Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest car per VRT band

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

With the new VRT rules coming in in just 10 days time, I was wondering what is the fastest car for each VRT band(excluding band G)?

I'm wondering what the fastest petrols and diesels are in each band? If a hybrid/flexi fuel model turns out to be the fastest, then can we have the non hybrid/non flexifuel version as well? I don't the "oh all that torque makes this car the fastest" lark, I want official 0-60 and top speed times:)!

For band F the fastest petrol is the Porsche 911 Careera 2 PDK which manages 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and does around 176 mph IIRC.

So... any takers for the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

have nothing to contribute e92 but a great idea, maybe a top 5 for each band?

how does the porka get into this band btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

I approve of this thread. It appeals to the statto in me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Thank direct injection for it(and the PDK, or DSG to you and me).

Direct injection is as good for fuel economy in petrols as common rail was for getting rid of noise and pollution in diesels. And you get more power too. The only problem with it is it needs ultra low sulphur fuel to work properly, otherwise we will have the Mitsubishi GDI engine problems all over again(coking as early as 60k miles). So in countries with crappy fuel it won't be very reliable, but there are no negatives to reliability if high quality fuel is used. It also produces more Nitrous Oxide and PM than old fashioned petrols, but is much better than diesel and the difference is very small again when high quality petrol is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Also of curiosity value would be most frugal (officially) per band.
    E92 wrote:
    Direct injection is as good for fuel economy in petrols as common rail was for getting rid of noise and pollution in diesels.
    Interesting statement as Direct Injection has introduced heavy particulates (pollution) into the petrol exhaust for the first time, whereas they have always been there in diesels.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hmmm, not saying you have an ulterior motive E but am guessing bmw are going to win every band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well he has just shown porsche wins band F

JHMEG thats a good idea re frugality but maybe keep the threads seperate

Well...the thing is I don't know copacetic:D! I have absolutely no idea who makes the fastest in each band, other than the fastest band F petrol is a Porsche 911 Carerra 2 with PDK.

I want to see what gives the most performance while depriving the Government of money at the same time, and which is faster in each category: petrol or diesel?

Diesel will win the frugality one owing to the fact that it produces 13% more CO2 than petrol per litre burned. That's not really a good idea....other than showing that while diesel may be as much as 30% more frugal than an equivalent petrol, it is anything but 30% greener.

E92 wrote: »
    Diesel will win the frugality one owing to the fact that it produces 13% more CO2 than petrol per litre burned. That's not really a good idea....other than showing that while diesel may be as much as 30% more frugal than an equivalent petrol, it is anything but 30% greener.
    Not the point. Some people (me included) would like to know the most frugal cars out there, diesel or petrol.

Anyway, for speed, Band A is the 2.0L Diesel BMW 118d, 0-60 in 8.6 sec, top speed 130mph. Squeaks into Band A at 119g.

OK.. here's my list

Band A: Petrol(hybrid):

Honda Civic hybrid

0-100 in 12.1 seconds
    Top speed 185 km/h(115 mph)

Toyota Prius(hybrid)

0-100 in 10.9 seconds
    Top speed 170 km/h(106 mph)

Honda has highest top speed, Toyota has fastest 0-100 time

Petrol:

Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107

0-100 in 14.2 seconds
    Top speed 160 km/h(100 mph)

Diesel:

BMW 118d hatchback(manual)

0-100 in 8.9 seconds
    Top speed 210 km/h(130 mph)

So, diesel is fastest for 0-100 and top speed here. Conventional petrol is slowest, while the Civic has the highest top speed for a petrol and the Prius is the fastest band A petrol from 0-100.

Band B: Petrol:

BMW 118i hatchback(manual)

0-100 in 8.7 seconds
    Top speed 210 km/h(130 mph)

Diesel:

BMW 123d hatchback(manual)

0-100 in 6.9 seconds
    Top speed 238 km/h (148 mph)

Another decisive victory for paraffin stoves

Band C: Petrol:

Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 211 bhp saloon (manual, FWD)

0-100 in 6.9 seconds
    Top speed 250 km/h(155 mph), electronically limited

Diesel:

BMW 325d saloon(manual)

0-100 in 7.6 seconds
    Top speed 235 km/h(146 mph)

At last, a victory for petrol.

Band D: Petrol:

BMW 325i saloon(manual)

0-100 in 6.7 seconds

Diesel:
    BMW 330d saloon(manual)

0-100 in 6.7 seconds

This one is tied:D!

Band E: Petrol:

Audi TT-S Coupé

0-100 in 5.9 seconds

Diesel:

BMW 335d saloon

0-100 in 6.2 seconds

Petrol wins again:)!

Band F: Petrol:

Porsche 911 Careera 2 with PDK(Double Clutch transmission)

0-100 in 4.5 seconds
    Top speed 278 km/h (176 mph)

Diesel:

Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro

0-100 in 6.9 seconds
    Top speed 247 km/h(148 mph)

Petrol is easily the winner here.

So... it is clear that apart from Band A and Band B, if you want performance and a low carbon footprint to boot, petrol is still the best option:)!

I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this, when I was going through bands A& B I was getting worried that this would be a diesel walk over; fortunately most of the fastest cars in each VRT band still use the superior fuel i.e. petrol;)!

• Advertisement

Well that kinda killed that thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

E92 wrote: »

I'm quite pleasantly surprised by this, when I was going through bands A& B I was getting worried that this would be a diesel walk over; fortunately most of the fastest cars in each VRT band still use the superior fuel i.e. petrol;)!

You've got 2 wins for diesel and 3 for petrol and one tie. Doesn't exactly make petrol stand out as a clear runaway winner really.

Also, the lower bands are dominated by diesel which in all likelyhood will be the bands that the average buyer will be purchasing cars from.

Well I'm only guessing off the top of my head (I don't memorise all that 0-100 stuff obviously, the joys of the internet, I just took a guess that those were the fastest really) - I'm wondering can anyone find anything out there that can beat what I have above?
    PaulKK wrote: »
    You've got 2 wins for diesel and 3 for petrol and one tie. Doesn't exactly make petrol stand out as a clear runaway winner really.

Well what I actually said is that most of the fastest cars in each VRT band are petrol, which they are! And if we went to band G of course petrol would make minced meat there too. I don't deny that most buyers will be plumping for something in Band A or Band B, however the whole purpose of this exercise was to find out what is the fastest in each category - this is a sire for people who like cars after all;)!

The 3 most impressive performers IMO are the Porsche(obviously) the 123d(the engine only, the rest of the car sucks) and the A4 2.0 TFSI. Note that all the fastest petrols bar those in Band A use direct injection too. If we had more engines like the A4 2.0 TFSI we wouldn't be long seeing people going back to petrol across the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why would you want to know the most frugal car in a particular band? for example, the worst performer in band C would probably be better on fuel than the winner of the band F category. what does it prove, or how is it useful to know?

Advertisement