Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Pic]Mmm, sunflower seeds... hang on...

Options
  • 20-06-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

What's that?

:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How is this a consumer issue? Please elaborate, or I will lock the thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Goods are clearly not as described? Substandard merchandise? Buyer beware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

What are you on about? Can you write more than 5 words in a sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What are you on about? Can you write more than 5 words in a sentence?

Perhaps he's eaten some of the defective merchandise and can't quite reach the keyboard from his doubled-up position on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So far you haven't described the issue, how you dealt with the retailer or sought advice on how to proceed with it. You've just posted a picture and a few words.

Please read the charter with regard to posting in this forum.

dudara

• Advertisement

Ok, that's clearer. And yes, I have read the charters unlike some other poster in this thread. For those who don't realise what the picture is, it is a larval pupa, possibly of some kind of fly or beetle, found inside an unshelled sunflower seed product. The issue is that this indicates the product is of a low quality due to poor checking of product before packaging. My questions to the community would be, what would your reaction be (aside from the obvious initial reactions) to finding such a thing? The product is relatively inexpensive, but that means nothing as price is no consistent indicator of quality. Would you bother returning it? Do you simply avoid that shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As sombody who had some sunflower seeds for breakfast today (from Hollond and barrett ) i would be put of maybe eating them again and i would return with beatle if possible for further investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

in almost every pack of breaded fish there are going to be some bones but you dont bring this up? how without checking every single sunflower seed are the manufacturers going to eradicate such larvae from their products? and unless you were possibly a stringent vegan it wouldn't do you any harm to eat it along with the seeds.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    in almost every pack of breaded fish there are going to be some bones but you dont bring this up? how without checking every single sunflower seed are the manufacturers going to eradicate such larvae from their products? and unless you were possibly a stringent vegan it wouldn't do you any harm to eat it along with the seeds.

I can't really comment on breaded fish, as I don't eat it. The sunflower seed had a large hole on one end that should have been easily detected by human or mechanical methods. And just on the last point, without knowing what is inside you can't really be sure if it is or isn't harmful. Not that I'm expecting a visit to the centre for tropical diseases, but just because we live on Ireland where the most poisonous animal is the pigeon doesn't mean more unpleasant bugs can't be imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Weren't those a special in LIDL a few weeks ago? as they did a "Greek Week" like they did a "american week" last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

latchyco wrote: »
    and i would return with beatle if possible for further investigation

Assuming its not George Harrissons ashes , its a beetle.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I would be damn happy I hadn't eaten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Onikage wrote: »
    For those who don't realise what the picture is, it is a larval pupa, possibly of some kind of fly or beetle, found inside an unshelled sunflower seed product.
    It was in an unshelled sunflower seed which meant that you were not going to eat it without taking off the shell first at which time you would have noticed the larvae.
    The issue is that this indicates the product is of a low quality due to poor checking of product before packaging.
    Would you agree that it is impossible to ensure that EVERY seed is in perfect condition? Do you expect them to go through EVERY seed? Are you willing to pay the difference in price of such a QA service?
    My questions to the community would be, what would your reaction be (aside from the obvious initial reactions) to finding such a thing?
    My reaction would be to throw it in the bin or fire and move on. It was not in a sunflower seed - it was in the shell of a sunflower seed.
    The product is relatively inexpensive, but that means nothing as price is no consistent indicator of quality. Would you bother returning it? Do you simply avoid that shop?
    You could return the product if you like and I guarantee you they will give you your money back thus the issue is resolved. If I found more than one larvae then I would be worried or if there was larvae in all the packets - but you indicate there was only one in the packet thus get over it.

Under law if you think the goods are of unmerchantable quality then return them for a refund. If you think there is a food safety issue then contact the Food Safety Authority.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I can't really comment on breaded fish, as I don't eat it. The sunflower seed had a large hole on one end that should have been easily detected by human or mechanical methods. And just on the last point, without knowing what is inside you can't really be sure if it is or isn't harmful. Not that I'm expecting a visit to the centre for tropical diseases, but just because we live on Ireland where the most poisonous animal is the pigeon doesn't mean more unpleasant bugs can't be imported.

Ok, but the simple fact of the matter is that mistakes can and do happen. Perfect QA would cost you astronomically for the service. 90% of quality issues are resolved with low costs, but the last 10% cost an exponentially large amount to find (as others have said, they'd have to pay someone to check every single seed!)

Have you attempted to get a resolution OP? Have you contacted the retailer or the supplier? There is no issue to discuss really until you do, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Would you bother returning it? Do you simply avoid that shop?

Why would you avoid them shop? Do you expect them to have X-ray vision and to have seen it before selling it to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Assuming its not George Harrissons ashes , its a beetle.:)

Yes your right, it is a beetle .Those mop tops get everywhere

Advertisement