Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify a bird from it's song?

• 20-06-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

I've been hearing a birdsong most mornings at dawn for the past few weeks, and I could use some help in figuring out what it is. I haven't been able to catch sight of it, nor have I any means of recording it, so bear with me while I attempt to describe it's song.

Each call is broken up into two distinct parts, with sometimes part two breaking into a couple more parts. The first part is always repeated and features a series of 6-8 short whistles in rapid succession. Part two is then a (seemingly) random selection from a repertoire of diving sounds and shrieks and all sorts of complex stuff.

It's a fascinating bird to listen to and would very much like to find out more about it. My description is sketchy, I know, but if anyone can help shed some light, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

it sound like a blackbird maybe?? usually the first few short calls they sing are the very same and the next is what you said kind of random squalk chirp type call??? maybe i just made matters more confusing for you haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Could be a blackbird alright, Here's a link if you scroll down and listen to the calls they might give you an idea.
    Blackbird

Could also be a starling they can have very intricate songs and tend to vary a lot here's another link.
    Starling

Here's the link to the main page if you want to try different birds like song thrush and the likes.
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks for the suggestions and links guys.

I've checked all the common birds that I know of, along with your suggestions, on the RSPB site (can listen to their songs there also). The closest matches I've come to it are the Garden Warbler and the Blackcap. They're similar, but still not it. I'll try and see if I can get a rudimentary recording together the next time I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Another bird worth comparing to is sedge warbler: can imitate other birds but has it's own rapid mix of warbling and chattering too. They can sing their heads off from the depths of a hedge or bush so the fact you haven't been able to spot it could be a clue :-).

What kind of habitat is in the area... Suburbia? Woodland? Scrubland? Dampish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

i would go along with Sedge warbler also especially if you are close to water. I've heard a few this year and they sound exactly like your description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Sedge warbler could be it. Although it still doesn't sound like a good match to me. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the bird again since this wet weather moved in, so still no chance to try and get a recording of it.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to hear it again before the summer's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

Tzetze wrote: »
    Part two is then a (seemingly) random selection from a repertoire of diving sounds and shrieks and all sorts of complex stuff.

Celine Dion?

Advertisement