Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: what kind of watts does a kettle pull

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a 12v-220 converter for the car and wonder what kind of things could you use. The mate has one and the spec says Output:150w max . I looked on the bottom of the kettle and unless I am wrong it reads 1850-2200w. Every so often I need to use a electric jigsaw or planer in places there is no juice and was hoping I could use the converter plugged into the car. Am I being unrealistic and if so is there anything else I could use or is it just a case of having to buy a Jenny

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cubix wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a 12v-220 converter for the car and wonder what kind of things could you use. The mate has one and the spec says Output:150w max . I looked on the bottom of the kettle and unless I am wrong it reads 1850-2200w. Every so often I need to use a electric jigsaw or planer in places there is no juice and was hoping I could use the converter plugged into the car. Am I being unrealistic and if so is there anything else I could use or is it just a case of having to buy a Jenny

Thanks

Yea the best you'll do from a small 12V inverter is a few hundred watts, so all you can really run is small items, eg chargers etc....

A small generator would be your best bet, you still won't be able to run a kettle, but should be able to run small appliances... i think Aldi have something like a 1.5Kw one for around €100, you can't really do better than that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I looked on the bottom of the kettle and unless I am wrong it reads 1850-2200w

Sounds correct.

I have seen coffee machines that are designed to work off the 12 volt cigerette lighter socket in a car.

Try a few car shops, it may be possible to buy a small 12 volt kettle designed for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads, I presume the kettles that are suited to cars just take longer to boil. Is there a cheap and cheerfull piece of kit that you would plug in between say a planner and the wall to measure how much juice it was pulling or would most tools have it labled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cubix wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I presume the kettles that are suited to cars just take longer to boil. Is there a cheap and cheerfull piece of kit that you would plug in between say a planner and the wall to measure how much juice it was pulling or would most tools have it labled

You can get "1 cup" electric kettles which operate from a car, but it would take a massive amount of power to boil a full size kettle! Say it takes 2Kw to boil a kettle, off 220V the current is about 10A, off 12V the current would be 166A.

Now your car battery is probably about 55Amp Hours, hence it could run your 166A kettle for 55/166 hours or 20mins before it would be completely flat. In practice you'd be lucky to get 10mins out of your car battery at that sort of load.

Yea maplin do energy meters, but it should also be labelled on the device too.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223573&criteria=energy%20meter&doy=21m6
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&criteria=energy%20meter&doy=21m6

Advertisement