Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pier One is closed???

Options
  • 20-06-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Anyone know about this? A friend of mine who regularly lunches in the bar was not able to get in today as the door was locked. She went into the reception area to ask what was going on and was told by the receptionist that "it is no longer an hotel" (quote). No more information was forthcoming from the receptionist, so my friend left.

Outside a bus load of people (who appeared to be African) were all disembarking with suitcases, etc and entering the building.

Whats going on???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

the bar is definitely closed for good. all the beer/ spirits/drink wes taken out today. i think it is to reopen just as an hotel,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah its closed. Its a place for refugees now

And they were giving out because the place didnt have a gym *rolls eyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Not a massive fan of a refugee hostel in such a prominent spot but Pier One isn't much of a loss. Nice food but crap bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

but Pier One isn't much of a loss. Nice food but crap bar.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Thanks everyone for the info

Must say - we have enough hotels in Limerick area.

Maybe the planners for new proposed hotels might sit up and ask themselves whether this is a wake up call - enough is enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not surprised really that Pier One is closed. The last time I was in there the place was practically empty and it was a Saturday night. The interior needed to be totally renovated, even the seats were pretty worne and some had rips in them. The beer in there was terrible too. Being empty on a Saturday night meant reinvestment was never going to happen, I'm suprised it last this long to be honest.

When that place first opened you could not get in the door, seems to have become totally uncool with people very quickly. A bit like Nesters but without the scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

me and a few friends got turned away from there about 2 months ago by the bouncer because of the way i was dressed (suit jacket, t-shirt,jeans and a paid of €100 suede kickers that were apparently "tackies") the simpleton didnt seem to understand that i wasnt wearing a pair of daycent filas or nikes, i got in everywhere else that night including trinity rooms so no wonder the place was empty with buffoons like that on the door,good riddance to the place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

absolute is going too.

zuroph wrote: »
    absolute is going too.

Really? Surprised to hear that, though it did pretty well. When is it closing?

zuroph wrote: »
    absolute is going too.
    i heard that........ racket hall hotel roscrea is gone, the bank bar to follow?

• Advertisement

how the bank is kept going this long i dont know, the place makes a serious loss.

absolute, not sure when, but have heard it from a pretty official source, think its in recievership.

racket hall is gone??? :( where are we meant to stop for a pint and some grub on d way back from croke park?!?!

murphy browns in shannon is also closed , just about open a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Absolute is closing? :eek:
    How?
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Downturn in the economy I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

not looking good for the buiding at the new aldi so....

or is that offices? thought it was supposed to be a hotel tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Absolute is closing? :eek:
    How?
    Why?

I always thought the part of town it was located in was just a bit too far outside the CBD, so to speak. That and the overpopulation of the city with hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

The Absolute Hotel is not closed.

Open for business and taking bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A downturn doesn't really mean people no longer have money. It does mean that they will be a lot more careful how they spend it.

You just have to supply what they want. Charging E5 for a glass of beer when the punter may want to drink a number of such beers does not constitute good value for money. More pubs will go with it I fear.

The idea of gaps on our main streets with to let signs in whitewashed windows does depress me I have to say.

The Absolute Hotel is not closed.

Open for business and taking bookings
    "is closed" does not equal "is closing"

Surely the company behind it will either seek to go into receivership or to sell it as a going concern?

Anyhow, it's not that we've too many hotels, it's that we've too few tourists. We should be focussing on getting more tourism into the city, and not on complaining we've too many hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Sign on door says 'Closed for Renovations'.

Sign on door says 'Closed for Renovations'.
    its like the sign on the window of harris bar : closed for renovations resturant open in MAY;

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Its all hotels. There dosent seem to be any HOSTELS for backpackers since Barringtons closed down a few years ago. You have hostels for homeless people, for street drinkers(wet hostel) and now for refugees but none for tourists?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

mark1974 wrote: »
    Its all hotels. There dosent seem to be any HOSTELS for backpackers since Barringtons closed down a few years ago. You have hostels for homeless people, for street drinkers(wet hostel) and now for refugees but none for tourists?:confused:

As far as I remember the Sarsfield Bridge Hotel used to be a hostel prior to it becoming a hotel. Correct me if i'm wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Nope sarsfield was never a hostel just used to be the cheapest hotel in town

Advertisement