the junior cert i would say that she won't have a problem as long as she's prepared to work hard at it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jay19

yeh she can take it extra but you have to remember that you can only use the points from any one sitting of the exams. Meaning she can't add two years of points together even as her 6th subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Hi, I hope somebody can help me.

My daughter has just completed her Junior Cert adn one of her top subjects is german. The school have now notified her that German will not be available in the Leaving Cert.

We have looked at moving schools, but been turned down at the one we wished to go to. Her own school has said she can do 6 subjects for the leaving and then do the German outside of the school.

I have two questions.

1) How practical is this in terms of getting somewhere where she can follow the syllabus outside of the school. (Both myself and my wife speak German)

2) She will be doing transition year next year adn I wonder if it is possible for her to begin her leaving cert german course now and take it one year before the rest of her subjects?

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

1. I think that you and your wife could teach your daughter, as long as you were well versed on the oral syllabus. It's a case of consulting a German teacher because there is a prescribed set of material that must be learnt off by heart. I also think that all you need to teach your daughter is a set of exam papers. The comprehensions and grammar should come fairly easily for you and then the letter and short essay require learning a few abstract topics and phrases.

2. Yes, there is no problem for your daughter gaining an extra edge by studying German for 3 years, it would be a very good idea. Although the course could also be completed in one year, but it would be no harm to ensure that she has a very good grasp of the language. Furthermore, it would allow her to dedicate much more time to her other 6 subjects if you had covered items such as general grammar and practiced tapes/ aural comprehensions.

All in all, I recommend you consult her old teacher in order to get a rounded insight into the whole German course and it's requirements of you, if you do intend on teaching her yourself. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a grinds teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

You might as well do 7 subjects in school as well, since there's no point in hanging about for 3 hours a week(don't think she'll study) and it'll give her the chance to drop down in subjects she finds difficult without affecting her points.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.

Go raibh maith agat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I took up German for the leaving cert in tran year. Ended up with a c in ord level. I'm sure with both you and your wife German speakers and indeed, it being her best subject I'm sure she'll be fine.

If you haven't do so already talk to the German teacher in the school, who knows they might be able to help you out.

Viel Glück

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Can I just add, its a bit of a farse that the school arent making it available for a leaving cert subject.. And if their excuse is,"Not enough numbers for German" they ought to be ashamed of themselves...

Best of luck though, she should definitely keep it up outside of school. Finding a language easy is a great talent and should be nurtured!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you pursued the school you were 'turned down' for?
    They are happy enough to take Department money no doubt.
    What excuse did they give you for rejecting your daughter?

It's quite possible to do German seperately, either by herself with your help or more formally with a grind. If there is a German teacher in her school, I'm sure he/she would be delighted to advise you and your daughter. It would be best to sit it in the same year as her other subjects, if only to avoid a repeat Leaving Cert. fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

spurious wrote: »
    Have you pursued the school you were 'turned down' for?
    They are happy enough to take Department money no doubt.
    What excuse did they give you for rejecting your daughter?

No vacancies as demand was too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Can I just add, its a bit of a farse that the school arent making it available for a leaving cert subject.. And if their excuse is,"Not enough numbers for German" they ought to be ashamed of themselves...

Best of luck though, she should definitely keep it up outside of school. Finding a language easy is a great talent and should be nurtured!
    Hmm. This is standard practice in my school. I think the minimum is 8 students for a class to go ahead. Which is why my year has no Accounting or Physics. Would it not be the same story in most schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I hate German
    If you're thinking of teaching her yourself, then I'd imagine it'd be difficult. It depends how good she is at the moment really. As others have said, the best thing would be to ask her old German teacher.
    Yep, but as others have said it wouldn't be counted for points.....which would be a bad thing I presume, presuming that she is good at german because you and your wife speak it....and it'd be guaranteed high points for when she's trying to get into college.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

cautioner wrote: »
    Hmm. This is standard practice in my school. I think the minimum is 8 students for a class to go ahead. Which is why my year has no Accounting or Physics. Would it not be the same story in most schools?

No it really depends on the teacher. The physics class in our year had only 4 students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dickjones

You have mention that you and your wife can speak German so it is very simple that you can teach her German in your home by any book but I will recommend you that German language is not very hard to learn the difficulty is with things like German Grammar and Vocabulary.So learn German Grammar and Vocabulary in a very simplest form from http://www.learngermanreviews.com/ and you will see that it is not a hard language.

Good Luck.

Advertisement