Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How bad is the damage?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey Lads/Lassies

I've been driving a 1.4 TDI Seat Cordoba for the past 10/11 months, I do some serious milleage to be honest with work and all the rest (approx 60,000 Km in 11 months), now there was close to 100,000 km on the clock and about this stage I was informed by several people that I was time to get a new timing belt. I took this fairly seriously (as I know it means a new engine if it goes) and about 7 weeks ago I got the whole thing serviced.

Replaced the following:

- timing belt
    - tb tensioner
    - tb pully
    - water pump
    - fan belt

Work done:
    - oil was changed
    - front and rear breaks checked
    - Lights, Level's (whatever that means?), wipers, battery levels, and types

Further Reccomendations:
    - Front Brakes will need replacing soon

So I was fairly happy with things, and thinking all was fine an dandy till the next service. But this morning on the way to work my engine "Stuttered" (this my best way of describing it) I heard a beep and I noticed my Traction Control System was enabled but I know I didn't enable it, I was going to get it looked at tomorrow as I was planning on getting new front brakes over the weekend. However when trying to drive home after work tonight by car cut out and the oil / engine pressure light came on (car sounded normal apart from this), knowing very little about cars I tried to restart it, all sounded normal bar the fact that the engine wouldn't fire. Anyway long story short my car is in a garage at the moment, and It won't get seen to till monday when I plan to get it dropped to an official Seat Dealer, and I'm sceptical whether the above engine report was true, as I did notice that the the rear brake light were out after the service (I replaced them myself in Halfords, as it was a minor cost, but this was supposed to be check).

A friend of mine told me I maybe looking at a new engine could this be true? Do this symptoms sound systematic of any particular problem?

Thanks for the help/input you guys can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Very hard to say without having a mechanic look at the car. Don't worry if the oil pressure light only came on when the car stalled, it's normal to have zero oil pressure when the engine's not running. It could be something quite simple and cheap to repair. Try not to worry too much, all will be revealed on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

Thanks for the reply, I hope you're right ever time a car beeps / splutters I seem to lose between €200 - €400 I've been lucky so far with this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

To be honest if you say there was no mechanical mis-sounds I would start to question your ECU or some kind of computer in the car if it goes turning on and off things ( ie traction control ). Get it hooked up to a VAGcom if you can, that should tell you any faults with the " brains " of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

most likely a faulty sensor but it costs alot to get them checked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

S.I.R wrote: »
    most likely a faulty sensor but it costs alot to get them checked...

260 bills to fix it, it was faulty wiring under the dash, it's been running soundly even since. Thank god :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

260 to fix faulty wiring? Who wired it wrong in the first place?

Advertisement