Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Maiden

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I have recently only got into these guys. Was wondering is there any maiden experts on here and if they could tell me what their best albums are. i only have the killers one and number of the beast. they seem to have millions of bloody albums! are they like most bands, their earlier stuff being the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I would sat The Number Of The Beast would be my personal favorite, Power Slave a close second. I have Live After Death and has just been recently listening to Aces High. Brill track. Seventh Son of A Seventh Son is another great album. Enjoy listening to them. By the way lead singer Bruce Dickinson is a registered commercial airline pilot. He flies for UK charter airline Astraeus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

cool thanks.
    he must have the best voice in rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Up there amongst the greats that's for sure ..on a huge worldwide tour right now....make sure you get to see them if you can.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ToNJHgp-w&feature=related (tags not workings)

Says it all really, this is the best version of this on YT in terms of sound quality. RUNN tO TeH HILLS Mutha****A!!!11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I love "Brave New World", as it's nice and chillin'.
    Hal1 wrote: »
    (tags not workings)
    You fail at using tags.

=-=

DenMan wrote: »
    By the way lead singer Bruce Dickinson is a registered commercial airline pilot. He flies for UK charter airline Astraeus.
    Aye. He's a "British singer, airline pilot, radio show host, DJ, Historian, television presenter, fencer and songwriter, best known as the Lead singer in the iconic heavy metal band Iron Maiden".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dickinson makes an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

get piece of mind and fear of teh dark. Two of their best ablums with Brave new world and Number of the beast.

At all Costs AVOID virtual eleven is just ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

In a nutshell, everything they did from 1980-1988, and from 2000 onwards is worth getting. The albums from the 1990's aren't great by comparison.

My personal recommendations would be Number of the beast, Piece of Mind & Iron Maiden, with A Matter Of Life & Death being well worth getting too.

Somewhere in time, 7th Son & Killers would also be high on the list, personally I'm not a big fan of Powerslave but it's got some excellent songs all the same and a lot of fans love it.

Their live albums are good too, Live After Death is regarded as one of the best live rock/metal albums of all time. Rock In Rio is excellent too (get the DVD if you can, recorded in january 2001 on the 'Brave New World' tour).

The two albums recorded with Blaze Bayley on vocals would be amongst their weaker moments IMO. X Factor is OK, a bit dull and very 'sad' (Steve Harris' marriage had broken up & I believe his father died around the same time).

Virtual XI is poor, although it does contain one 'classic' track - The Clansman.

In fact the band have played some Blaze-era tunes on subsequent tours with Bruce back on vocals (Man on the Edge, Sign of the cross, Lord of the flies & The Clansman) which sound great, and I can't help thinking that if the re-recorded 'Angel & The Gambler' with Bruce on vocals and the third guitar in there it'd be brilliant, but I may be alone in that opinion! ;)

There are several Best of/Greatest hits packages out there too.

What I will say is that since Bruce and Adrian have returned to the fold they have released 3 excellent studio albums and their live shows are possibly better than ever.

Along with Metallica & Rush they've been the soundtrack to my life since I was 14 (I'm 35 now!) and are quite simply my favourite band of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Number of the Beast ftw! My friends hate it but I think i's class. Certainly one of my favourite metal albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To add to album recommendations, if you can get your hands on it; get the Iron Maiden "BBC Archives" - it's a load of live songs from various festivals throughout the years including some amazing live versions of material, e,g, Children of the Damned - reading 1982 (I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Get Somwehere In Time - Its one of my favourite albums of theirs. No filler, and that whole album has this great atmosphere.
    I also really like their debut album - Iron Maiden. It has some cracking songs on it. Its not nearly as polished as their later stuff but their is a real energy to it.
    Seventh Son, Powerslave, Brave New World, Number of the Beast. These are all worth getting too, but to be honest everything except for maybe 1-2 albums are really excellent. Live After Death is a brilliant live album too, but I'd save that for when you have gotten into a few of the albums.

Maiden are one of those bands that I never ever grow tired of. They never disappoint live either. I'm going to see them at the weekend and I can't wait. 5th times a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

I've been listening to Iron Maiden again for the first time since the 80's when I was into heavy metal in a big way during my early teens. WOW.... after so many years not listening to any metal whatsoever I'm amazed at how great they still sound, so much so that I've had everything up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on heavy rotation on my iPod recently.

If I had to pick one album though it would be Powerslave - it really is outstanding. They were at their peak here, at absolute powerhouse of an album. That said I'd recommend everything up to and including Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Iron Maiden / Killers - the early years with Paul Di'Anno, for me there's a definite punk-ish vibe on the first album, the sound is much rawer than their later stuff.

The Number of the Beast / Piece of Mind / Powerslave - the definitive Iron Maiden period, Bruce Dickinson replaced Paul Di'Anno and brought with him a much broader vocal range, their sound becomes more epic and they compose some of their best songs. Add the live album Live After Death which concludes this era.

Somewhere in Time / Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - a new direction with a more experimental sound incorporating synth guitars for the first time.

I haven't listened to any of the albums that came after this as that's when I stopped listening to heavy metal and from what I've read they started to go downhill from here but I'll download and listen to the later stuff at some stage. For now, I'm re-acquainting myself with the music of my early teens much to my surprise! Also, listening to Megadeth's Peace Sells and Rust in Peace quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

peter1892 wrote: »
    There are several Best of/Greatest hits packages out there too.

Hehheh,one for everyday of the week id say, wasnt a new one released again lately...:D
    Great band though...love the guitar work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

ivuernis wrote: »
    I've been listening to Iron Maiden again for the first time since the 80's when I was into heavy metal in a big way during my early teens. WOW.... after so many years not listening to any metal whatsoever I'm amazed at how great they still sound, so much so that I've had everything up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on heavy rotation on my iPod recently.

If I had to pick one album though it would be Powerslave - it really is outstanding. They were at their peak here, at absolute powerhouse of an album. That said I'd recommend everything up to and including Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Iron Maiden / Killers - the early years with Paul Di'Anno, for me there's a definite punk-ish vibe on the first album, the sound is much rawer than their later stuff.

The Number of the Beast / Piece of Mind / Powerslave - the definitive Iron Maiden period, Bruce Dickinson replaced Paul Di'Anno and brought with him a much broader vocal range, their sound becomes more epic and they compose some of their best songs. Add the live album Live After Death which concludes this era.

Somewhere in Time / Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - a new direction with a more experimental sound incorporating synth guitars for the first time.

I haven't listened to any of the albums that came after this as that's when I stopped listening to heavy metal and from what I've read they started to go downhill from here but I'll download and listen to the later stuff at some stage. For now, I'm re-acquainting myself with the music of my early teens much to my surprise! Also, listening to Megadeth's Peace Sells and Rust in Peace quite a bit.

Try their latest album "A Matter of Life and Death" - very progressive. Agree with your comments re: Number of the Beast / Piece of Mind / Powerslave era.

Does anyone remember the Lucozade ad on the telly with "Phantom of the Opera" as the music? Or am I too old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The latest one worth getting then? Not sure what you mean by "progressive".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Does anyone remember the Lucozade ad on the telly with "Phantom of the Opera" as the music? Or am I too old?

Sounds just like someone overdubbed Maiden on a normal ad for the laugh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

At the time it just fit perfectly. But then rock was far more mainstream then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

Numbers of the beast, killers, matter of life and death and powerslave are my favourites.....can't wait to see them again. Such a good show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For those of you going to Twickenham, ye're in for a treat. Paris WEdnesday night was amazing. Only thing wrong with an outdoor venue is the epicness of Rime of the Ancient Mariner will be a bit lost, but other than that, look forward to it..a lot. Great show, high energy, great setlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭remo2

hmm maiden albums :rolleyes: i think yer best bet would be to jus get them all
    that way you'll wont be missing out on anything juicey;)

if i was to pick a favorite album it would be Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son :)

if yeh never get to see them were an IRON MAIDEN tribute band :D called IRELAND MAIDEN www.myspace.com/irelandmaiden
    you could all ways come an see us play;):D

were lookin for a singer and a second guitarist so if yis know any who could do the job let them know were looking

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

I have recently only got into these guys. Was wondering is there any maiden experts on here and if they could tell me what their best albums are. i only have the killers one and number of the beast. they seem to have millions of bloody albums! are they like most bands, their earlier stuff being the best?
    I think from powerslave onwards their albums became great,seventh son is another gem but listen out for their long ballads he Alexander the great and Rime of the Ancient mariner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Please don't resurrect ancient threads, there's a Maiden mega thread already for all things Maiden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement