Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick returns question

Options
  • 20-06-2008 7:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

bought a monitor in Pcworld in waterford 2 months ago,

have the reciept - it is not working exactly as it should ie. will not display the resolution it claims,

Can I demand a full refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

In short-No.

It is up to the company whether they wish to repair, refund or replace.

Certain companies have additional returns policies that do not impinge on statuatory rights, ie "No quibble money back guarantee", but provide extra entitlements.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

mayordenis wrote: »
    bought a monitor in Pcworld in waterford 2 months ago,

have the reciept - it is not working exactly as it should ie. will not display the resolution it claims,

Can I demand a full refund?

No, I'm afraid.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, the law states that a refund, repair or replacement must be offered to resolve the issue.

The law does not state WHO decides this.

From what I hear, a straight of demand for a refund doesn't go down well with the small claims court, you have to meet the company half way, or have a failed repair, etc.

However SOME retail outlets give money back guarentees, but this is an in house policy and nothing to do with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Forgot to mention that PC World have a bad rep for dealing with things like this so you may be in for a bit of a runaround.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

If it's a model that doesn't support the resolution advertised you can demand a full refund or a suitable replacement because it obviously can't be "repaired" into a better monitor. If it is a model that normally functions at the resolution advertised but has a weird problem that stops you using the highest resolution (???) you may be offered a repair, replacment or refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SDooM wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the law states that a refund, repair or replacement must be offered to resolve the issue.
    But only if it's a manufacturing fault.

=-=

OP, you mention resolution... where does it say that it could go up to this resolution, and why has it taken you 2 months to find it out? Most shops do a 30 days thing, but at 2 months, unless a manufacturing fault, your chances are slim.
    so is this BS?
    Meh. Not toal BS, but most of it can/will be ignored. PM me the model, if you don't wish to say here, but it not be your monitor that could be at fault, it may be your graphics card not being good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

From the same site

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights.html

To save you clicking.

"You should always complain as soon as possible after the problem is discovered. If you do not act within a reasonable time, it may appear that you have accepted the goods, defect and all. In this case, you may lose your right to reject the goods completely and seek a full refund. You may only be entitled to a partial refund or a repair."

Two months might be stretching it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No where does that state you can automatically get a refund, just that that is a potential remedy that can be offered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it's says in several places that I am not obliged to accept anything that I don't want ie. if they offer something and they product isn't working as described I'll be able to get the full refund - look in the Retailers' responses section (links on the left)

We'll exchange the product

If you are happy with a replacement product, take it. If not, remember you are not legally obliged to accept an exchange. Back to top

We'll repair it free of charge

If goods are not of merchantable quality, you do not have to accept a repair. You can insist on a refund or a replacement. Back to top

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

it's says in several places that I am not obliged to accept anything that I don't want ie. if they offer something and they product isn't working as described I'll be able to get the full refund - look in the Retailers' responses section (links on the left)
    Why did it take you 2 months to figure out it was unable to display at the resolution it claimed to be able to work on?
    We'll exchange the product

If you are happy with a replacement product, take it. If not, remember you are not legally obliged to accept an exchange. Back to top

We'll repair it free of charge

If goods are not of merchantable quality, you do not have to accept a repair. You can insist on a refund or a replacement. Back to top
    You are not obliged to accept anything since there are no hard fast rules for most situations - its about what is reasonable.

Your goods are of merchantable quality they are just not as described in which case you *can* demand a refund however your case is very weak since it took you two months to bring it to their attention unless you have a very good excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it's says in several places that I am not obliged to accept anything that I don't want
    Aye, if it's broken. You mention resolutions... before you get owned by an Indian, tell us: what monitor you have, what graphics card you have, and what resolution you wish to use. Your graphics card may or may not be the bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aye, it could easily be the PC that's incapable of outputting that resolution, rather than the monitor being incapable of displaying it.

Advertisement