Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to surfing...

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've recently taken up surfing and I'm completely hooked! I found this site for looking at the surf forecast but can someone help me interpret it? Is the forecast for tomorrow any good? I don't really know what I'm looking at!

http://magicseaweed.com/Cork-Area-Surf-Report/54/weekSummary/uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hi,Scoot on,In answer to your question:Usually when the swell and wind are comming from the same direction,it usually gets blown out i.e.little power in the waves and not very long lasting.
    What you are basically looking for is offshore winds and onshore swell,or as near as possible also for Garretstown lowtide is best..

On the link you provided click on the
    Gtown surf school link to get a view of the current wave situation,(when your man feels like up dating it)
    Heading out myself tomorrow,probably Garretstown or Inchadonny,will wait till morning before deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

wideangle wrote: »
    Hi,Scoot on,In answer to your question:Usually when the swell and wind are comming from the same direction,it usually gets blown out i.e.little power in the waves and not very long lasting.
    What you are basically looking for is offshore winds and onshore swell,or as near as possible also for Garretstown lowtide is best..

On the link you provided click on the
    Gtown surf school link to get a view of the current wave situation,(when your man feels like up dating it)
    Heading out myself tomorrow,probably Garretstown or Inchadonny,will wait till morning before deciding.

Cool thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I was looking at it stupid for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Magicseaweed sucks áss big time. I dont know where they get their forecasting data from, but it has been wrong 100% of the time for the last 6 months.

A far more decent site is www.windguru.com and its been accurate nearly 100% of the time I have referred to it.

Thing to watch out for besides wave height, is wind speed. Too hi (over 35kph) you'll get cráp surf. You can also change all the reading from knots to kph to mph etc by clicking on the hyperlink beside the wind speed to get whatever one you are more comfortable with.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

wideangle wrote: »
    What you are basically looking for is offshore winds and onshore swell

ok, I'm going to show my own ignorance here and ask what the hell these are!!

I'm guessing offshore winds are winds that blow from the beach out to the sea??

And as for onshore swell - aren't all swells onshore?? i.e. roll towards the beach??.... As I said, pardon the ignorance!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

*bump*

sorry - can anyone actually answer these questions??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

You are correct about the Ofshore wind wind. But Swell comes from a direction also. If you look at www.magicseaweed.com and click on the swell map you will see what I mean as you can see the swell build and move either away from or to a land mass.

Question for any Dublin surfers- Where is the surf spot shown on the east coast near dublin. And when is it surfable - ie high/low tide. wave height needed? Cheers

Advertisement